Sinking Stidd chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Before I tear this thing apart, has anyone fixed a Stidd chair post that won't stay tight?

I've got one on the flybridge that I cannot tighten enough to keep it from slowly creeping down. I don't know if there's a clamp or other sort of surface in there that might need replacing. The sliding handle works but I just can't get enough clamping force to prevent it from sinking. The drop isn't immediate, it usually takes a bit of closely-space waves to put enough vibration through it to have it slowly creep down.

The other chairs are fine, another on the flybridge and one down at the station in the salon.

I don't know what parts/pieces are involved inside and figured it might be worth asked here about it before undertaking the task and calling Stidd.

I would call them first. Good chairs but spendy.

I would call them first. Good chairs but spendy.

I have spoken with them in the past, for the broken cupholder contraptions, and their support was excellent. I do plan on giving them a call during the week.

I know this is silly, but reading the title made me think "Have you called the Coast Guard"?

I don't actually know the answer, but will say I have Stidd chair envy! First step to curing that is to find a boat that could even use a helm chair (working on that).

Stidd

I just tested mine and i dont even have to tighten it very tight and it doesn't slip at all,in that tightening collar there looks to be some sort of plastic or rubber ring that grabs main pole,maybe that is missing or worn out,×because that is the only mechanism that locks the spring from raising or from sinking,and it only takes 10 mins to take it apart anyway

Attachments

• 20210912_200902.jpg
    20210912_200902.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I just tested mine and i dont even have to tighten it very tight and it doesn't slip at all,in that tightening collar there looks to be some sort of plastic or rubber ring that grabs main pole,maybe that is missing or worn out,×because that is the only mechanism that locks the spring from raising or from sinking,and it only takes 10 mins to take it apart anyway

Thanks, yes, it's that lower clamp. The one on the helm chair just does not get tight enough anymore. Before I tore it apart I figured someone else would have an idea like that. I plan on calling them this week to ask.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom