SidePower Joystick Control Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
I have 2 joystick controls for the SidePower thruster, one in the pilot house and one on the FB. Thruster works fine from both stations, but the FB station power light will NOT turn off.

I can turn the thruster off but the light stays on. Joystick does nothing even though the light is on. I then press both 'on' buttons and the thruster works as it should and the light stays on. Turn it off and the light stays on but thruster does not work (as it should not).

Anyone seen this problem? The troubleshooting guide addresses the reverse of my problem, ie light does NOT come on, but says nothing about the light staying on. :confused:

I haven't seen that problem, but have had poor luck with my external joystick. Like you, I have an inside one in the pilothouse and an outside one at my stern docking station. I'm on my 3rd joystick at the docking station, but the pilothouse one is still original, if that tells you everything. The original (20 years old) wasn't sealed from the bottom well. The next one seemed to be improved. The third version looks even better. The third version has been in place for 3 years now. I keep a spare on the boat. Not real happy with the situation, but it's out in the weather and I expect a shorter life expectancy.

I would buy a replacement. They are plug and play. Pretty easy to test whether it's all in the joystick (which I expect). Depending on your version, you may have to make a cover plate between the console and the new joystick. The newer versions seal with a nice oring to the plate or console which probably improves life expectancy.

Ted

You could try switching the joysticks and see if the problem tracks to the other station. That would indicate if its bad.

I have 2 joystick controls for the SidePower thruster, one in the pilot house and one on the FB. Thruster works fine from both stations, but the FB station power light will NOT turn off.

I can turn the thruster off but the light stays on. Joystick does nothing even though the light is on. I then press both 'on' buttons and the thruster works as it should and the light stays on. Turn it off and the light stays on but thruster does not work (as it should not).

Anyone seen this problem? The troubleshooting guide addresses the reverse of my problem, ie light does NOT come on, but says nothing about the light staying on. :confused:
I would replace it for sure if it is a pad upgrade to the toggle a lot easier to use, it is apparent the off is not killing power to the switch and I would not want it coming on when you don't want it to. as you know the light should be off. also the remote is a nice addition, its great at the dock holding the boat to the dock once untied.

I don’t know if this is useful, but circa 2012 I had one of the sidepower controls fail on a 2 year old boat. It was exterior mounted. As I recall sidepower provided a free replacement, and it was fine from then on.

When I had a SidePower motor issue, I found their tech assist very helpful. The owner is IMTRA, by the way.

A little different subject. One of the best additions I have made to my boat is the Sidepower Remote Control Kit RC-20U.

I have bow and stern thrusters. When casting off solo, if the boat drifts away from the dock I can use the remote to bring it right back.

Currents are swift here. I can use the outgoing current to push the boat out of the slip. I can stand at the stern and start my turn with the thrusters as soon as the stern clears the finger pier.

Easy install.

Thanks all. I'll see if Imtra tech support checks their email ...

I used to just call them and select technical support and they would help me. When we sold the boat with the Sidepower thruster in it I deleted the number or I would give it to you. You can Google it.

When I had a SidePower motor issue, I found their tech assist very helpful. The owner is IMTRA, by the way.

I think Imtra is just their US distributor. Sidepower is part of Sleipner who are a long standing Norwegian company.

Regardless, in the US Imtra are the right people to call.

Thanks all. I'll see if Imtra tech support checks their email ...

So first thing Monday morning I had a reply from tech support. Much appreciated. :thumb:

Still working through it to see what gives.

Turns out that the light staying On indicates that the protective timer circuitry is bad. The timer prevents you from running the thruster for too long and causing damage I assume.

Tech support was great. Said I could still operate without the safety feature if I wanted to, or would need to replace the unit.

Off to find a new joystick.... sigh.

If you have Sidepower thrusters with remote control, it is wise to have the master isolation control boxes installed readily to hand. Last year in open water, (fortunately) both my bow and stern thrusters began to operate all by themselves with joysticks and remote having no effect. They stopped only by pushing the big red buttons, which on my boat are not quite handily placed.
The fault proved to be in the remote control receiving box, which was located in a protected dry location. Imtra supplied a new receiver and all was well, but it could have proved a major problem if I'd been piloting in a marina.

Side power controller

Had a very similar problem talk to the manufacturer they recommended adding a on off power switch which took care of my problem which was but I couldn’t turn the system off

Found the joystick on sale and installed it today. All is back to normal :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom