Sanitary tank level???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrhodes777

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1988 46' Grand Banks Classic
So we have a 1988 46 GB with two sanitary tanks and two fresh water tanks and no way of knowing the level. So...we have been considering adding digital level indication. We have looked into Blue Sea Systems which uses ultrasonic senders, Maretron which uses submersible pressure transducers and New Providence Systems which uses submersible PVC tubes with an internal induction coil. The fresh water tanks are steel and the sanitary tank is a fiberglass molded in place. Suggestions???

So we have a 1988 46 GB with two sanitary tanks and two fresh water tanks and no way of knowing the level. So...we have been considering adding digital level indication. We have looked into Blue Sea Systems which uses ultrasonic senders, Maretron which uses submersible pressure transducers and New Providence Systems which uses submersible PVC tubes with an internal induction coil. The fresh water tanks are steel and the sanitary tank is a fiberglass molded in place. Suggestions???
We installed the pvc tubes. Works just fine.

Look at Gobius external tank level indicators.

Uses external glued on sensors instead of an internal sensor.

Marine Sanitation in Seattle is a dealer. Or look online.

I can’t see our level by just looking but if I use a bright flashlight w the bright end pressed against the tank side I can see the level quite well.

I thought about keeping a log about how many flushes and if full flushes or partial. But if we made a mistake we’d have sewage up through the holding tank vent tubes on deck. Done wanna do dat again.

I use a Gobius on aluminum water tanks, has worked flawlessly for me. I’m not sure how well they work on Fiberglas tanks.

Check out the SCAD system Scad Tank Monitors for your waste tanks. They've now taken over sales for the Profile systems (New Providence is/was actually only design and mfr'g for them until Dennis Ferriello's health failed was only temporarily handling any marketing). Unless your waste tanks are exceptionally thick-walled, you should be able to use the external sender on them. Another system may be a better choice for your water tanks.

--Peggie

Blue Sky has a Tankwatch4 system for monitoring the black water tank. In our 6 years of ownership the system has been rock solid reliable, and I believe that it is at least 15 years old.
Having said that, if I were looking for a new system I would look very closely at the system that Peggie is suggesting. Firstly because Peggie really knows her stuff, and secondly, any time you can avoid going inside a black water tank is a good day.

I use a Gobius on aluminum water tanks, has worked flawlessly for me. I’m not sure how well they work on Fiberglas tanks.

Gobius works with fiberglass, plastic, aluminum and steel tanks.

I've sold and installed Scad tank monitors before switching to Gobius. The Gobius is a little more reliable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom