Raritan Lectrasan Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brbayou1

Vessel Make
Californian 38
Hello All,
We have a Lectrasan Unit with Salt Feed System that maintains 2 heads. We are new owners learning this system. We have used the system without issue for 4 months. Within the past 2 weeks we started having a foul odor and decided to do the Muratic Acid Treatment as described in the manual.
We disconnected the positive main line, then removed the 3 fuses, keeping them in the ABC order. We ran the treatment without issue. We then reconnected the fuses and main positive. We also cleaned a tiny bit of corrosion on the fuse connections and added dielectric grease. Now the system does not run at all.
All of the connections are tight and everything is in original positions.
We confirmed power to the unit itself. Any ideas or experience with this? Appreciate any help- Thanks!

MC

Wow excited to have the "Head Mistress" respond to my request for help! I already know your name and great reputation! The system is MC. I live an hour away from the boat but will be on the boat until about 2:30 central time today if I need to look up any other info or you need something checked. Otherwise we plan to be back on the boat on Saturday. Thanks!!!

The MC was discontinued more than 10 years ago...so long ago that the owners manual for it is no longer available online. So I'm guessing it was already installed on the boat when you bought it.

That you experienced odor is a strong indication that the electrode pack has failed, maybe just due to age, or maybe from being used while in serious need of cleaning. The manual only calls for annual cleaning with muriatic acid, but because warm sea water has a much higher concentration of sea water minerals than cooler water, that should be done every few months (a major shortcoming in the instructions).

Or you may have run out of salt in the salt feed tank. Operating the LS with low or no salt will damage/kill the electrodes.

It should not have been necessary to disconnect fuses etc just to clean the electrode pack, so it's entirely possible that you just have a mionor electrical problem. So I'm gonna hand you off to Raritan tech support. They're well trained and helpful and actually answer the phone! So call Raritan 800-352-5630 Jerry is one the senior techies, has been there long enough to be familiar with the MC. His extension is 236. Now that life is getting back to normal agains, tech support has been awash in boat owners needing help, so you may get his voice mail...he WILL call you back, though it may be next day. Be sure to tell him I sent you directly to him.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Hi Peggie,
Thank you so much for your comments and information. We will try to contact Raritan. The unit was on the boat when purchased, but I did find a MC manual. I could get a PDF copy of that to you for your reference library if you would be interested. The boat is in a brackish water marina in New Orleans, and we keep the salt system maintained with solar salt. It seemed to be working well for a few months, but we use the system every weekend. Prior to that it was rarely used for a few years. I think the last time the system was used consistently was 5-6 year ago around the Great Loop. Boat is a 1983 Californian 38'
Let me know how I can get a copy of the MC manual to you if you want a copy- Thanks again, Marcia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom