Racor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 8 kw westerbake genset what size racor should I use . My present one is leaking from the
Bottom of the racor . Thank you

I have a NL 9Kw and it uses a Racor 500. I would think you could buy a rebuild kit for your existing filter housing though. It’s not an uncommon maintenance chore.

Yes you can get parts at the Racor Store or eBay. Watch out for cheap Chinese knockoffs that may or may not fit correctly.
My 8 kw gen taps off downstream of my Racor 500 for the main engine. My gen uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. The Racor can easily handle both.

Last edited:
I have a 8 kw westerbake genset what size racor should I use . My present one is leaking from the

Why bother replacing it? As High Wire does, tee off from your main engine filter. I do not us Racors but I do tee from my mains for both my generators. 20210911_095115.jpg

Yes you can get parts at the Racor Store or eBay. Watch out for cheap Chinese knockoffs that may or may not fit correctly.
My 8 kw gen taps off downstream of my Racor 500 for the main engine. My gen uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. The Racor can easily handle both.

There is a missconception in regard to these Chinese made Racor 500 copies.

That is what they are, copies. The Parker Racor Patent has long expired - Patents only last 20 years - so the technology is free for anyone to use.

I have one genuine 500 series and one Chinese copy.

A new genuine 500 series is £200.00 Stirling, a Chinese copy £35.00.

With the copy I spent 15 minutes cleaning a bit of casting fraze off the unit and fitting genuine seals and element.

Three years in use, perfect in every respect.

The price differential here in the UK makes fitting a Chinese copy a no brainer.

There is a missconception in regard to these Chinese made Racor 500 copies.

That is what they are, copies. The Parker Racor Patent has long expired - Patents only last 20 years - so the technology is free for anyone to use.

I'm one who uses the term "Chinese knock-offs." No misconception at all. No one claimed intellectual property rip off. Chinese low price products are made to look like an established brand but are often not manufactured to the same tolerances and standards. In my book, that's a knock off.

YouTube channel Project Farm does all sorts of comparisons. Embedded in this 20 min video is a comparison of a new Craftsman 10 inch adjustable wrench now made in China, and an old (but new) Craftsmam when they were built in America that he found on eBay. Difference between the two is remarkable.

https://youtu.be/cyOd05PUix4

The Chinese are definitely capable of very high quality manufacturing. But they are often called upon to build to a very low price point. The result is frequently inconsistent - one can work okay, next one is junk (don't even think of saving money on marine circuit breakers).

I'm glad your racor knock off is working well for you. Not saying I wouldn't make a similar choice - I have a few cheap Harbor Freight tools that I knew I would only need once or twice. That's not a bargain. It's a decision. And it's a knock-off.

Peter

Last edited:

Perhaps you can just replace the seal and valve at the bottom?

And if you don't already have the optional brass valve and stop nut, might be a good "upgrade" of sorts for draining, anyway.

-Chris

I'm one who uses the term "Chinese knock-offs." No misconception at all. No one claimed intellectual property rip off. Chinese low price products are made to look like an established brand but are often not manufactured to the same tolerances and standards. In my book, that's a knock off.

YouTube channel Project Farm does all sorts of comparisons. Embedded in this 20 min video is a comparison of a new Craftsman 10 inch adjustable wrench now made in China, and an old (but new) Craftsmam when they were built in America that he found on eBay. Difference between the two is remarkable.

The Chinese are definitely capable of very high quality manufacturing. But they are often called upon to build to a very low price point. The result is frequently inconsistent - one can work okay, next one is junk (don't even think of saving money on marine circuit breakers).

I'm glad your racor knock off is working well for you. Not saying I wouldn't make a similar choice - I have a few cheap Harbor Freight tools that I knew I would only need once or twice. That's not a bargain. It's a decision. And it's a knock-off.

Peter

The problem here is one of perception - two countries separated by a common language.

'Knock off' this side of the pond means Patent infringement.

For example, Whittle invented the Jet Turbine engine in 1933 IIRC.

We had working jet planes in the UK before WW2.

Your guys said it would never catch on. They changed their minds and the technology was given to your post war Government as something towards the UK's massive debt to you.

Knock off?

Depends what side of the fence you are on.

I would just rebuild the one you have. I have had good success with racorstore.com for parts. As said I would put the proper metal drain valve on it.

Peter
Or anything with an electric motor if long-term reliability is a concern. The quality/purity ofmthe copper used by the Chinese in the manufature of their motors is inferior.

I agree with Comodave - replace the bad parts. However, if you don't rebuild it, I would buy another filter rather than tee off the main engine Racor's output line. That way if the filter clogs, you don't lose both, and if one unit suddenly quits or has rough running issues, the troubleshooting won't involve a dual use Racor.

I ran a 7.5 KW generator for years on a Racor 500 sized filter, but that was way more capacity than needed. I did so because it used the same filter cartridges as my two main engines'

Fast forward many years, and now I still have a couple of Racor 500s for my single engine but my teeny tiny 3.5 KW generator came to me with a smaller Racor 120 using a R12T, 10 micron filter element. This small unit has a 15-18 gallons per hour flow rate, many times more that the nominal .75 to 1 gallon per hour usage.

I agree with Comodave - replace the bad parts. However, if you don't rebuild it, I would buy another filter rather than tee off the main engine Racor's output line. That way if the filter clogs, you don't lose both, and if one unit suddenly quits or has rough running issues, the troubleshooting won't involve a dual use Racor.

I ran a 7.5 KW generator for years on a Racor 500 sized filter, but that was way more capacity than needed. I did so because it used the same filter cartridges as my two main engines'

Fast forward many years, and now I still have a couple of Racor 500s for my single engine but my teeny tiny 3.5 KW generator came to me with a smaller Racor 120 using a R12T, 10 micron filter element. This small unit has a 15-18 gallons per hour flow rate, many times more that the nominal .75 to 1 gallon per hour usage.
Rich, I am not worried about my filters becoming clogged without my knowing. That's what the vacuum gauges are for. My engine room is very accesible and I check the gauges every day that we run. Plus, I never run both the engine and the generator at the same time but it woudn't be a risk anyway given that I pay daily attention to the gauges. But, nothing wrong with rehabbing the existing Racor.

Side note - my son just became a Senior Chief Petty Officer. He is assigned to the staff of the Nimitz Carrier Strike Force in Everett, WA.

Last edited:
I am sure you are meticulous, but as we said in the Navy, your setup does not conform to what we called "good engineering practice" for redundancy.

Getting to Senior chief is a great accomplishment, and I am sure you are proud. When I had the weapons department in USS Iowa, I had about five master chiefs (E-9) working under the officers below me, but it was the senior chiefs (E-8) who were the really knowledgeable techs and who "got it dun." What is your son's rate?

I am sure you are meticulous, but as we said in the Navy, your setup does not conform to what we called "good engineering practice" for redundancy.

Getting to Senior chief is a great accomplishment, and I am sure you are proud. When I had the weapons department in USS Iowa, I had about five master chiefs (E-9) working under the officers below me, but it was the senior chiefs (E-8) who were the really knowledgeable techs and who "got it dun." What is your son's rate?
He is a CTT (Crytologic Technician Technical). Runs ship's defense radars in the CIC. Yup, a proud papa. I do understand the concept of redundancy and those who are avid proponents. I have two propulsion engines and two generators. [Humor]

The Iowa, although I know she would be expensive to keep at sea and may have limited value as a battle platform, but I sure would like to see her in commission again regardless of the expense. She would be a powerful symbol and worth the expense for that reason alone.

I would just rebuild the one you have. I have had good success with racorstore.com for parts. As said I would put the proper metal drain valve on it.

Agreed. Takes 20 minutes and you will understand it’s operation when finished.

The Iowa, although I know she would be expensive to keep at sea and may have limited value as a battle platform, but I sure would like to see her in commission again regardless of the expense. She would be a powerful symbol and worth the expense for that reason alone.

Quite perceptive of you. PM I sent explains.

as the 2 previous posts stated just rebuild the 500 you have. I just rebuilt our 2 500's the one from our main and our gen. it was super simple and parts came in a rebuild kit from the racor store. I was apprehensive at first thinking i might screw up but it was simple and now I understand the filters more now. Be sure if you don't have them add metal bowls and the brass drain cocks to them. If you need any help let me know.

Amazon price
Racor 500MA & 500FG Seal Service Kit 15211
4.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings
Price: $54.60
=================================
WestMarine price
RACOR–Turbine Series Fuel Filter/Water Separator, 60 GPH, 4-Micron
(3)3.5 stars, 3 Reviews, skips to reviews
$209.99

Back to the original question. If you are always going to buy fuel in places that sell a lot of fuel and pay attention to cleanliness, then 2 Racors in parallel with valves to switch filters if one becomes clogged.

If you're going to other places -- parts of the Caribbean or other third world places, get two big Racors in parallel. Big filters will take much more bad stuff per dollar of cost than small ones. We made the mistake of using too small filters on our Swan 57 on our circumnav -- at one point clogged them in ten hours.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom