Racor 75/1000 too big ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigTime

Vessel Name
Shady Grove
Vessel Make
TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
So I just bought a very nice used Racor 75/1000 dual filter set on this forum. I've been wanting to get rid of my current dual spin-on set so I jumped at the chance to get these babies. I just received them and they are physically HUGE! Is it going to be ok running this 360gph monster on my fuel sipping single 135 Ford Lehman ?

if you have the space to fit these, yes.

all you have done is extend time between filter changes.

Since it is dual, you can switch underway when the vacuum displays such

Maybe someone will trade you for a like 500 series.

So I just bought a very nice used Racor 75/1000 dual filter set on this forum. I've been wanting to get rid of my current dual spin-on set so I jumped at the chance to get these babies. I just received them and they are physically HUGE! Is it going to be ok running this 360gph monster on my fuel sipping single 135 Ford Lehman ?
Ok, I can help you.
First, each filter chamber is only rated for 180 GPH. Pointing the arrow on the arm toward the left or right side utilizes that filter. Pointing the arrow up or down either gives you both or all off. You want to use only one at a time so that in an emergency you can switch to the other. While it will work fine with the Lehman, you can add a supplemental electric fuel pump that will pass much more fuel from the tanks, through the separator, and return it to the tank. In essence, it becomes a fuel polisher. If you want more information on doing that, just ask.

Ted

I was looking at the used setup for sale here and I did look at my current Racor 500 single and this dual 1000 is at least 6x bigger :ermm: than my current setup. I did not see a good place to mount it so I backed out of the purchase but i would like a dual filter setup someday.

I once bought a triple 1000 off a 60+ Hatteras. Then the problem was where to fit it in. I ended up selling it since it was just too big.

if you have the space to fit these, yes.

all you have done is extend time between filter changes.

Since it is dual, you can switch underway when the vacuum displays such

Thanks, Yes I have the perfect spot to mount them and I like the idea of extending maintenance !

Ok, I can help you.
First, each filter chamber is only rated for 180 GPH. Pointing the arrow on the arm toward the left or right side utilizes that filter. Pointing the arrow up or down either gives you both or all off. You want to use only one at a time so that in an emergency you can switch to the other. While it will work fine with the Lehman, you can add a supplemental electric fuel pump that will pass much more fuel from the tanks, through the separator, and return it to the tank. In essence, it becomes a fuel polisher. If you want more information on doing that, just ask.

Ted

Yes Ted , thank you. The idea of using as a kind of polisher sounds interesting.My boat has one of those very cheap electric fuel pumps on a manual switch to aid in filter servicing and bleeding and I've been thinking I should at least upgrade it to a Walbro . I believe the Lehman does not have a lot of return flow but it's enough to cause issues with my trim of not managed correctly since it's plumbed to return to only one tank.

Please tell me more

Yes Ted , thank you. The idea of using as a kind of polisher sounds interesting.My boat has one of those very cheap electric fuel pumps on a manual switch to aid in filter servicing and bleeding and I've been thinking I should at least upgrade it to a Walbro . I believe the Lehman does not have a lot of return flow but it's enough to cause issues with my trim of not managed correctly since it's plumbed to return to only one tank.

Please tell me more

So let me tell you about my friend's boat. He has a single Lehman 120 and 2 large side tanks. When he bought the boat, it already had a Racor 900 (90 GPH) installed. The boat hadn't been cruised much in the last couple of years and there was debris in the tanks. The problem was that the Lehman returns very little fuel. So when he was out cruising in lumpy conditions, a lot of debris could accumulate in the Racor. He ended up going into each tank and extracting most of the debris. Then we plumbed an electric fuel pump to add additional flow through the Racor. The accumulations now are fairly minimal, but stuff is still being collected in the Racor because the flow is no longer a few GPH but 30 to 40 GPH.

What I installed was a Facet cube pump.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/cube/

This style of pump is incredibly reliable and usually has several times the life of a traditional pump such as a Walbro. There limitation is flow and maximum pressure. In many newer applications the fuel flow needs to be higher to cool the injector pump and may require higher delivery pressures than a Facet is capable of.

The pump is a floating plunger with a spring, electric coil, and valve. The body is one piece with no seals other than the fuel in and out connections. You will find cheaper knockoffs, but not better quality than a Facet. Your current system bleeder pump is probably of this style. For this intended purpose, they're perfect and can usually be had for <$70.

The above page has a link to their models. Select the volume and voltage to determine model number. Then Google search Facet + the model number. My preference for a Racor 1000 would be the 50 GPH flow, but anything 30 GPH and above would be fine.

The plumbing is pretty straight forward. I would install a tee on the output of your Racor. If you have to run hose between the Racor and the tee, I would recommend 3/8" ID or bigger. Probably want a valve between the tee and the electric fuel pump, just to be safe. Ideally the pump should be mounted as low as practical with the inlet facing down / output facing up. This style of pump performs better pushing fuel up instead of sucking fuel up. Ideally you want to be returning the fuel from the tank you are drawing from.

Pump draws less than 2 amps, so running it whenever the engine is running, shouldn't be noticeable. Up to you as to wiring it on its own circuit or tying it to the engine ignition circuit.

Ted

Last edited:
So let me tell you about my friend's boat. He has a single Lehman 120 and 2 large side tanks. When he bought the boat, it already had a Racor 900 (90 GPH) installed. The boat hadn't been cruised much in the last couple of years and there was debris in the tanks. The problem was that the Lehman returns very little fuel. So when he was out cruising in lumpy conditions, a lot of debris could accumulate in the Racor. He ended up going into each tank and extracting most of the debris. Then we plumbed an electric fuel pump to add additional flow through the Racor. The accumulations now are fairly minimal, but stuff is still being collected in the Racor because the flow is no longer a few GPH but 30 to 40 GPH.

What I installed was a Facet cube pump.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/cube/

This style of pump is incredibly reliable and usually has several times the life of a traditional pump such as a Walbro. There limitation is flow and maximum pressure. In many newer applications the fuel flow needs to be higher to cool the injector pump and may require higher delivery pressures than a Facet is capable of.

The pump is a floating plunger with a spring, electric coil, and valve. The body is one piece with no seals other than the fuel in and out connections. You will find cheaper knockoffs, but not better quality than a Facet. Your current system bleeder pump is probably of this style. For this intended purpose, they're perfect and can usually be had for <$70.

The above page has a link to their models. Select the volume and voltage to determine model number. Then Google search Facet + the model number. My preference for a Racor 1000 would be the 50 GPH flow, but anything 30 GPH and above would be fine.

The plumbing is pretty straight forward. I would install a tee on the output of your Racor. If you have to run hose between the Racor and the tee, I would recommend 3/8" ID or bigger. Probably want a valve between the tee and the electric fuel pump, just to be safe. Ideally the pump should be mounted as low as practical with the inlet facing down / output facing up. This style of pump performs better pushing fuel up instead of sucking fuel up. Ideally you want to be returning the fuel from the tank you are drawing from.

Pump draws less than 2 amps, so running it whenever the engine is running, shouldn't be noticeable. Up to you as to wiring it on its own circuit or tying it to the engine ignition circuit.

Ted

Thanks Ted, great info on the facet/cube pump. Yes , I have a knock off for my priming pump. So just to clarify, a tee on the output side of the Racor with one line going to facet pump and the other line to the mechanical lift pump on the engine. Correct ? Will there be any issues with the engine pump loosing the supply battle with the electric pump ?

Thanks Ted, great info on the facet/cube pump. Yes , I have a knock off for my priming pump. So just to clarify, a tee on the output side of the Racor with one line going to facet pump and the other line to the mechanical lift pump on the engine. Correct ? Will there be any issues with the engine pump loosing the supply battle with the electric pump ?

There won't be any issue between the engine pump and the electric pump, provided the fuel line from the tanks, through the plumbing to the Racor, and on to the tee is 1/2". For my buddy's boat, fuel line runs from the tanks to the Racor were under 5' and the Racor was mounted below the bottom of the tanks, so the system was slightly pressurized. Some of the plumbing was 3/8" OD copper tubing and the tee was mounted to the Racor.

While 3/8" ID hose should work fine, I wasn't taking into account potentially longer fuel lines. The lines on my fuel polisher are longer, but the 1/2" lines originally supported a 4 GPM fuel flow.

Ted

There won't be any issue between the engine pump and the electric pump, provided the fuel line from the tanks, through the plumbing to the Racor, and on to the tee is 1/2". For my buddy's boat, fuel line runs from the tanks to the Racor were under 5' and the Racor was mounted below the bottom of the tanks, so the system was slightly pressurized. Some of the plumbing was 3/8" OD copper tubing and the tee was mounted to the Racor.

While 3/8" ID hose should work fine, I wasn't taking into account potentially longer fuel lines. The lines on my fuel polisher are longer, but the 1/2" lines originally supported a 4 GPM fuel flow.

Ted

Thanks,
I'm not quite ready to start this project but the opportunity to do this is too good to pass up .
Great idea !

Back
Top Bottom