Proper impeller puller Ford Lehman’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
The prior owner of our recently acquired grand Banks 42 with twin 120 Ford Lehmans said he never bothered with an impeller puller he just used the tools he had. I would like to obtain one and I’m looking for guidance on if there is any specific one I need given my engines? Is it fair to assume that on any 120 Ford Lehmans the water pump would be the same? If I need to provide additional information let me know what I should provide please.

Thank in advance for your guidance.

I just used a Jabsco impeller puller on my 225 Lehmans. I had to use a piece of all thread with double nuts since the T handle wouldn’t clear one of the pipes but otherwise it worked great. But the even better thing was a sleeve from impellertool.com for inserting the new impeller. Made it a piece of cake to do. No affiliation.

never needed to use a puller on any engine impeller. First make sure none of the fins are stuck to housing. Then usually try pliers and/or vice grip. If you greased the spline or never seize they pop right out.

never needed to use a puller on any engine impeller. First make sure none of the fins are stuck to housing. Then usually try pliers and/or vice grip. If you greased the spline or never seize they pop right out.
What he said. Grease the splines, out they come with a few wiggles. Just did it last week.

Needle nose pliers is what I use.

I have pulled so many impellers from the Johnson and Jabsco pumps of Lehman 120s I think they would fill a couple of 5-gallon buckets! There is no best puller in my mind, but whatever brand you select, if you just have to have one, it will be the smallest size. Two smallish needle-nosed pliers gripping the blades on either side of an impeller on a previously greased shaft will take about one tenth the time it takes to set up the awkward impeller puller. I promptly lost my Jabsco puller once I started with the pliers.
Whatever you do, don't resort to the crud (stupid?) method of using a screwdriver or two to pry the impeller out while damaging the edges of the bronze pump body.

I just replaced my impeller. Removal was simple with needle nose pliers. You can access the fins at about 300 degrees. Just pull lightly to begin with. Doesn't look like anything is happening the first couple of go-arounds.

The irritation for me is that a spare impeller costs $12. A spare with a paper gasket costs $18. $6 for a paper gasket!!! Inspecting the impeller is likely to mess up the gasket, so you are going to need more gaskets than impellers. So I mass produced 16 gaskets for $0.

Attachments

• 100_1670.jpg
    100_1670.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 26
2 drywall screws into the impeller and then a pair of vise grips.

Back
Top Bottom