Portlight outer rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
While I was working on phelps in the yard, I did some canvas work for a yard-neighbor. Discussion included Phelps , and the ruined teak inside at the portlights. All rings were broken (surprise) and PO went ape-s**t w/5200. Looks like the underside of a school desk. Anyway, this guy just happens to be in the SS fab business!
Take a look at these, not polished yet. I asked no screw holes in case the originals were WO-out, I'll drill my own in good wood.
Orgasmic !

Attachments

• IMG_20230910_113342058_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230910_113342058_HDR.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 41
I just saw a YouTube video (Ladyhawk) where the guy made a mold of his one good ring and molded all new ones in fiberglass. The originals were wood so these should last about 100 times longer. They came out pretty nice and were inexpensive. Not as nice as polished stainless but not many people could do that.

Wow - those are sweet!

Can't wait to start pulling portlights and windows to see what's been done (or not) to them over the years...

Might have to have a few made - or something. They're the ones in the forward cabin and they're set back about three inches. I haven't searched, but I'm guessing those aren't just "off-the-shelf" portlights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
I had S/S ones made for a previous boat. They looked great after I put them on the boat.

In some areas there are small companies that will cast in bronze if that is what one prefers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom