Pilothouse motor-sailors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNK

This is not my boat - I wish - but there was a thread recently in which a TF'er commented that for sailors moving to a trawler because they want to drive the boat in comfort during bad weather, a pilothouse design solves the problem. I was walking along the East River yesterday when this passed by- it is the Knickerbocker, a 117ft Palmer Johnson aluminum yacht, but the deckhouse is absolutely beautiful teak. It was designed by Sparkman and Stephens, and built in Sturgeon Bay. It is moored out in Oyster Bay right now if anyone is passing that way.
IMG_2820.jpeg

Growing up as a sailor with a racing emphasis, I was trained to be disdainful of motorsailor's.

Today, with decades of experience and the accompanying dose of humility, I can certainly see the appeal of a good motorsailor.

Part of that is the recognition that in the Salish Sea, "sailboats" spend much of their time under power. That was part of the reason I finally moved to power from sail.

However, If I ever wanted to do any blue water cruising, it would be in a motor sailor. There are some well designed boats that actually sail well yet have more than a simple token engine. They also can have decently enclosed cockpits or pilothouses.

Nauticat 44 ketch. We have chartered two of them. Seemed like the perfect compromise

Last edited:
Nauticats are awesome and so is the Kadey Krogen 54' Motor Sailor.

Back
Top Bottom