Pilothouse A/C Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwmeyer13

Vessel Name
Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Make
2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
First off I would like to say thankyou to everyone that has answered any of my questions in regards to a/c in their pilothouses. A special shout out goes to MV Tonic, ljk, Rgano, and Dmarchand.
2 years ago I upgraded the cabin house a/c unit and held onto the old 12k btu unit because there was nothing really wrong with it and with the hope of some day installing it up in the pilothouse. Well that day finally arrived. I was able to have the boat splashed just before the boatyards were shut down so with it docked behind the house I had easy access to it for spring maintenance and projects. So after engine zincs, basic cleaning, and dewinterizing I sat down and planned out the install. With no local supply stores open I ordered parts online to get me going and as I progressed every couple of days another order would go out for more parts. All in all a project that I thought would take 3 days not counting shipping time took about 5 and 1/2, not to bad.
The unit went under the port side helm seat which is where factory installs went. I utilized the old sea water intake from the raw water toilet that was converted into a fresh water toilet(this in my opinion was the best upgrade to date). I added an new grocco strainer and March pump and ran the hoses on up. I was able to run a condensate line back down into the shower sump. Then I ran the electric from the panel after adding a new breaker. I left all hoses and wire a little long so I could connect the unit and test it out to make sure it ran with no issues before proceeding any further. My 3.5k generator even handled the load of both the cabinhouse and pilothouse a/c units. Both the heat and a/c were running nicely for a few days so it was time to pass the point of no return, cutting in the supply and return vents.
I had originally planned on going with round vents that I saw in pictures but after having them in hand I was not happy with them for a few reasons so I went with the rectangular teak supply air vents with a damper and adjustable louvres. I also opted for white powder coated aluminum intake grill instead of plastic. The supply vent under the port seat required the little storage box to be dropped a little. I was able to make the cutout for it about 1/4” lower so I could just reposition it and cover the existing screw holes and give myself enough room to get the vent in. The rear facing supply vent was a cake walk compared to the other one. Duct work was a bit of a pain because of the tight quarters and I have never done it before. The manual for the a/c unit calls for 140 sq” of return air vent but the one I went with is only 120 but I think it’s plenty considering the unit backs almost right to it. The thermostat went to the left of the seat. This is not ideal since it’s and exterior bulkhead but then again not everything on a boat can be a perfect install, sometimes you have to work with what you got.
The Admiral is thrilled with how it came out and to be honest so am I, but only time and summer temps will tell just how effective it is. I plan on having privacy covers/shades made for the windows which will increase the a/c’s effectiveness while at the dock and when underway I am hoping to make the pilothouse more bearable during the really hot days, especially during the green fly season. The biggest reason I would have to say would be to extend and make the fall season more enjoyable since this unit has heat capabilities. I will updates this as summer comes and goes. Happy to answer any questions and once again thanks to the many forum members that helped make this possible. This would not be complete without pics, so here they are

Attachments

• B2639A25-DC27-463E-A018-B35FABD3A208.jpg
    B2639A25-DC27-463E-A018-B35FABD3A208.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 44
  • C4C3646E-9A6C-43DD-B2A6-FACB1BFD715C.jpg
    C4C3646E-9A6C-43DD-B2A6-FACB1BFD715C.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 4F024AB4-9BC5-44CE-B42E-A596E7A3D710.jpg
    4F024AB4-9BC5-44CE-B42E-A596E7A3D710.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 6E978A39-EF21-48CA-AE4C-E3CAD14190AF.jpg
    6E978A39-EF21-48CA-AE4C-E3CAD14190AF.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 71A99AA3-0AD6-41C1-B4B0-4DE3538613C1.jpg
    71A99AA3-0AD6-41C1-B4B0-4DE3538613C1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 47
This is a really nice looking install!

In my case (Florida) I almost never use the helm AC. While dockside, even with the back curtain dropped and buttoned up tight, the pilothouse is too hot during the day to be comfortable. Its way more comfortable with the back curtain rolled up, the ceiling and windshield vents open, and both 12v fans going. Even when the temps and humidity are above 90, its comfortable enough for a mid day snooze!

We do use the helm AC occasionally while cruising, its refreshing to stick your body parts in the rush of cold air coming out of the vents. But, even while cruising, its far more comfortable to have the back curtain up, vents open, and fans going than to cruise with the pilothouse closed up and the AC on.

Of course, up in New York, you have a different climate, so your experience may well be different than mine.

This is a really nice looking install!

In my case (Florida) I almost never use the helm AC. While dockside, even with the back curtain dropped and buttoned up tight, the pilothouse is too hot during the day to be comfortable. Its way more comfortable with the back curtain rolled up, the ceiling and windshield vents open, and both 12v fans going. Even when the temps and humidity are above 90, its comfortable enough for a mid day snooze!

We do use the helm AC occasionally while cruising, its refreshing to stick your body parts in the rush of cold air coming out of the vents. But, even while cruising, its far more comfortable to have the back curtain up, vents open, and fans going than to cruise with the pilothouse closed up and the AC on.

Of course, up in New York, you have a different climate, so your experience may well be different than mine.

I realize this is no miracle but hoping to take the edge of at times. Certainly had the time and since I had the unit I figured might as well give it a go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom