Perkins diesel engine oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4dfishing

New to boats. I am a big fan of synthetic engine oil. Used it in my trucks, cars, race cars.....all gas engines, and had really good mileage without any issues. Can I or should I put synthetic oil in my perkins engines in the boat? Engines are from the late 80's with low hours, less than 3200 on each motor. Will synthetic increase longevity? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If turbocharged, synthetic oil offers benefits. If NA, any quality diesel rated oil is fine.
I tend to use Rotella most often.T5 is probably ok for any Perkins engine.

I asked a similar question a couple months ago. I landed on Shell Rotella T5 for my Perkins 4.236. I think the topic has evolved over the years - I don't see an issue with synthetic in an old engine. They are rated for use by OEMs and petroleum institutes.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67262

Welcome and good luck!

Peter

Last edited:
I don't see any problems but I also do not see any real advantages. Just extra cost.

pete

I use T4 and it’s still clear with a good oil analysis at 200 hours. Non-turbo. I used to use T5 but it became hard to find for a while. T5 won’t hurt.

I use T4 and it’s still clear with a good oil analysis at 200 hours. Non-turbo. I used to use T5 but it became hard to find for a while. T5 won’t hurt.

Walmart seems to have a reliable stock of Rotella T5/T6. Oddly, diesel oil is in a different section of automotive than other automotive oils. I recently paid around $20 for a gallon.

While I chose to run T5 due to the oil analysis link in the OP of the thread link above, I don't really believe it will make a difference in my lifetime of use. As long as I stay with a quality brand oil that is rated for diesel and maintain properly, engine will outlive me.

Peter

Shell Rotella T4 and Chevron Delco 400 meet the manufacturer’s requirements. Anything more has not been proven to be better and is probably wasting money.

However, if it makes you feel good use it, as long as it meets or exceeds the Manufacturer’s requirements.

I would check with the engine manufacture and use whatever they recommend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom