Oil change marina in oswago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBMACQ

Vessel Name
Hummingbird
Vessel Make
Fleming 65 commissioned in 2023
I am looking for a marina around July 13th to do an MJ oil change for a 65 Fleming. Any experience there would be appreciated

I'm guessing you mean Oswego, NY? If so would you like me to edit the title?

The marinas in Oswego are city run AFAIK and I don't think they do servicing.
Are you thinking DIY or hiring it done?
Which way are you heading? There are other choices available about a days run away.

I'd suggest getting it done in Brewerton before you get to Oswego. Otherwise your next best bets after Oswego will likely be Sodus or Rochester.

Just curious, as I do my own oil changes as I am sure most T.F. members do. When you get the job done could you let us know what the cost was? I know at my marina they will "winterize" your batteries but it costs a fortune. I don't know what they charge for an oil change.

pete

Just curious, as I do my own oil changes as I am sure most T.F. members do. When you get the job done could you let us know what the cost was? I know at my marina they will "winterize" your batteries but it costs a fortune. I don't know what they charge for an oil change.

I'd guess most of the cost would be for time and labor hours.

We haven't had our yard do an oil change, but I did have them replace batteries. (8Ds)

The battery costs were I think probably slightly lower than what I could have gotten myself, and the rest of my cost was labor. The bill for each of the three banks was slightly different, and the difference was very likely about degree of difficulty (two banks relatively easily reached, the third not so much)... which translated into time.

Happens I'm in the middle of a 3-day oil change myself. Spread over about 8 days so far, as I learn my way through it. Including taking samples for analysis. And as I deal with schlepping about 20 gallons of old and new oil.

Engine room layout would impact labor hours. Our layout isn't great; one engine is more difficult than the other, etc. I'd guess yards wouldn't really quote a fixed rate; maybe they'd supply an estimate based on guesswork, and then actually bill whatever the oil change on that particular boat ended up costing.

You could probably do a decent estimate yourself. Figure your time at about $100-125/hour, add that to the cost of oil, etc. If I had our MAN guy do it, his bill would also include drive time.

-Chris

I am looking for a marina around July 13th to do an MJ oil change for a 65 Fleming. Any experience there would be appreciated

Might be a mobil engine guy for your diesels, who could meet your boat somewhere...

-Chris

My engine and genny are super easy to change the oil on. Both have extended tubes for the drain oil. I have a home built vacuum pump that literally sucks every drop of oil out of the engines. I burn my waste oil in a waste oil furnace in my garage, so that is not an issue. Pouring it from the vacuum container into a transport container can be a pain though.
The oil filters are always a pain although I have a pretty good system, it can still get messy.

As long as you are doing the oil, you should do all the fuel filters. I have four on the main engine and one on the genny. The filters are easy, priming all the lines can take a while. BTW, with my waste oil burner I can just add the nasty fuel from the raycors to the drain oil.

All together, including about 15 minutes to warm up the engines, clean up, tool clean up, etc. I would guess the oil and all filters changed will take four or five hours, start to finish.

At my marina that would equate to a minimum of $500 , if you include parts (oil, filters, etc) the cost could come to one boating unit ($1,000). I work slow and take breaks, I'm not sure if the marina mechanic does or not. I do know he is on the phone a LOT, do I get charged for that??

I would suspect that a twin engine boat would just about double that estimate. Slightly less for a gasser, (no priming issues and less fuel filters).

Small wonder that many boat owners do their own, or that it gets neglected.

I would still like to know what a marina on the east coast charges.

pete

The oil filters are always a pain although I have a pretty good system, it can still get messy.

As long as you are doing the oil, you should do all the fuel filters.

All together, including about 15 minutes to warm up the engines, clean up, tool clean up, etc. I would guess the oil and all filters changed will take four or five hours, start to finish.

I work slow and take breaks, I'm not sure if the marina mechanic does or not. I do know he is on the phone a LOT, do I get charged for that??

I'm doing slow, too. This time, partly 'cause I'm learning. Partly 'cause I'm taking notes, developing a procedural work flow and checklist for nest time, etc. Partly due to heat, both engine heat and ambient temps (high 80s yesterday). Partly 'cause I'm old.

We don't have spin-on oil filters; it's paper filters within drainable canisters... and there's a way to not make much of a mess. Ideally that includes an overnight drain. Took me a bit to find that way.

And then it also took me a bit to learn how to work with (loosen) bolts using copper crush sealing washers.

I don't think that twins would actually double the time. I think I've spent more time getting myself into position to do something... that it took to actually do the something once I figured it out.

Looks like Day 1 is warm up and drain, leave the ER due to heat. Day 2 is beginning the filters drain. Day 3 is replacing filters, and refilling engines. Probably no more than 2 hours actual work time on each of those days, including recycling. (Guessing, but now that I have more of a clue.)

But I reckon next time, I could actually do that 3-day oil change in 3 days. :)

Our fuel filter changes are on a different schedule, so far, and it happens we changed the secondaries last month... when I learned how to do that, too. And our genset and gears are on different schedules, too, so I'm only doing mains just now.

I'd guess that a generic marina mechanic -- who may or may not be familiar with a given engine -- might need phone support from time to time. Or maybe arranging lunch with his wifey, whatever.

-Chris

A Caution to Posters!
Please refrain from hijacking other members threads.
In this case a simple request for some local marina knowledge has been hijacked to post a dissertation on how to do your own servicing and what to include.

Last edited:
A Caution to Posters!
Please refrain from hijacking other members threads.
In this case a simple request for some local marina knowledge has been hijacked to post a dissertation on how to do your own servicing and what to include.

Er... point taken. Sorry.

-Chris

The OP is 1,000 from his home port doing the loop. How many gallons of both new and used oil does one need to cart around. I suspect that 65 Flemming is running MAN's or some other high oil capacity engine. Plus disposal of the old oil. This doesn't include the generator and will more than likely need to be done every few months.

DIY is nice, but not always reasonable.

Winter Harbor Marina is on the Erie Canal close to the Oswego Canal. We spent a night there and it seemed very squared away. Saw some of the work being done and it looked good.

Oil change

The 55 could cause some issues, but west of the Oswego River down the Cayuga-Seneca canal is the entrance to Lake Cayuga.

At the top of the lake is the Beacon Bay Marina.

Depending, they may be able to do the change, can haul you if necessary and if your plan is to do the change yourself, that can be done there.

A local did a valve tuneup on our FL 135 engines if you need any help.

We also wintered there.

Go place and good people.

If you go tell Roger & Ralph I said hi.

Good luck with your needs.

Brewerton - Winter Harbor. Not the cheapest but good work, in my experience.

DITTO on Winter Harbor in Brewerton... I had a good experience with them changing out a water heater.

Get 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot. Get the oil at west or a local hardware store. The process is super easy using the transfer pumps on all Flemings. If there is any doubt give Burr a call. They will be happy to assist.

Get 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot. Get the oil at west or a local hardware store. The process is super easy using the transfer pumps on all Flemings. If there is any doubt give Burr a call. They will be happy to assist.

This has been hashed out. He is asking about service. Not YET ANOTHER person suggesting they do it themselves.

Advising that they "Give Burr a call" isn't even worth the effort taken to give such useless information. Is that a person, a business? What town? What is the number?

Thank you Karen

This has been hashed out. He is asking about service. Not YET ANOTHER person suggesting they do it themselves.

Advising that they "Give Burr a call" isn't even worth the effort taken to give such useless information. Is that a person, a business? What town? What is the number?

Anyone who owns a Fleming knows Burr. Obviously you do not.

Anyone who owns a Fleming knows Burr.

Agree, it's a good suggestion. Burr's "concierge"-like service is bound to know where it might be easy to arrange a Fleming oil change en route, and who might be the best service provider in that area.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom