Nice Lord Nelson Reno, but do you think this cost....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark P

I came across a news article of what appears to me to be a fantastic renovation or rebuild of a Lord Nelson Victory Tug. I've posted in the past that something like this would be interesting for me because once it is done, you really know what you have in terms of boat systems etc.

In terms of money, this probably does not make financial sense. I guess that the 1983 Tug was bought for about $100K or so based on what I see on YW. I have no way of estimating what they spent on a year-long renovation, but I have to think it was more than $300K given the description in the article. The work looks fantastic to me.

https://www.dwell.com/article/lucy-the-tugboat-the-brooklyn-home-company-b0136173

Well, it doesn't suit my tastes- too much white all over, but I do like the open galley. It won't work very well as a boat however. Unless that table in the salon and the bar stools are bolted down they will turn over in a seaway or slide all over the place. Also the pictures look photoshopped a bit. Look at the helm seat floating in space.

I know they talked about completely rewiring which is quite a job. But I wonder what they did with the nautical mechanicals like the engine. I do see what looks like new navigation electronics. Most boat renovations spend a lot more money on nautical systems than on cosmetics and creature comforts. This looks like the opposite.

David

I have to believe they did something on the nautical gear since it appears they take this thing to the Bahamas. If they did do all of the nautical work, the more I think of it, the more I get closer to $500K. I have to think that a nearly 40 year old engine will need a lot of work especially as the article states it the boat was in bad shape. I think they would have been better off buying an American Tug 39 for what they spent on that boat.

The article says it’s a 37’ , but it’s actually a 49’ . They only made 3 or 4 of the 49’s .

I see two handles on the legs of the salon table which are at the base where it meets the floor. Without seeing it in person I guess they are lock handles so the table is not free to wander.

I will further guess the bar stools have somewhat the same.

I can catch just a hint of a hinge mechanism for the helm seat also. I have seen these before, a swing hinge.

Whether or not these mechanisms are adequate is another matter but there does appear to be some effort put in to secure things.

David .... white? What’s wrong w white.
That’s like say’in your taxi cab is too orange.

Well I’ll add some balance here say’in hull needs to be white.
Re the interior white it reflects a lot of light so very few if any dark holes.

A tad more bright finished wood in the interior would give it more of a Herreshoff interior, and less of a beach house.

Not a fan of the bar stools.

Only wish I had enough disposal income to do this to a Lord Nelson.

Those are nice boats. I crawled all over one in British Columbia a few years ago and it made my short list of boats to try and purchase.

Back
Top Bottom