New member, big dreams :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

berryfarmer

Veteran Member
Hi folks, I’ve been back and forth for a while on a motor sailer or a trawler, I’m pretty set on a trawler now. I’m a land lubber, familiar with inland lakes and small recreational boats, but no familiarity with saltwater or “big” boats…. My dream since i was a child to be a charter pilot of a sea plane isn’t going to work out, but, I feel like getting my captains license is within my reach and my “new” dream is to get a liveaboard boat that I can also charter off of for a little extra money while renting out my mountain homes. It’s years away, but, no time like the present to start looking and learning all I can. What I know I want, space for two (my son and I) to live aboard fulltime, and space for a charter to not be in “our” private space. I’m thinking minimum of 50’ for this. I’m very handy and own a commercial repair shop as well as other ventures so mechanical repair is not a concern for me. I want it to be as fuel efficient as possible, with the ability to move when needed. Looking for any and all direction. I don’t want to stay U.S. based, legal aspects of charters are not in the scope of me posting here, just the tangible aspects of boats, what I need to be looking for/at and major pitfalls that someone ignorant of large boats will miss :) Direction to a better subforum from the intro is also welcomed.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Charter a few different boats for a while. Might give you a better feel for your dream.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Charter a few different boats for a while. Might give you a better feel for your dream.

that’s solid advice, but I’m so ignorant, I don’t really know what to start with chartering lol…. My son and I can take some mini-vacations and go do a charter, but looking for a little guidance here first. I’m not opposed to a power-cat as well, budget would be maxed out at around 250, but would love to keep it under 100 with some obvious repairs for a 5 figure pricetag. Repairs don’t scare me, I grew up building houses and as an adult build vehicles to suit, so, the technical aspect is fine, just a learning curve (admittedly steep) for boats is in order. I want the ability to cross open water as safe as possible, but 99% of use would be near-shore. Would be nice to have a bug to go somewhere else and just pick up and leave lol. As stated, this is years away, but looking to at least get an idea of what I need to be looking at right now. I’m so ignorant, I wouldn’t even know the terms used if you suggested something lol.

Take a trip or two on a charter. It will give you time to pick the brain of the people running it. What their rules are. How they handle meals, etc. You need to decide on what type of charter you want to run, couples, family, dive, etc. That will determine the size and type of boat. Too small and you may be giving up your cabin to the charter. My current boat was charted for several years. The previous owner moved into the crew quarters when guests were aboard. She also never made enough money to properly care for the boat. When I bought the boat it had $20k in bills against it. I don't charter the boat but did run boats many years ago. Other people's children can be a problem. Many parents don't control their kids and it makes safety difficult on the ocean. As captain you're responsible for their lives.

A boat needing repairs may have a tough time passing an inspection. Be careful.

... I feel like getting my captains license is within my reach and my “new” dream is to get a liveaboard boat that I can also charter off of for a little extra money while renting out my mountain homes. It’s years away, but, no time like the present to start looking and learning all I can.

In case you haven't looked already, you can find requirements and process info here:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_mariner_credential/

You'll need to amass sea time...

You'll also want to assess your own personality, tolerance for potential bozos, etc. :)

-Chris

Welcome aboard

Chartering will give you a good idea of what it is to live on a boat, you will see first hand what works and what doesn't. But if you don't have time to charter you can always go to Youtube. There are lots of channels of liveaboards who will tell you what to pay attention to, what to do, what not to do etc. That will make narrowing the search down a lot easier. After that you can start looking for those things.
E.g. my engine room is big and roomy, but I cannot stand up straight in it. In the beginning you think that is not a problem, but after a while you realize that more head room will make your life so much easier.

For youtube find the channels of the wandering Knapps, MV Freedom, Sailing Mermaid Monster, In too deep, Trying not to sink, Lady Liselot, the boomershines and MV Oloh. Great sources of information and ideas.

Good morning berryfarmer! See where you have building & repair experience. Imagine the worst bathroom remodel, then triple the time and money. That's what owning a boat is like. BUT, as a skipper I ran mate for told me once, "It's a great life, if you don't weaken." Welcome aboard!

I feel like getting my captains license is within my reach and my “new” dream is to get a liveaboard boat that I can also charter off of for a little extra money while renting out my mountain homes.

Welcome aboard! Do be aware that the basic license to carry passengers "6 Pac" or OUPV requires 90 days of documented service on board within a 3 year period. So, a month a year. You would pretty much need your own boat (or be prepared to work for a charter captain) to amass that experience and of course would not be earning charter during that period.

Good luck!
~A

Welcome aboard! Do be aware that the basic license to carry passengers "6 Pac" or OUPV requires 90 days of documented service on board within a 3 year period. So, a month a year. You would pretty much need your own boat (or be prepared to work for a charter captain) to amass that experience and of course would not be earning charter during that period.

Good luck!
~A

that’s solid advice, thank you :) That is my plan, buy the boat, get to know it well, eventually start running charters after I get my sea legs and bearings. I wouldn’t dream of just diving headfirst into it.

IMO you need to define & document your plans and test viability (Ala a business plan) to help define boat & budget needs.
No experience with either live aboard or chartering but can imagine there are significant conflicts...
Live aboard requires significant space for you & sons belongings and "stuff" that occasional cruisers don't have to carry.
Boats the size you mention could accommodate your needs but...
Chartering brings its own unique requirements to consider...
How many guests ? A couple, kids, more adults?
Just day cruises, over nights or extended (weeks?) Cruises?

Many boats have 1-2 primary cabins... more space, storage, etc but the "extra" space is more spartan. Will you be satisfied giving primary space to guests. & occupying "crew quarters"? Even if only during charters and willing to move out. & back in as needed for guests?
I have spoken to friends that have done day sailing cruises for years but have ruled out overnights as they are exhausted entertaining/ keeping guests occupied all day and feel overnights would ruin a good thing.

You might get your Capt license & experience and work for a charter Co where they need Capt / mate for those chartering their boats as a way to see if it's for you without the expense of your own boat. Consider it as a stepping stone and make the jump tp your own boat and all that goes with your own charters... ibsurance, advertising, bookings, provisioning, etc

Before you have your Capt license and as a way to get exposure/ experience hire on charters as crew and see if it really is the dream or a chore.

What I know I want, space for two (my son and I) to live aboard fulltime, and space for a charter to not be in “our” private space. I’m thinking minimum of 50’ for this.

Many boats have 1-2 primary cabins... more space, storage, etc but the "extra" space is more spartan. Will you be satisfied giving primary space to guests. & occupying "crew quarters"? Even if only during charters and willing to move out. & back in as needed for guests?

Good points. If we had done charters on our previous 2-stateroom boat, we'd have had to give over our master stateroom and we'd have had to share head/shower facilities. Probably no one would wants to engage in that situation, nor did we.

For this boat, 3 staterooms, we intentionally found a model that has a "charterable" (?) bow stateroom -- "queen" walk-around, etc.), there's a bunk room for two single "additionals," and guests can have their own private head/shower.

But that meant a jump from a nominal 42' to a nominal 58'. Maybe could have done it with some of the 54's we saw while shopping...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom