New boat and same issues only more$$$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planobilly

Veteran Member
I got the 38 Osmond Beal down to Marathon, Florida without issue.

I was well aware of the issues I needed to fix. I was not exactly prepaired for the lack of parts, materials, and skilled labor. The cost to repair and replace things was perhaps 20% higher than I figured.

New sounder, S5100 Simrad and 509 HLW 3KW ducer. Execelent results. Displayed through a NSS-EVO3 12 inch. Great resolution. I like it better than the GSD 26 on my Contender. Simrad is new to me and certainally less user friendly than Garmin. I also have a Garmin 12" plotter and 48 mile radar also.
New Simrad AP44 autopilot has been OK but nothing to write home about. The Osmond is not an easy boat to stear. Perhaps I can get it tuned up better.

Gil Travis have beed great to work with for the electronics. God help you if you don't understand electronics and have to depend on local electronics guys to install stuff.

Rebuild the cooling systen cost $10,000 in parts. $5500 for a new intercooler. The old one is working but if it fails that produces a pretty ugly hole in the piston. 70k for a new engine or $5500 worth of insurance...a no brainer. I am pushing 80 pretty hard and this diesel repair work is more than a little hard on me.

Perhaps two more weeks of hard work and I will have it in first class shape. With the temps around 93 F in Marathon the AC and dehumidifer is worth 10 times the price!

As for price, BOAT, break out another thousand, no longer is valid. It is break out another 10 thousand...lol

I finally got what I wanted, AC, coffee pot, and a bed for an old guy to take a nap on.

Fish will be coming over the rail in November. Wahoo!

Happy boating to everyone.

Billy

Have you posted any pictures? We all love visual aids…

As for price, BOAT, break out another thousand, no longer is valid. It is break out another 10 thousand...lol

I too long for the days when it was only a thousand [emoji6]

Sounds like you've got things under control. Pictures would be great. I don't know the boat at all.

Peter

We were just laughing at the “Break out another Thousand “ the other day and we changed it to “Break out another 10K” as well. It definitely how it feels.

Just looked up the osmond beal. Very nice traditional down east vessel. Huge working deck. Love it!
Seems like it should steer ok, what is the issue there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom