Mainship 390 Windlass Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I have a 2003 Mainship 390. I think I have a failed solenoid/contactor/relay for my Lewmar, Concept 1 anchor windlass. I understand it is located in a water tight enclosure and should be within 6' of the motor. Does anyone know the physical location of this enclosure and how easy it maybe to replace? As always, thank you for any assistance you may provide.

On our 2003 390, the solenoid is mounted very close to the windlass, up high in the anchor locker. If it's the original, in a bakelite case, IMHO its not up to the job. I went thru two of them before giving up and building my own from a couple of truck starter solenoids. Over ten years now with no issues.

Nick

I appreciate your reply Nick. Was it difficult replacing the control box? Anything I should be considering during the swap?

I too used an old Ford starter solenoid. I found online the capsulated solenoid and bought it. Keep the Ford solenoid as an emergency back up.

It's actually quite an easy assembly to construct. Basically just bolt the two solenoids to a suitably sized plate (I used 1/4" Aluminum). If you get the alignment of the solenoids just right, 5/8 OD copper tubing, flattened at the ends and drilled to match the solenoid lugs, makes an excellent common connection between the two. I made a cover out of 1/4" plexiglass plate, but only to protect from water splashed from the anchor chain. Any attempt to construct a watertight box is, in my opinion, doomed to fail. Even Lewmar couldn't do it!
Somewhere I have some photos of the assembly, I'll try to find them to post.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom