Luke Anchor Big Enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datenight

Guru
Vessel Name
Datenight
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45
Greetings All,

As mentioned in another thread we are headed south in mid October. The ultimate goal is the Bahamas. I am looking for an easily storable big anchor. My search is down to Fortress at least an FX 55, prefer FX 85 and a Luke fisherman style. I have a line on a 75# Luke at a great price. The only issue is Luke recommends 2# per foot of waterline. The waterline of my North Pacific 45 is 41' 4" which suggests an anchor of about 83#. I could weld a few pounds of steel to the curved part of the fluke section or just not worry about it or keep looking. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Rob

While learning my new to me boat I discovered a Fortress FX85 anchor in the "bosun's" locker hidden under a pile of old fenders. It was in a damp environment but as best I can tell the anchor is unused. It is rated for boats 59' - 68'. The anchor alone at WM is $1,600 and the Stowaway bag is $243. The bag is in good shape other than a small wear mark where it was contacting the locker side. It also contains the tools (2 combination wrenches) for assembly however they are rusted from being in a damp environment. I will sell the anchor including the Stowaway bag for $1,000. Pick up is in Stuart FL. If you are interested please sends a PM. Thank you for looking. Howard

Attachments​

• IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6066.jpg
    IMG_6066.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 41

A Luke anchor is an old style fisherman’s anchor. The Fortress anchor will foul itself in a reversing current anchorage.

Go with a modern design anchor like the Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, etc. At a minimum, meet the manufacturer’s size recommendations for your boat, preferably more.

David

Greetings All,

As mentioned in another thread we are headed south in mid October. The ultimate goal is the Bahamas. I am looking for an easily storable big anchor. My search is down to Fortress at least an FX 55, prefer FX 85 and a Luke fisherman style. I have a line on a 75# Luke at a great price. The only issue is Luke recommends 2# per foot of waterline. The waterline of my North Pacific 45 is 41' 4" which suggests an anchor of about 83#. I could weld a few pounds of steel to the curved part of the fluke section or just not worry about it or keep looking. What do you all think?

We used an FX-37 on our previous 42' sportfish, very adequate. I think you'd find an FX-55 to be somewhere between nicely adequate and way overkill... latter not being a bad thing.

-Chris

Panope's 2023 review of the Luke. It's an awful anchor. Only thing worse is a Luke copy.

Even a grossly undersized Fortress 16 (10-lbs) would be a better choice.

Peter

Thanks everyone for your replies. My main anchor is a Rocna 33 Vulcan with 210' of 3/8 G-4 chain. Second is Delta 45 which has been very good for us the past 18 years.

I am bummed with the performance of the Luke because it is so storable. Hard to argue with reality! Thanks for the Video Peter.

Also have a line on a Fortress FX 55 for $450.00 and a FX 125 for $1,000.00. I suppose those would be the better choice.

Thanks again all for the advise.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom