Lewmar Pro-Series 1000H Horizontal Windlass clutch slipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davil1

Hi
installed it 5 years ago, used few times.
When retrieving, the anchor will often slip and have to drop it a few feet and go again, getting worse.

Tried the adjusting wheel with no results.

Ideas?

Thanks

Did you match the chain and the gypsy. If not then the chain may not adequately fit into the gypsy pockets thus able to climb out and slip.
Mine used to be like that but when I replaced the windlass I made sure of the chain/gypsy fit.
No more trouble.

thank you for your ideas.

the gypsy is the correct one, I think I damaged the system.
Lewmar 1000 comes in two versions, (Pro and ProFish) one has the free fall, the other model the fall is controlled with the up or down switch.

I ordered the second because it was less expensive, figure will just lose the clutch and let it free wheel down. when dropping the anchor,

Remember reading somewhere doing that damages the unit.

I am afraid that is what happen.
Looking at the specs and diagrams, cannot pinpoint how the clutch works, besides controlling the friction by tightening the knob,
at this time able to raise the anchor with patience, but gotten worse and now will not pull the shackle over the roller, to bring the anchor home.
Since I am in the boatyard considering a replacement of the unit if indeed is damaged, use an extra heavy anchor and manual retrieval is not an option.
Was able to do it until now.
Anyway, curious if somebody had dealt with the clutch.
again, thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom