Interlux VC bottom paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
Has anyone used Interlux VC bottom paint?

VC 17m Extra with Biolux Antifouling Boat Paint | Interlux

I'm looking into different bottom paint alternatives, and would like to use one of the emerging ultra-slippery coatings. Various reports claim reduced drag and as a result increased speed and fuel efficiency (important in the new era of $6/gal diesel prices).

The VC line claims to use a 'fluoro microadditive' to reduce friction. Has anyone used one of the VC paints? How well do they work? How do they hold up? Is it a multi-season coating, or does it need to be reapplied yearly?

Dolphin has (had?) their Slips coating that seemed to get good reviews, but their website has been saying 'out of stock' for some time and they don't respond to inquiries.

Adaptive Surface Technologies

Interlux has for several years sold their Innersleek coating for commercial ships. they're supposedly working on a formulation for pleasure boats. At the Newport Boat Show in September, some Interlux reps told me it was 'coming soon' but wouldn't say any more than that.

Intersleek® | International-marine

Thank you!

Two decades ago we used VC on a Shock 35 sailboat that we raced. In racing you are always hunting for tenth’s of a knot as the difference between winners and losers is often less than a quarter knot. Did the paint make a noticeable difference? Cleaning the bottom right before a race made an obvious difference. Changing to VC not so obvious. The moral of the story, cleaning your boat bottom will make a much greater difference than changing your paint.

VC-17 is common in the Great Lakes, but I've never heard of it being a particularly effective antifouling in salt water.

VC-17 works adequately in salt water, it is short lived compared to other formulas. We found it a great product for racing sailboats. This however is a two decade old experience.

I've used VC17 on sailboats. It's a hard slick surface that's very easy to clean, but I've never thought of it as a great antifoulant, and have used water-based ablative paints on my trawlers.

Maybe the new biocide will make it more effective.

I agree. Might be worth it on a racing sailboat. On a MV, I doubt you'd see a noticeable difference. An ablative paint should already be giving you a relatively fresh slick surface. You'd probably be better served by trying to eliminate some unnecessary weight that we all carry around and don't need to. When's the last time you went though your boat and looked at what you are storing and carrying with you at all times?

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate and have experienced that a freshly cleaned bottom (both the boat's, and my own) is the most important. I'm looking both for cost-effective ways to achieve greater efficiency, and incremental improvements. With the new reality of $6/gal fuel, a 10% reduction in friction could be roughly equivalent to the same decrease in the price of fuel, which is not trivial at these prices.

Assuming all other variables are equal (clean bottom, efficient weight management) a slippery bottom might add some additional efficiency (= reduced fuel use and/or increased speed).

I'm also looking at cost-effectiveness. To pay a diver or haul a boat every month to clean the bottom would be very expensive, whereas using a slippery bottom paint (at marginally higher cost than conventional) might be a more cost-effective way to achieve similar improvements (though of course both would be best of all, a clean bottom and slippery paint).

I'd love to use a Sharrow prop, but their development of props for inboard engines is long and slow in coming, and the price they want for a custom-made prop is insane.

Back
Top Bottom