Insurance question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Hi All
We got into boating salt water in the puget sound and made a jump from planing fishing boats to a 45ft trawler. When i went to get insurance i ran into a little trouble with the jump in size and most of the carriers wanted me to hire a captain or get 40 plus hours of training from a captain. One company did give me a quote with what i thought was good coverage limits.
Now that i have a year of boating behind me is the size jump a question?
Is the premium of 3K per year high as a reflection of my experience ?

They indicated they will send a renewal 45 days before expiration.Should i just renew?

Coverage Provided Amount Deductible

Hull & Equipment $761400 $7614

Electronics Deductible $250
Towing & Emergency Service $1500 per occurrence $0
Trailer $0 $0
Tender $0 $0
Personal Property $10000 $200
Liability Limit (P&I) $1000000 $0
Uninsured & Underinsured Boat Owners $1000000 $0
Pollution – Fuel Spill Liability $939,800 $0
Medical Payments $25000 per person $0
Named Storm Deductible $0
Named Storm Haul Out – 50% of your actual expense subject to a maximum of $500 per occurrence
Trip Interruption – Non Owned Watercraft – Jones Act – Longshoremen’s and Harbor Workers
Premium $2992 Tax Assessment & Fees $0 Total Premium $2992

The policy expires in June so i am reaching out to you guys for advise.

Thanks Guys

Update
I got my renewal today and the premium went down to $2400 per year. Not having any experience with marine insurance are these prices reasonable? Not complaining just don't want to be ripped off.

Perhaps those with similar sized boats can give an opinion if you included the insured value. You may have paid a surplus in first year, and perhaps even in renewal due to the size jump.
IMO, regardless of all else the $1 million liability seems low, same with fuel spillage.

Perhaps those with similar sized boats can give an opinion if you included the insured value. You may have paid a surplus in first year, and perhaps even in renewal due to the size jump.
IMO, regardless of all else the $1 million liability seems low, same with fuel spillage.
Hi
I have an umbrella policy that significantly raises limits but the underlying policy's have to carry the first million. I should check the environmental coverage with the umbrella . Thanks

that seems like a pretty good price to me. I have a 60' vessel in Seattle valued a little less than that and we have a similar premium. $2400 for your NP45 seems very fair if not a good deal.

best of luck

Thank you. I think i will get the renewal set . I reached out to a couple guys and got no response. Called boat usa and they declined to quote do to my experience and suggested try again next year.

Lots and lots of variables and options in the insurance market these days. I would suggest shopping around, although your proposed coverage does not seem bad.

Or, you could go like I did, less valuable boat. Mostly just liability insurance.

pete

I don’t know what the NW market is like or your limits of travel but that doesn’t sound bad to me. Is that “agreed value” or appraised value. I believe agreed value is better in the case of a total loss.

The oil spill limit I think is standard. As I recall, that figure is the federal cap on liability. You might want to confirm.

Based on your coverages, I wouldn't complain about a $2400 premium.

Thanks for the replies. I renewed the policy even though i have until 6-1 i want to get it out of the way. Who knows whats coming down the road. Again thanks for your confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom