Installing Marine Heads in Marine Trader DC 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillZe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Migration
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
I just bought a Marine Trader DC 34 and it came with portapottis. Does anyone have experience installing either electric or manual heads and a holding tank? Is is easy enough to run the pipes? Do I need a macerator? I almost never go more than 3 miles out so I only need to use a pump out and didn't know if I needed the macerator pump to get solids from the toilet to the holding tank. Any other tips any one has would be greatly appreciated. I also am using fresh water so I will not have to drill into the hull other than for the pump out valve.

it doesn't happen to have a 504 in it does it? you shouldn't need a macerator .if you get an electric toilet it will be built in.

I have installed heads and complete head systems in several of our previous boats. I like the Raritan Marine Elegance with the selectable controller. Ronco makes very good holding tanks. There are 2 different hoses, names escape me right now, that are very good for not permeating one of which is very flexible so it is easier to route. Routing the hoses can be easy or very difficult depending on the boat and your flexibility. Peggie Hall is the real expert on all things dealing with marine waste... She will probably chime in at some point. She has an excellent book about head systems.

It's a 1974 and yes it has the Cummings 504

I talked to the broker on that one a couple of times . I just remember it looking very clean having porta potties and the 504. congratulations on the buy. we where going to look at it in person on our next trip further north . but we bought one on our NC/ Virginia looking loop.

First off. Nothing is easier, simpler and less likely to break than a portapotti. You can solve all portapotti issues for $99 with a smart phone and amazon. You can always find a way to dump a portapotti and they never get clogged.

That said, installing a head system is not rocket science. You do need to have a plan before you start purchasing anything.

I am a big fan of vacuflush but it is more complex and requires larger hose than most systems. It does stink the least.

I find most the manual heads to work quite well, generally the more expensive the longer they last. The cheapest ones tend to be rather disposable.

I just replaced my complete sanitation system. I installed the Raritan Marine Elegance fresh water head with selectable flush. A 40 gal. Ronco tank with two drop tubes. One going to the deck pump out and one going to the Sea Land discharge pump. Two 1” vent outlets installed in the tank for providing good cross ventilation. Also installed a SCAD solo tank monitor. I used the Raritan santi-flex hose. It has good bend radius and fairly easy to push on the fittings. Good luck designing and installing your system.

I just bought a Marine Trader DC 34 and it came with portapottis. Does anyone have experience installing either electric or manual heads and a holding tank? Is is easy enough to run the pipes? Do I need a macerator? I almost never go more than 3 miles out so I only need to use a pump out and didn't know if I needed the macerator pump to get solids from the toilet to the holding tank. Any other tips any one has would be greatly appreciated. I also am using fresh water so I will not have to drill into the hull other than for the pump out valve.

If you plan to use only fresh water to flush the toilet, you'll need a toilet designed to use onboard pressurized flush water. You will not need a macerator pump to move solids from the toilet to the tank. How easy the plumbing will be depends on where you install the tank.

It's not rocket science, but-one-size-fits-all recommendations rarely fit more than one situation. So if you'd like to send me a PM, I'll be glad to help you sort out how to get it all right the first time and answer all your questions in more detail than is practical in open forum.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I wanted to get rid of a raw water head and solve an unduly long waste line run in out boat. Following Peggy’s guidance I just installed the first of two fresh-water Marine Elegances and a Purasan MSD.

I ripped out a like-new Vacuflush in the aft head (it’s for sale) and connected the ME to the Purasan with no holding tank. (To connect it to the existing tank would mean a hose run of about 25 feet.) It took some finagling, but the Purasan fits neatly under the vanity sink.

The forward head will have an ME connected to the existing tank with only a 6-7 foot run. This gives us options depending on discharge restrictions. We’ll try it this way for awhile, maintaining the option of adding a smaller holding tank to the aft head if necessary.

Attachments

• D4C6B7F6-69ED-4184-A2D4-4DC9F0800A9F.jpg
    D4C6B7F6-69ED-4184-A2D4-4DC9F0800A9F.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 4FF1BA3E-C4D1-41E9-BC8F-651DBF376B8C.jpg
    4FF1BA3E-C4D1-41E9-BC8F-651DBF376B8C.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The first check should be to see if there is room for a holding tank directly under the head.

If there is, an RV toilet uses gravity and about 1/10 the flush water , making it 10 times bigger in use.

There are even RV style toilets made built on to a tank, so installation is almost instant.

A simple connection from the holding tank to the std pump out deck fitting and your legal.

Should you venture out someday beyond 3 miles your manual emergency bilge pump with the waste fitting would work just fine.

KISS

Last edited:
I revamped the heads on Angelina immediately after I bought her. To put it nicely, she stunk. Only when warm but I inspected and purchased in January. Surprise!

The heads leaked and the hoses had long runs and the tanks were inside the cabins. Inexplicably for a boat on the market, they were full to brimming. She was a great lakes boat so there are no overboard outlets - only on deck pump-outs.

I rebuilt the Jabsco manual heads, re-positioned the holding tanks and replaced all the hoses. She has been sweet for years. The forward head holding tank is on a new purpose built shelf in the engine room against the forward bulkhead. The aft head's holding tank is up against the aft stateroom's bulkhead in a sealed box under the master bunk. And I mean sealed.

Both have the shortest run possible of the best possible sanitation hose. Both have dedicated sanitation hose vents.

It's been over 20 years now and I have just replaced the heads with new manual units and the hoses are also due. Maybe a little overdue.

The major points are keeping the holding tanks and their hoses out of the accommodation and if not, seal them in their own box. The hose runs should be planned to be as short as possible and self draining.

It also helps to keep the holding tanks empty. In port pump out as soon as you arrive and use the marina facilities until you leave. On the go, well, you go where you must. Gentlemen use the swim platform when possible, ladies use discretion at all times.

Once, moored along the wall in Troy NY, I went for midnight stroll around the decks when I came upon one of the delivery crew of the large yacht docked in front of us. She was on her swim platform in a most indelicate position. Now traveling with two women on a two head boat I occasionally have sought comfort from the swim platform. But then it was personal choice. It seems the owners of this new yacht did not want the delivery crew using the new heads. The yacht delivery business lost a lot of it's glamor that night.

Thanks Peggy, I am buying your book now and will be in touch as I begin the project. I bought 2 Dometic Masterflush 7120 White Electric Macerating Toilet 12v. I am picking up a holding tank Monday from West Marine. Then going from there...

It's a 1974 and yes it has the Cummings 504
I have the MT34Dc 1983--It came with a electric Raritan Atlantes Head which has been working fine for 10 years! I switched it over to using fresh water no problems-it uses 1/2 gallon a flush and macerates -but I also have a separate macerator ITT jabsco that pumps out holding tank wich is small at 20gallon effective 18 gallon. I don't have a tank gage so Im going to put a lil counter in the head so flushes can be kept track of so I can pump out at 31+ flushes!

Relying on counting flushes is risky 'cuz people are sure to forget to click the counter and you do NOT want tank contents overflowing out the vent because that will result in a blocked vent.

The Profile tank level indicators Profile Tank Monitors were top rated by Practical Sailor. It'll be a simple and relatively inexpensive matter to install a Profile "Solo" (single tank) model...the sender goes on the outside of the tank and provides an accurate 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full reading.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Back
Top Bottom