Hose clamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easternshore

Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Beneteau Flyer 12
I’m replacing my Onan generator exhaust wet hose and want to upgrade the old screw clamps to something more substantial such as SS T-bolt clamps. West Marine has them for $32 ea while Amazon has them for $7 ea. While not wanting to over pay but I do want a quality product. WM is known for high prices but their clamps passed the rare earth magnet test, no attractive while the AMZN clamps though highly rated did have reviews stating the bolt and or nuts weren’t all SS.

The generator/vessel setup on our boat (Beneteau Flyer) has an exhaust separator sending the exhaust down through a fitting under the hull and sends the water out a separate thru hull above the water line.

Any thoughts on the better choice for an exhaust hose clamp?

I probably have 30 brand new clamps on my boat "just in case". They are all S.S. but the quality is questionable. NAPA and Ace hardware stuff. I have another 30 used clamps, same story.

I would love to have a stock of S.S. "T" clamps but thirty dollars is certainly price gouging.

Does anyone have a source of good clamps for a reasonable price?

pete

AWAB or ABA T bolt clamps are all 316. And no welds which are the first thing to go even on a S/S clamp. I ordered them from a place in Seattle but I don’t remember the name. Mine were for the main engines so they were about 6” and cost about $22 each.

Attachments

• C9DD319A-C209-4785-8C19-FFF574B0286A.jpg
    C9DD319A-C209-4785-8C19-FFF574B0286A.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 40
  • FFE78FD7-D445-448B-9384-CDF50D9FBDDC.jpg
    FFE78FD7-D445-448B-9384-CDF50D9FBDDC.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 232EABB9-F75B-4A1D-8826-1DB79D16CEF6.jpg
    232EABB9-F75B-4A1D-8826-1DB79D16CEF6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 40
Try your local industrial hose supply. A box of dozen may be closer to $10 ea.

Try your local industrial hose supply. A box of dozen may be closer to $10 ea.
Do you have a link? 316 SS is pretty pricey. If you know of a source for 10-cents on the dollar, chances are they have other hi-quality parts too. McMaster shows $10 for a 304 2-inch T-Bolt.

Peter

Definitely 316SS for the band. 304SS is fine for the screw. If you really don't want to touch it for a long time, you can find 254 SMO material clamps.

Stick with a brand name. Trident good. AWAB, ABA or Breeze better (in my opinion). Stay away from the perforated worm gear style as it bites into the hose, and even if it does have a protective sleeve, the perforated areas seem to corrode faster; or rather there is less metal there to corrode and fail.

Keep in mind that all ferretic stainless steel and most martensitic SS will be magnetic. These are 400 series SS. (Lots of duplex is magnetic too, but never saw a 2205/7 hose clamp).

Sometimes you find bent areas of a 304 or 316 clamp to be magnetic (like on the AWAB tabs) as it was cold worked and subsequently formed martensite (which is magnetic).

So sometimes the magnet test can be deceiving.

I prefer the mechanical held tabs over the spot welded joint. Typically the spot weld has a substantial heat affected zone remaining (looks like a rainbow) and is sensitized. This area generally preferentially corrodes and fails.

I've had many of those 316 tridon clamps fail at the 3 puny spot welds
Stupidly over engineered clamp considering their major weakness

I'm having a far better run using cheap, yum cha eBay versions with better spot welds
Sure, the straps aren't 316, or as robust nor is the bolt bit and it's cad plated
But that's not the failure point

I initially got them as a temporary until I could find a decent price on the NORMA ones in Oz

But, they've been in 5 years now, no sign of rust or fail

These ones, cheap enough to carry plenty of spares, not that I've needed them yet
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-x-3-I...b-09b6-4db8-9824-3f13292f7f4f&redirect=mobile

Last edited:
That is what is nice about the AWAB, no welds.

Pretty much unavailable in Oz
Norma are and no welds either but about $18 each here in the size I use vs $3
And if the $3 version is working...........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom