Hi all i am a newbie to all this, not even sure if i am in the right forum for advice, I apologise if not, in advance, but could really use some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glennmc

I recently purchased a yacht with a yanmar 2g diesel motor. (My first diesel)
The guy I bought it from, showed me very briefly how to start it etc and let it run for a minute maybe before taking off with the cash. In the mean time we loaded some provisions, for the trip home. I never touched anything except the kill switch and ignition before starting it again and leaving, it starting smoking 100m or so out where I killed it, Turns out he never turned the seacock on burning out the impeller, so we replaced that only to find once replaced the watercock plastic exhaust had holes in it that appeared to be burn holes in it probably from the demolished impeller. Found after replacing the impeller and water started pumping straight into the vessel. So my question is what other damage is likely to have been done. Starts perfect, pumps water, just not out of the exhaust because of the holes in the watercock. Any help would be greatly accepted.
Cheers Glenn

Attachments

• 20240824_115451.jpg
    20240824_115451.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 66
The impellor vanes went somewhere - they get stopped at the heat exchanger where the small tubes prevent passage.

You mentioned the exhaust started smoking. Once you get the water and exhaust straightened out, will need to pay attention whether the engine was overheated and blew a head gasket (or worse). That would be manifested by blowing white smoke and loss of coolant. But first things first - get the exhaust right.

Welcome to TF. Sorry you had such a poor initial experience. Really sucks -

Peter

I am guessing that the lift muffler was previously damaged and seller knew all this purposely demonstrating with the seacock closed. I am also guessing the boat was never surveyed.

At this point we can only hope that the engine was not throughly cooked prior to sale.

To answer your question, the next possible issue could be a head gasket and after that internal engine damage. While both are possible it would take a much more severe overheating than you have described.

I learned something new today. Never knew there could be a plastic container in the exhaust line.
With no impeller, no water mixed into gas of course it will melt.

Welcome aboard. Sorry you are having these problems. Let us know how it turns out.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I'd take that thoughtless owner OFF my Xmas card list ASAP. Take heart, you'll work it all out in due time.

Thank you all for your replies/help and suggestions. All was good advice and now I have a place to start (exhaust) then work my way back. The moral to the story as one of you pointed out, I should of had it surveyed. Unfortunately I didn't and now have to deal with the problems as they arise. Fortunately I still love the boat and like all owner the costs begin. Hopefully this post may teach prospective buyers not to make my mistakes. For the rest of you owners, stay safe and have fun out there.

Surveys can also be a learning experience. Well worth it for a new boat owner.

David

Surveys can also be a learning experience. Well worth it for a new boat owner.

David
This is a good suggestion. It would be worth having a survey done now just for your own education/piece of mind. It is cheaper to solve potential problems before they emergent. It will also help you learn some things about your new boat.

It may also be a requirement for insurance.

Back
Top Bottom