Hello! About to close on an 05 GB42 EU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWboater2

Vessel Name
Ripple
Vessel Make
2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
Hi all. Infrequent poster but long time user of this forum. Never did a formal intro, sorry, but maybe this will be a sort of hybrid post.

I’m in the PNW, lifelong boater and Grand Banks coveter. Current boat is an 06 Holby Pilot 24, soon to be for sale. Love it, put 17000 miles on it from Olympia to Princess Louisa. But it’s time to move up
We are about to close on an 05 Europa 42. In seattle so some of you may know her. Please don’t post anything like “oh they got that boat floating again?” — I’m nervous enough and the die is cast.

JD 6068 300 hp, 2300 hours. Single, which apparently makes her about as rare as hens teeth, or my current boat. Yes I know some say twins are better, but it’s too late for warnings and too early for told ya sos

She’s in good shape but I’m gonna start from scratch on service as best I can, mostly using pros but starting again at the bottom of the learning curve on the do it myself stuff. Finally got pretty good on my 5.7 volvo gas engine. This thing and all its systems is a whole nuther deal tho. Then we’ll get to the more fun stuff like upholstery mattresses and a new tender.

Electronics are pretty new, teak decks (glass/awlgrip on fly bridge, from factory I think) in great shape no bungs missing, no rust on tanks. Windows, limited outdoor teak trim, everything in pretty good shape.

Surveyor (Matt harris - got his name here I think and was very impressed) flagged some things I will address as soon as I can. I’ve been binge reading various topics here for a month but Ill have lots of questions this fall and winter.

I’ll start with one that is important to me especially with a single…
Sidepower Bow and stern thrusters have “brush dust” outside and I suspect inside as well. They seem to work fine. Any thought tricks warnings advice on cleaning those?

Ok a second Q also important to me with a single. I’m gonna have a pro change the impeller and hopefully watch him do it, but any advice on that for this engine? Learned quite a bit about doing FLs and 3208s searching here, but didn’t find anything about 6068 impellers. Easy? Hard? Tips?

We are very excited about this step and I’m looking forward to getting to know the forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat, hopefully it will close. When you close we will need some photos.

Hi all. Infrequent poster but long time user of this forum. Never did a formal intro, sorry, but maybe this will be a sort of hybrid post.

I’m in the PNW, lifelong boater and Grand Banks coveter. Current boat is an 06 Holby Pilot 24, soon to be for sale. Love it, put 17000 miles on it from Olympia to Princess Louisa. But it’s time to move up
We are about to close on an 05 Europa 42. In seattle so some of you may know her. Please don’t post anything like “oh they got that boat floating again?” — I’m nervous enough and the die is cast.

JD 6068 300 hp, 2300 hours. Single, which apparently makes her about as rare as hens teeth, or my current boat. Yes I know some say twins are better, but it’s too late for warnings and too early for told ya sos

She’s in good shape but I’m gonna start from scratch on service as best I can, mostly using pros but starting again at the bottom of the learning curve on the do it myself stuff. Finally got pretty good on my 5.7 volvo gas engine. This thing and all its systems is a whole nuther deal tho. Then we’ll get to the more fun stuff like upholstery mattresses and a new tender.

Electronics are pretty new, teak decks (glass/awlgrip on fly bridge, from factory I think) in great shape no bungs missing, no rust on tanks. Windows, limited outdoor teak trim, everything in pretty good shape.

Surveyor (Matt harris - got his name here I think and was very impressed) flagged some things I will address as soon as I can. I’ve been binge reading various topics here for a month but Ill have lots of questions this fall and winter.

Sidepower Bow and stern thrusters have “brush dust” outside and I suspect inside as well. They seem to work fine. Any thought tricks warnings advice on cleaning those?

Ok a second Q also important to me with a single. I’m gonna have a pro change the impeller and hopefully watch him do it, but any advice on that for this engine? Learned quite a bit about doing FLs and 3208s searching here, but didn’t find anything about 6068 impellers. Easy? Hard? Tips?

We are very excited about this step and I’m looking forward to getting to know the forum. Thanks!

Matt Harris is a great surveyor, you should have a great start with his survey. As long as it's easily accessible the raw water impeller is pretty much like any other. Good luck on the Europa, a fantastic NW yacht.
Hollywood

I will post some pics when it’s officially official.
I’m not superstitious, but I’m a lil’ stitious!

42 Europa with a single is a beautiful boat. The JD engine should be bullet proof. Congratulations on finding one. Best of luck!

The JD 6068 is a good engine. Strong and pretty efficient. Nicely marinized.

Changing the impellor should be no different than other engines you've worked on. Have your parts ready prior, a little silicone grease helps put the new impellor in.

I wouldn't worry about the "dust" from your thrusters unless they exhibit issues. Manuals are likely aboard - read through for any maintenance items or service intervals for grease or otherwise.

I personally like sedan layouts, and a single with thrusters sounds superb.

Peter.

Thanks! We are excited. I said in another thread that insurance says a training capt has to sign off that I’m competent after 20 (or more if I’m not there yet I guess) hours. So there will be some time to read and tinker and post questions here, between lessons.
Only impeller I’ve changed is on a volvo (gm) 5.7. That’s one thing volvo did right - it’s a piece of cake even in the water, unlike mercruisers of the same vintage.
Getting close.

JD 6068 300 hp, 2300 hours. Single,

Ok a second Q also important to me with a single. I’m gonna have a pro change the impeller and hopefully watch him do it, but any advice on that for this engine? Learned quite a bit about doing FLs and 3208s searching here, but didn’t find anything about 6068 impellers. QUOTE]

Never had to clean mine other than on the outside of the thruster motors.
I have the 6068TFM50 225 HP version x2 (2004). Changing the impellers is straightforward pull off with 2 sets of pliers push in to replace. No special tools. Beware the seawater pumps have a design flaw that allows the oil seal to get cockeyed on the shaft & weep sometimes after only 2-300 hrs. According to Depco, johnson/JD are working on the 4th or 5th iteration to fix this. Depco tried epoxy to mount the seal on mine & it is holding up?. Because of the seal issue, I just pull the pump once it starts to weep, send it to Depco where they replace the impeller during the rebuild. Personally, I’ve only replaced the impeller on the work bench! I have a spare pump & “aux” gasket on hand so change out is <30 minutes.

If your 6068 has the coolant pipe from thermostat housing to water pump running across the middle of the fan belt cage (newer models have the pipe running under the cage)I recommend you replace the block butterfly coolant drain valve with a 1/4” npt threaded adapter & valve with hose barb to facilitate dropping the coolant easily & cleanly since this is required for any access to the serpentine belt, belt tensioner, alternator, & heat exchanger service.

Otherwise they are solid simple motors. Having owned a ‘98 GB 36 Classic, I think a 42 EU single with bow & stern thrusters is the absolute perfect coastal cruiser tres jealous!

Btw (& only if you dock/ lock frequently) the Bluetooth remote for your sidepower thrusters is a simple DIY install that makes life incredibly easy since they operate from the rail or standing on the dock adjusting lines in stiff wind/current.

Wow that’s good and thorough info thank you. Sounds like the thrusters might be fine.
I will read this other stuff slowly while looking at the motor, soon. This is the 6068sfm50 300 HP at 2600 rpm (m5). Keep ‘em coming thank you.

Pulling an impeller is generally easy. At first attempt it may seem impossible to get the old one out. Use two flat headed screwdrivers and it should pop right out. You can try to pull it out using pliers on the impellers but you will probably tear them off. Not a big deal as long as you can account for all the pieces.

I make a little drawing to show which way the impeller blades are bent but I have been told this does not matter. They will "right" themselves with no damage done.

Finally, if the brass cover plate is significantly etched or scratched, most are reversible.

This is one of the most user friendly repairs you can do. I really don't see the need to hire it out.

pete

Thanks Pete. Haven’t really put eyes on it. Was hoping I don’t need a puller. Hopefully it is easy access in a single. Would be ironic if that part was still hard to access! I’m sure it’s not. Eventually will get a spare pump too, especially after flatswing’s advice.

Thanks Pete. Haven’t really put eyes on it. Was hoping I don’t need a puller. Hopefully it is easy access in a single. Would be ironic if that part was still hard to access! I’m sure it’s not. Eventually will get a spare pump too, especially after flatswing’s advice.

Just cause you don’t need a puller doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get one. Sure, two screwdrivers will do it, but a good puller gives great control. Especially on the larger pumps. Screwdrivers can leave little burrs on the case that will need to be dressed on reassembly unless you wrap the shanks.
Just personal preference I guess.

I am a big fan of redundancy on a boat. If having a spare water pump makes you feel better by all means go get one.

You will be just as well served if when you buy your new impeller, you get two. or even three.

pete

Well, it’s official! Closed Friday and the capt and the fam brought her home. Long lock wait reasons unclear but good maneuvering practice. Changed that impeller it was a beyotch both ways. But it worked and the boat ran great. Nice day

My to do list is so long the first item is make to do lists.
Remove and Refinish name boards with new name — Ripple. Thinking a decal and some epoxy and varnish. Anyone have tips on that?

Among other research projects is how to post pics. They are just on my phone.
Also want to get a dehumidifier that will drain into sink. Any good tips there? For while we’re away and boat is sealed up at the dock, on ac power.
Knew going in the 200 amp externally regulated alternator is not putting out more than about 12.8 Volts. Not sure yet what kind of either or how old. Prob start a new thread about that. Need to figure out the battery system too…
Put a big dent in my 20 hours of training. Thanks all!

Congrats on the new boat. That Deere engine is a great piece of machinery. Take care of it and it will outlive us all.
Looking forward to pics.

Congrats on the purchase. We love ours. Strip the name boards and get your lettering from Boat U.S. Refinish right over the lettering with a half dozen coats of varnish…….to start. Lol.
Good luck and enjoy!

Well, it’s official! Closed Friday and the capt and the fam brought her home. Long lock wait reasons unclear but good maneuvering practice. Changed that impeller it was a beyotch both ways. But it worked and the boat ran great. Nice day

My to do list is so long the first item is make to do lists.
Remove and Refinish name boards with new name — Ripple. Thinking a decal and some epoxy and varnish. Anyone have tips on that?

Among other research projects is how to post pics. They are just on my phone.
Also want to get a dehumidifier that will drain into sink. Any good tips there? For while we’re away and boat is sealed up at the dock, on ac power.
Knew going in the 200 amp externally regulated alternator is not putting out more than about 12.8 Volts. Not sure yet what kind of either or how old. Prob start a new thread about that. Need to figure out the battery system too…
Put a big dent in my 20 hours of training. Thanks all!

There’s a guy down in Olympia that hand paints name boards. I’ve seen them done in gold leaf that are really nice. If interested I can help hook you up. He only does the name part, you do the varnish.

Thanks I may look him up... I know I still owe some pictures its on my list!

I went with one of these for dehumidifier...

<<<Ivation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier Compact and Quiet - With Continuous Drain Hose for Smaller Spaces, Bathroom, Attic, Crawlspace and Closets - For Spaces Up To 270 Sq Ft, WhiteIvation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier Compact and Quiet - With Continuous Drain Hose for Smaller Spaces, Bathroom, Attic, Crawlspace and Closets - For Spaces Up To 270 Sq Ft, White
13-Pint

4.3 out of 5 stars 462
$189.99>>>

It cuts off at 50F, most do. Warm up the end of the drain hose before shoving it over the internal hose connect, that ensures the distillate actually goes down the hose. You might need a bigger one given the size of your boat.

If you have covered moorage that will help a lot too. Sounds like the boat was kept in fresh water, that means likely no barney build up in thruster tunnels or on the blades/gearbox.

And...if you are thinking of putting the boat on the hard for bottom work/zincs/etc start shopping for a time slot for that now, good yards can have long lead times.

And welcome to trawler world, its a lot of fun!

Last edited:
NWboater2- welcome to the grand Banks family. You’re going to love this boat. Every time you leave the dock and turn your head when you’re leaving you going to think, “how did I get so lucky“. We adore our 03 GB 42EU.
If you haven’t already, check out the grand Banks Facebook owners group. You’ll find it an infinite wealth of knowledge.
Kevin

If you re use the name boards you should make a space between the gelcoat and the back of the sign. Use some type of plastic washer, not steel which will rust. Having a little airspace behind the board will help it last longer and won't etch the gelcoat so badly.

pete

Name Boards

Congrats on new boat. Prism in Seattle does a good job on vinyl lettering. Located in the south end a couple of blocks off Marginal Way. Have used them for several boats.

565D76F1-0BC6-44FD-8F49-ECC72FC4EB97.jpg
Ok here she is. I do love to look back at her. Good advise re the name boards; gonna have to address the transom too. There’s an awl wood question in my future. If I go that route probably will do all the exterior wood trim.

More pressing issue is the low output from the original externally regulated alternator, which may explain a low voltage alarm when using the bow thruster, which may be the cause of or the result of the thruster dust I talked about about before?
Still trying to figure out the electrical system. Has eight lifeline AGMs of unknown age, seven in original wiring plan plus a later installed stern thruster and batt. Engine start, gen start, 8D bow thrust, four 4Ds for house/inverter. Plus stern thrust which appears to have its own acr and charger. Newer victron 12/3000/120 multi charger inverter. Not sure if two or three banks. (Also has 6kw NL gen) prob start a new thread on that when I get stuck which won’t be long.
Having fun so far. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks Dave I’m glad you’re still here.

Hi,

Nice boat good luck and smooth waters. I noticed the cockpit covers, they are excellent equipment if you boat in colder areas, a little sun so you have "summer" in your cockpit even if it's really cold outside, like spring and autumn here in Finland.

interesting that the boat is a single JD, do you have any information on the fuel consumption, it must be lower than the twins?

NBs

Nice looking boat, I'm excited for you.

I have said it before. There is no place for 8Ds on a boat. I'm not famiar with 4Ds but if they are anything like 8D, they are bad news.

Sounds like a qualified electrician needs to spend a little time on your boat. There may not be anything wrong but it can get complicated.

BTW, slightly "stitious" as opposed to "superstitious". I finally got it, good one.

pete

Back
Top Bottom