Headed south in September through Panama to Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Jeff

Greetings all,

I have an offer to do a delivery of a 96' Wilmington for the owner if it passes the survey inspection. He intends to run the vessel from Seattle to Texas through the canal and wants to do so in early September.

As a delivery captain I have done most of my work in the Puget Sound, Florida and parts of the Caribbean. I have never run the coastline and I have some concerns about the departure date in September.

Asking for suggestions as the "best" weather window. My thoughts would be late July through August.

Can anyone who has done a trip like this give some advice or suggestions?
Thank you.
Jeff

Seattle south through Mexico during the peak of hurricane season?

Don't even think about it, you are already too late. Tropical systems are starting to form in Southern Mexico already.

Wait till minimum October 15th before departing Ensenada Mexico.

Last edited:
Never heard of Wilmington. Google solved that. Old wooden boat that looks heavily modified and has had grand refit plans yet unfulfilled. But all you need is watertightness and an engine.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1927-wilmington-boat-works-96-ft-custom-motor-yacht-7929560/

With long slender waterline, that boat should get 250nm days in good weather. With 3000g diesel, it should have a lot of options for dodging storms.

Although hurricane season technically begins June 1, it peaks in September/October. So you'd be exposed and need to be very intelligent about tactics. One thing to get a forecast, another thing to know what to do with it.

Not only are there hurricanes to worry about, but there are some persistent threats too. Teujentepec and Papagallo. Then there's getting up the Caribbean and Atlantic. The obvious route due north from the Canal to Providencia then off Yucatan has some issues, not the least of which are piracy issues off Nicaragua.

Boats can be moved any month of the year. But some periods take skill and experience. Have you checked the Pilot Charts for seasonal information? I hate to sound snarky but is probably a situation of 'if you have to ask, you likely don't have the right skill or experience.'

And then there's the little issue of a 100-year old wooden boat for $100k that wopl cost $40k to deliver if everything goes roughly right. Oh.....don't forget about insurance........in hurricane season.

Peter

I have done that trip several times including once in September where we had to hide from 1 hurricane off El Salvador and 1 tropical storm off Hondourus , that Trip I happened to be with Captain John Rains who is the author of the original Mexico and South America cruising guides. ( mexican .gov hired John and his wife Pat to explore the mexican coast and write the guide). at the time it was Johns 70th Birthday and he made his 70th trip through the Panama canal on his Birthday. needless to say I learned a lot and it was one of my best trips ever.

anyhow I highly suggest both books if you are making that trip as they have all the anchorages and hideouts you are going to want to know.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/c-ports-the-cent-american-rte.html

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/mexico-boating-guide.html

fwiw, I am currently doing a Florida to Australia delivery and we just went through the canal a few weeks ago having done the florida to panama leg. now in South Pacific 1800nm from Fiji.

Seattle to Ensenada - then Ensenada to Texas through Panama canal

Capt. Jeff,

listen to "MVWEEBLES" & "KSANDERS" & "CAMOPIRATE" -- they know what they are talking about. Do the trip in weather window steps. Your talking just to get to Ensenada a 1,400 miles trip.

I too am a 100 ton captain based here on pacific coast & have done 7 trips through the ditch (Panama Canal), & headed south like your talking about doing & go through the Panama Canal & then north east bound & I never leave San Diego or Ensenada before November 1st to go south.

Remember, he said, hurricane season technically begins June 1, it peaks in September/October. -- No insurance company will cover you if you leave much before that. I hope your not thinking of running without insurance, as you will be liable my friend. Be careful what you get tangled into.

"Ksanders" - he is 100% correct & on target. -- please listen to what he is saying.

You leaving Seattle now in July, to go down to San Diego is doable today in summer time weather. -- IMHO - Possibly, it may be a bit two Late to do in late September, on the edge of not recommending, as just is a little too late in the season my friend. How about August instead ?

Here is the approximate mileage break down for going south out of Seattle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle entrance to Port Townsend entrance -- 40 miles

Port Townsend to Cape Flattery -- 86 miles

Cape Flattery entrance to Grays Harbor entrance -- 96 miles

(There also is "La Push" which I wouldn't recommend going into. Can be tricky and not much space.)

Grays harbor entrance to Columbia River light ship --44 miles

Columbia River light ship @ outer entrance to Tillamook - 40 miles

Tillamook entrance to Newport entrance - 55 miles

Newport entrance to Coos Bay entrance -- 77 miles

Coos Bay entrance to Port Orford entrance -- 51 miles

Port Orford to Crescent City entrance -- 65 miles

Crescent City to Eureka entrance -- 60 miles

Eureka entrance to Shelter Cove to entrance -- 54 miles

Shelter Cove to Bodega Bay entrance -- 117 miles

Bodega Bay to Pt Reyes -- 23 miles

Pt Reyes to SF bay entrance -- 28 miles

so there is 1st part of your trip from Seattle to San Francisco in a nut shell. -- or Approximately 836 miles.

I try to leave Seattle in July or August, period-!, - head down Pacific Coast & then plan to lay over in Ensenada, MX. till November. The go south after November 1st, weather allowing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next 2nd part of the trip south :TRIP: San Francisco Bay, CA to Channel Islands Harbor near Oxnard, CA.

I have done that trip both ways many times.

so, next - on Recent Last trip took me 2 days, 2 hours, 22 minutes - and we went straight through with no stops.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
San Francisco Bay to Half Moon Bay - 24
Half Moon Bay to Monterey bay- 62
Monterey bay to Morro Bay to - 102 - longest unprotected coast.
Morro Bay to Port San Luis to - 21
Port San Luis to Cojo Anchorage - 51
Cojo Anchorage to Santa Barbara to - 35
Santa Barbara to Channel Islands Hbr to - 27

total - harbor entrance sea buoy to sea buoy - 322
*In harbor mileage extra
All distances in Nautical Miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next from Channel islands to Ensenada,

if your have enough crew you can do the 200 miles to Ensenada straight through. or a bit longer trip with stops along the way - (234-miles) -BTW - Checking in to the country of Mexico when in Ensenada is the best port in Mexico to do that in. You will need to get your "TIP" - temp import permit - recommended - before you leave San Diego - which can be done on-line.

if you like to stop to rest & make it a three jump trip --
1st stop in Catalina Twin harbors, 64 miles
2nd stop - jump next to San Diego - i recommend Chula Vista marina, 80 miles as Chula Vista is at the back of San Diego bay.
& then jump the last trip & go to Ensenada. -- 90 miles.

Good luck - timing of your departure is critical & do not do this trip at the wrong time.

Get the two books recommended by CamoPirate.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/c...rican-rte.html

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/m...ing-guide.html

Any questions or help needed let me know.

Alfa Mike

Last edited:
What they all said. Plus, I didn’t see any photos of the engine room, curious. Why no photos of the ER? I would plan on doing a complete inspection of the boat before undertaking a voyage of that length in hurricane season. Also some shakedown cruises before.

I'd be interested to know more about the boat and why the buyer is considering having it delivered. In decent condition, the boat has enough waterline (96' LOA x 20' beam) to leave PNW and make SoCal in a week. Make Acapulco in another week. Canal in another week. Speed would definitely make weather forecasting easier. Seriously, ability to make 225-250 nm days gives a ton of flexibility and safety........if the boat is up to it.

It's a 100 year old boat for sale for under $100k. Not exactly the type of boat made for Florida waters. What gives?

Peter

Trip South

Thanks all for some excellent suggestions.

I'll be reaching out once I more information from the owner.

Safe Cruising All,
Jeff.

A lovely old lady, and restored in Port Townsend. Truly a PNW boat with hydronic heating and presumably no A/C. Curious to know why the owner feels this is a good boat for Florida.
~A

A lovely old lady, and restored in Port Townsend. Truly a PNW boat with hydronic heating and presumably no A/C. Curious to know why the owner feels this is a good boat for Florida.
~A

Can you imagine how much A/C it would need?

96 footer - Seattle to Texas

I missed anything about it going to Florida -

I some how understood it was going to Texas. The buyer wanted it delivered to Texas.

Not sure where in Texas ?

Thanks,

Alfa Mike

I missed anything about it going to Florida -

I some how understood it was going to Texas. The buyer wanted it delivered to Texas.

Not sure where in Texas ?

Thanks,

Alfa Mike
My bad. Was Texas not Florida, though not sure it makes a difference. In some ways, makes it even more challenging as Texas destination essentially forces route through Yucatan Channel and along coast of Central America. While fairly quiet the last couple years, this coastline has had severe piracy incidents against private yachts. 5 years ago, there was an incident just off Peovidencia nearly 100 nms east of Nicaragua highlighting the range bad actors have in the region.

While I respect the general opinion in this thread to avoid hurricane season, I do not believe it a binary choice. Boats can be moved safely in any month of the year but it may be more difficult and the options fewer which makes it expensive - time is money. There is a huge difference between moving a Willlard 30 (AKDougs 120 nm/day boat that just returned from La Paz to SE Alaska) and a near-100 ft stilleto capable of 225+ mile days with a range of 2500 nms. Opens a lot of options. Weather window is viewed much different when you're looking 500-700 miles ahead, not 300.

I of course have no idea the condition of this boat. And the circumstances are curious - a 100 year old/$100k wooden boat that looks from the limited pictures like it's halfway through a remodel. And frankly, given the OP is admittedly inexperienced with this type of delivery, I have to question the owner's wisdom in seeking a qualified skipper. Moving a boat with crew for whom you're 100% responsible for (legally and otherwise) potentially through a dozen Latin American and Caribbean countries, some of which are not on good terms with America, requires experience and credentials far beyond a USCG 100T license.

Peter

We use the Yucatan channel when departing from Florida.
Here is our typical course, as you can see we stand off the coast of Honduras and Nicaragua far enough that reaching us in a panga is not practical.
The few piracy issues down there have been fishermen in pangas.

Attachments

• IMG_8791.jpg
    IMG_8791.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 54
We use the Yucatan channel when departing from Florida.
Here is our typical course, as you can see we stand off the coast of Honduras and Nicaragua far enough that reaching us in a panga is not practical.
The few piracy issues down there have been fishermen in pangas.

Especially from the Atlantic side of Florida, why not the Grand Bahamas Channel, down east of Cuba, stop in Port Antonio Jamaica, then south to Panama Canal? Its roughly the same distance and you are not bucking the Gulf Stream. Heading north, 'easting' is generally a preferred strategy to improve angle to prevailing seas.

Here is a CSSN report from March 18th 2022. Reported position 25-miles off Honduras. (CSSN located HERE)

at about 1000HRS, they were approached by a single open boat with 6 men onboard, and 5 men boarded. No weapons were displayed and they were told in Spanish "no guns, no calls, no problem". The pirates were a mix of young and old, some aggressive, some apparently drunk.​

Here is another report from October 2021 50-miles off coast of Nicaraugua:

two different skiffs containing 11 men approached at high speed from port with one moving to approach from the stern. The yacht resumed evasive maneuvers and again presented a show of force. The 2 skiffs regrouped about 100 meters behind and tracked for 30 minutes before disappearing​

Here is the best source I know for Caribbean maritime reporting. Not sure what you mean by "The few piracy issues down there have been fishermen in pangas." Almost sounds like you believe fishermen will go 50-miles offshore to trade fish for rum or something. Personally, I find the above reports troubling. There are fewer now than a few years ago, but there are enough that I will avoid the area, especially since going east is a better route.

Peter

What I am saying is local fishermen, the kind you see living in meager shacks in small fish camps can no longer support their families because in many areas the factory trawlers have raped the fisheries and depleted the resources, desperate to survive some local fishermen have turned to piracy.

That said, many will trade some of their catch for fresh water and food. This is fairly common along the mexican coast.

What I am saying is local fishermen, the kind you see living in meager shacks in small fish camps can no longer support their families because in many areas the factory trawlers have raped the fisheries and depleted the resources, desperate to survive some local fishermen have turned to piracy.

That said, many will trade some of their catch for fresh water and food. This is fairly common along the mexican coast.

What time of year did you do the course highlighted from Navionics JPG?Prevailing seas often come from due east/NE putting them in the vicinity of beam if you are headed directly north or south. Especially headed north, seems like everything pushes a boat towards Nicaragua so its hard to maintain any easting. And then there is the Gulf Stream headed north at 1-2 knots or more, an extra treat for southbound travel.......

Must be a reason for the name of the northern point of Nicaragua"Gracias a Dios" (Thank you God!).

I've purchased fish and shrimp from fishermen in Mexico, but its been a long time ago. My best fish trade has been Coos Bay Oregon where I snared some albacore from a local fisherman just because he thought the N46 I came in on was cool and he felt sorry for me since my clients were vegetarians (though the husband made an exception that night). And then there were the fishermen in West End Bahamas - they had fish, I had limes.......

Peter

Last edited:
The route I posted above we departed Fort Lauderdale may 3rd and arrived panama may 10th. 2023

I didn’t screenshot and weather data from this run but we had fine weather the entire time.

I have done that same route in September, October, December, April May

USVI direct to Panama in December, off the Venezuela north coast the Christmas Trades can be very sporty.

I really hope you'll keep us posted on what happens. This could be a pretty cool adventure!

I have done this run only 3X. Each time going to the Yucatan and this is the best shot to Texas. Gulf Stream is behind you. If you go thru Mona Passage, you are bucking into the trades and seas. Yes, there are potential issues off Nicaragua. We stayed well to the East each time.

My major concern is the boat, and its apparent condition. I don't see any weather fax, or SSB radio for weather--have to have some satellite connection. Even with the work done 5 years ago, I see things which worry me in the frames that are visible. Even with the work described there are a lot of planks not replaced and subject to being sprung or leakage. I doubt that insurance is available at any cost for this trip and vessel. Although GMC engines are generally reliable, there is no alternate form of propulsion. That alone is a risk in my book. Fuel tanks should be cleaned and fuel "polished". One of the most frequent issues we have seen is boats which have been sitting in relatively quiet waters and then go to sea, there is a lot of debris in the bottom of the tanks. Filters changed, then engines have to be bled, etc--we saw 3 boats who had this issue, had run out of filters and battery power North of Santa Barbara.

The vessel is totally not suitable for semitropical waters, with little ventilation and no air conditioning. The interior is a disaster, and will become more so after a few days at sea. There is a bank of air tanks, this suggests to me that at one time there was an air start engine in this vessel. (I would think that the GMC is electrical start. We see several generators and a 3rd auxiliary diesel engine (for hydraulics?), but don't see the battery banks, Then add in a new addition which is going to change the handling and sea kindliness to some degree. I would not risk my life. Sorry to be so blunt.

I will be possibly heading south from San Diego to Panama around the same time as you. Mid-October is what I am looking at. Delivering a 73' power catamaran.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom