Guest 2433 Galvanic Isolator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
I have a Guest 2433 GI which has now been discontinued. There is a red LED light on the AC panel labeled Isolation fault. The light flashes on for about 3 seconds then turns off for the same amount of time. What is this light telling me? I can find no mention of the light in the instructions nor the net.

I tested the GI by removing the wires and attaching my multi-meter to each prong. First red to boat ground and black to shore ground then switched the leads. Both tested 1.1 VDC which is slightly above the stated .9 VDC.

I assume since this GI has an "idiot" light it fails open. If this is the case it appears it tests OK??

As mentioned before the unit has been discontinued. It has a rather small footprint and both terminals are on one end. The new models are quite a bit larger and the terminals are on opposite ends. My space is severely limited and the wiring will probably not reach the opposite end of a newer model.

Of course the wiring and location can be done but first I want to make sure it needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions?

I would contact Guest and see what they say. If it isn’t in the documentation then it will be tough to figure it out.

I am unclear on your troubleshooting process. When using the DMM did you have it on the diode test mode? If not, then repeat using this mode. Readings should be within 10% of each other for most GIs.

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question i did have the multimeter set on the diode mode.

@Divealot
OK. As I said before, the general spec is that the readings should be within 10% of each other. Your readings are borderline on this general spec.

Monitored GIs have fallen out of favor with the advent of the shore power pedestal RCD because the monitoring on most (I have no experience with Guest GIs) GIs temporarily bonds N>G which will trip the upstream RCD.

If you can't get definitive info from Guest, I would recommend replacing the GI with the a failsafe model from Dairyland Marine .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom