Grand Banks electric range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loon

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irene Mae
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
Any GB affectionados know if GB built 36’ classics in 1982 with Electric Ranges or propane? Ours has electric and we want to convert it to propane. There is a copper line behind the range that goes to the flybridge port seat. I think it is 1/4”. Seems too good to be true.

A friend's GB42 (1974) with electric stove had the factory installed copper line behind the stove.

Sure sounds like a propane line. You will want to trace it out and pressure test it. Could have been abandoned because it leaks.

Thanks, always the best place to get views.
Loon

My earlier boat, a 1979 GB 42, also had a copper line from the gas range to the flybridge seat. I believe it was original.

It had a manual valve which you can see in the photograph below. If you have one you might consider eliminating it and adding a solenoid valve at the tank.

Attachments

•  propane.jpeg
    propane.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 62
My earlier boat, a 1979 GB 42, also had a copper line from the gas range to the flybridge seat. I believe it was original.

It had a manual valve which you can see in the photograph below. If you have one you might consider eliminating it and adding a solenoid valve at the tank.
Interesting post. I suspect that this arrangement is not GB original. The original copper tube was run inside the column between the windows and the manual shutoff valve was inside the locker on the upper deck with the handle protruding through the deckhead.

Sorry to fire my 2 cents here especially since we are not GB people.

Our Albin has a copper line from the bridge, we have 2 wells under the cowling, to the galley at the electric stove. She also had 4 electrical wires from the wiring closet in the fwd head to the bow for a windlass.

They were really thinking back then, we have an '86.

Any GB affectionados know if GB built 36’ classics in 1982 with Electric Ranges or propane? Ours has electric and we want to convert it to propane. There is a copper line behind the range that goes to the flybridge port seat. I think it is 1/4”. Seems too good to be true.
If you decide to proceed with the switch to propane, be sure the installation is in compliance with the current ABYC guidelines for such systems.

Since 1982, the installation requirements for marine propane systems have become more stringent in response to many explosions, injuries and fatalities.

It is a fact of life is that propane is heavier than air and any leak in the system will seek the lowest point, which in a boat is often the bilge where the electrical and spark opportunities for an explosion are great.

Among the current guidelines are having a dedicated, sealed locker for the propane tanks and solenoid, with overboard drainage, continuous piping between the locker and the appliance with no joints or junctions, and having a propane fume sensor system and solenoid switch adjacent to where the appliance is located which tests the sensors and alarms and closes the solenoid if any fumes are detected.

Thanks for all the input. We’ve decided to forgo the conversion. Too many hurdles for an old boat.
Loon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom