Grand Banks 52 Alaskan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thinK you are going to find some soft wood in the frames that will take $200,000 to cure properly.

But hay, that’s an uneducated guess from some one who has seen a lot of wood boats stuck in modern yards for months on end. Why is the boat so cheap, cause we know it’s not.

I’d love to know the history of that boat. Looks a LOT like an Alaskan that was at our marina for at least 25 years.

Agree on reading the other thread IF you are an experienced boat woodworker. If you aren’t then don’t even tempt yourself. A 52’ that they are asking $40K for can’t be a good deal.

Twistedtree had the seminal post: possible to buy a boat like this for $40k, sink $200k into it. Then be able to sell it for.......$40k.

Wood boats can make sense. Lot of boat for not much money upfront. But it carries a very steep potential risk so you have to be very careful. Boats are generally a money pit. Large wooden boats can redefine into a money quarry.

Good luck.

Peter

And as mentioned in the other thread, if you were to make the plunge, first make sure you can insure it, find a marina that will let a wooden boat store there and find a yard that will haul it. Any of those can be a deal breaker IMO.

So, you’re going to be into this boat for at least $250k, more likely $300k, and it will still be a 50-year-old vessel with 50-year-old engines. I still contend that if someone really, really wants a wood vessel, then a new build in India or SE Asia would be the way to go. Can be built for about that same price (minus the yacht-level of finish or interior). I seriously looked into this back when I living in India, but luckily my wife put an end to that idea!

I’d love to know the history of that boat. Looks a LOT like an Alaskan that was at our marina for at least 25 years.

If your marina is White Point Marina in Kinsale, VA, that's the same boat.

So, you’re going to be into this boat for at least $250k, more likely $300k, and it will still be a 50-year-old vessel with 50-year-old engines. I still contend that if someone really, really wants a wood vessel, then a new build in India or SE Asia would be the way to go. Can be built for about that same price (minus the yacht-level of finish or interior). I seriously looked into this back when I living in India, but luckily my wife put an end to that idea!

I think there are some wood boats out there in very good shape that would do well with a motivated owner with deep pockets and/or a lot of skill and time who knew what they were getting into.

This one looks amazing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1970-defever-passage-maker-8532429/

I said 25 years, probably more like 15-20. It may have ended up at White Point later but spent at least 15 at Olverson’s. I remember when it showed up back in the mid 90’s. It was one rough looking boat, but the guy who bought it spent some serious coin making it look good again. Went aboard it several times and I remember thinking how small it was on the inside compared to the outside.
By the time it left, it was starting to look rough again, but no where near as bad as when it first showed up.
For several years, we had our boat docked directly behind it. All the nearby boats were going through zincs pretty good at the time and we are pretty sure the Alaskan was the culprit.

Last edited:
I think there are some wood boats out there in very good shape that would do well with a motivated owner with deep pockets and/or a lot of skill and time who knew what they were getting into.

This one looks amazing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1970-defever-passage-maker-8532429/
Says hull planks have been replaced. Boat is in Virginia. A friend and I have talked about buying a disposable boat for a 1-2 year fun run. At the end, either fire-sale it or chop it up and walk away. If this one is in decent shape (and given the repairs it may be), might be a candidate for the alcohol inspired dreams of a couple of old sailors.

Peter

Says hull planks have been replaced. Boat is in Virginia. A friend and I have talked about buying a disposable boat for a 1-2 year fun run. At the end, either fire-sale it or chop it up and walk away. If this one is in decent shape (and given the repairs it may be), might be a candidate for the alcohol inspired dreams of a couple of old sailors.

Peter

Ok, how many planks? 2-3 or 20-30? When was the last time the bottom was refastened? I’m sure that has been done at least once and maybe due for a second go around. If so, it is a dirty, labor intensive and expensive job.

As others mentioned, find a marina that will let you keep it there and if you find one, most likely they will require, at minimum, liability insurance. Step 2, find someone who will insure it. Step 3, if you find someone to insure it, most likely they will require a survey.

Last edited:
Ok, how many planks? 2-3 or 20-30? When was the last time the bottom was refastened? I’m sure that has been done once and maybe due for a second round. If so, it is a dirty, labor intensive and expensive job.
It's a Craigslist ad. All I'm saying is it's possible the owner has kept after the boat. Nothing wrong with inquiring more.

The seller of a wood boat really needs go be open-Kimono. Have survey in-hand and be willing to share. Or they can wait for a Rube to find them. This Alaskan (the OP query, not the CL one) has been waiting for a while. Looks nice in pics. Wonder why she hasn't found a home. She probably costs close to $1k/mo for skip plus insurance and diver. I would think the owner would be willing to give it away.

Peter

We bought our last boat from there. Wonderful small marina. The owner and workers were magnificent. They have a marine railwaay so hauling wooden boats is possible. The facilities are a bit rough but the attitude makes up for it.

We bought our last boat from there. Wonderful small marina. The owner and workers were magnificent. They have a marine railwaay so hauling wooden boats is possible. The facilities are a bit rough but the attitude makes up for it.

I’m guessing you dealt with Rob Redfern. He sold the marina a year or two ago. I understand the new owner has P-O’d a lot of people.

I’m guessing you dealt with Rob Redfern. He sold the marina a year or two ago. I understand the new owner has P-O’d a lot of people.

Yes, it was him. He was great. Too bad he no longer runs it.

Alaskan's are great boats

I have owned two wooden cruising boats in my career. Disregarding brightwork, I found the maintenance of a well built wooden hull to be not a whole lot different than fiberglas. I did have to do the periodic paint job which was pricey, and I did have some deck issues that required maintenance and replacement. I would have no qualms about owning another wooden hulled boat.
That said, Alaskan's are great boats, well designed, well built but as with any boat of that era, maintenance is the key. Pay more for a well maintained boat of a good pedigree and you should be fine. Like most Grand Banks, pay attention to fuel tanks, deck condition, windows and like most wooden boats, fastenings, rot and general maintenance.
Bottom line: do not dismiss a wooden boat simply because it's wood, dismiss any boat that has not been maintained.

We love our well maintained wood boat. Wouldn’t change a thing.

I have owned two wooden cruising boats in my career. Disregarding brightwork, I found the maintenance of a well built wooden hull to be not a whole lot different than fiberglas. I did have to do the periodic paint job which was pricey, and I did have some deck issues that required maintenance and replacement. I would have no qualms about owning another wooden hulled boat.
That said, Alaskan's are great boats, well designed, well built but as with any boat of that era, maintenance is the key. Pay more for a well maintained boat of a good pedigree and you should be fine. Like most Grand Banks, pay attention to fuel tanks, deck condition, windows and like most wooden boats, fastenings, rot and general maintenance.
Bottom line: do not dismiss a wooden boat simply because it's wood, dismiss any boat that has not been maintained.

I’m assuming you never had to have a bottom refastened. If you had, I’m guessing your opinion would be different.

Wood Boats

That boat is sweet! You guys are far too hard on Wood Boats, I suppose there is a wood boat forum out there that is bashing fiberglass boats?? I would be afraid to post photos of my boat, it's glass but old and always needs something done, probably cost me 300K as well over time..

That boat is sweet! You guys are far too hard on Wood Boats, I suppose there is a wood boat forum out there that is bashing fiberglass boats?? I would be afraid to post photos of my boat, it's glass but old and always needs something done, probably cost me 300K as well over time..

It isn’t just the members here that are bashing wooden boats, it is the insurance companies, the boat yards that will not haul them and the marinas that will not let them have a slip.

While some people bash wood boats in general, let’s not forget this thread is about a Craig’s list boat that is selling for substantially under market.

While some people bash wood boats in general, let’s not forget this thread is about a Craig’s list boat that is selling for substantially under market.

Maybe it’s on CL as well but the OP gave a link to an EBay listing with no reserve. Bidding ended on May 1 with no bids.

Just maybe the boat is priced over market value.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, extensive repair of rotted wood. No red flags there.

It isn’t just the members here that are bashing wooden boats, it is the insurance companies, the boat yards that will not haul them and the marinas that will not let them have a slip.

The seller says the boat must go as it doesn’t comply with marina rules set by the new owners. I’m guessing it is getting kicked out because it is a wooden boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom