Gas to Electric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blarg21

Vessel Make
Luhrs 400 Tournament
I have a 1989 Luhrs 400 that I don't particularly plan on selling anytime soon. Diesels are pretty well out of the question due to the cost it would take to purchase and install (from what I have found somewhere around 100k for the engines and install). I started looking into the idea of going electric - gas hybrid. What is everyone's thoughts? From what I can gather it would be somewhere around 25kish for the batteries (it would be like back of the napkin math 15 57v 56AH 3.5Kw battery packs for a 50KwH battery pack), motors and controllers not counting what I could get for the old 89 Crusader 454's. Anyways the motors I have selected would be the equivalent of Lehman 120's. The boat still has a 6.5 Kw gas generator that would stay and I am putting on solar and probably a wind generator. I was just wondering what everyone else though about the idea if it was good, bad or just different for regional florida cruising, maybe just maybe if the stars align getting to the Bahamas and or the Keys.

Welcome aboard. Don’t know if it is a good idea or not but you would probably run the resale value way down since it would be such a unique vessel. There would be a very limited market for it I think.

I don't really care about resale value and thanks for the welcome Comodave. Been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on buying a boat for Fl / GoM cruising in general. HTurner, I looked there and then discovered evwest.com for the motor and batteries.

you are asking for trouble and spending much more than you think. replace with same engines is best bet.

If boating is your hobby , why become a Beta tester on your own dime?

I was just wondering what everyone else though about the idea if it was good, bad or just different for regional florida cruising, maybe just maybe if the stars align getting to the Bahamas and or the Keys.

Dunno if good or not, but...

Might be useful to compare against just repowering with new gas engines. (or rebuilt, re-man, etc.) That could mean carbureted or injected, mechanical or electronic, whatever your wallet prefers. Might mean being able to keep existing gears, shafts, props, etc.

-Chris

There are a couple of Greenline (diesel-electric hybrid) boat owners on this forum. I would try and get some input from them based on their experience. I believe one is in the process of repowering, due to an unrelated issue but is forgoing the hybrid functionality due to the electric motor not handling strong currents well and he was in the South Florida area.

Good luck to whatever path you choose but I would recommend finding another boat that already has diesels. I looked at a Luhrs 3400 motor yacht this spring that had been repowered with Yanmar 315's. It must have been an expensive endeavor but the boat was for sale for only $40k.

Just keep in mind that the 50 KW battery pack has approximately the same energy content as 5 quarts of diesel (or 6 quarts of gas). The 6.5 KW genset produces about 9 hp in electricity. If you are headed for Bahamas you better also add a sailing rig.

With two motors, he can run one will the other is in regen mode.

It smells bad to me.
What happens when your batteries are dead, on a lee shore, overcast and no wind?
Your engines are as much emergency equipment as propulsion. It's cheaper and easier to rebuild your gas engines than come back from being dead.
You can buy a 454 short block for $2000 on ebay and elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom