Ford Lehman 120 oil filter housing - need part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalrider

Guru
Vessel Name
SEA WOLF
Vessel Make
1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Replacing all my oil & tranny heat exchangers and hoses, I seem to have over-tightened the NPT fitting that screws into the bottom of the spin-on oil filter base, cracking the casting & creating an oil leak.

The part is shown on the left of the pic (before the new parts). Anyone know where I could get a replacement housing? I have a note in to Brian at American Diesel as well & will report his response here.

Attachments

• IMG_5659 Large.jpg
    IMG_5659 Large.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 148
Did you call Brian or email him? The emails don’t seem to work as well as a phone call in my experience.

Did you call Brian or email him? The emails don’t seem to work as well as a phone call in my experience.

Thanks. It's late over there so I just sent an e-mail. I've had pretty good luck with that method in the past actually, but I might give him a call tomorrow if I don't get a response.

You can probably use any number of aftermarket remote mounts. You’d just have to make sure it had the right fittings.

Ken

You can probably use any number of aftermarket remote mounts. You’d just have to make sure it had the right fittings.

Ken

Yeah I need the same fittings & mounting bracket, as well as filter size. Same hose orientation would be helpful too Most of the stuff I see is pretty different (filter mounts under housing, etc.) I'll keep poking around.

If desperate,JB Weld is fuel resistant, so likely oil too. I successfully repaired a plastic integral outboard fuel tank with it.

If desperate,JB Weld is fuel resistant, so likely oil too. I successfully repaired a plastic integral outboard fuel tank with it.

Hah - if you look at the oil cooler in the pic I posted it's got a JB Weld repair on it that got me back home from Catalina last summer after some encouragement from the TF brain trust.

Not desperate this time thankfully!

Aftermarket should be easy to find. The filter is a PH8A which is very common.
But it doesn't really matter what oil filter base you choose.

Thanks all. Brian at American Diesel has it in stock (810-0312) for $98. Big beefy casting. I'm going to go ahead and get it since it'll ensure I don't need any new brackets, fittings, or lines.

I love how that oil filter is upside down, although the writing on it is correct. How do you guys collect the oil when you take it off? Does it make a big mess? The Porsche 944's that I used to work on were like that too and we used to swear at the German who designed it that way. We finally figured out that if you punched a hole in the top and used an air nozzle it would get most of the oil out. Would that work for you too?

Some engines have re-plumbed the oil filter in order to have it hang under the base. Here is a picture of mine.
Regards,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 75
I love how that oil filter is upside down, although the writing on it is correct. How do you guys collect the oil when you take it off? Does it make a big mess? The Porsche 944's that I used to work on were like that too and we used to swear at the German who designed it that way. We finally figured out that if you punched a hole in the top and used an air nozzle it would get most of the oil out. Would that work for you too?

I just throw a pig mat underneath. It's a crappy solution, but not worth re-doing.

On the starboard engine, access is much worse, with only about 12" between the engine & fuel tank. In that case I appreciate being able to get at the filter from above.

12” is luxurious access. On our last boat we had a bit less than 6” on the starboard side. Made changing the impeller challenging.

Back
Top Bottom