First oil change Cummins 6.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amxr39

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Allegro
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Hull #61
I’m getting ready to do my first oil change. I haven’t had luck finding the information I’m looking for. I plan on using Rotella 15-40. Should I use T4 conventional or T6 synthetic? With 150 hours on the motor, it isn’t really broken in yet, so I’m leaning towards T-4.
I want to send a sample of my oil out for analysis. What companies have you used and can recommend?
Any other tips I should know? I do not have the Reverso system.
Love my Helmsman!
Thank you.
Mike

I think Cummins only recommends single weight non synthetic oils. And if you follow their oil change recommendations there isn’t any benefits for synthetics.

David

I have Valvoline Premium Blue API CK-4 15W40 ready to go for my first oil change. Pretty sure it’s the only “official” oil Cummins recommends. It took some digging but I think I pulled this from the Cummins online manual. Any spec oil will probably be fine. And I concur about the Dino oil.

Last edited:
I’ve used these guys for Mercedes Sprinter Van diesel oil analysis. There may be someone better suited for marine Cummins.

My last boat (diesel Ranger Tug) didn’t have a Reverso but I cobbled together a 12 volt pump and bucket system going down the fill tube. It was clunky but worked. I think West Marine has something similar. My 43E has the Reverso and I love it. Made changing transmission fluid a breeze.

And I also love my Helmsman…

What does your manual say? What API certification requirement? CH-4, CJ-4, CK-4? Something else? Its important on the new engines. I've used Blackstone, but expect a month turnaround. You are going to need at least one sample bottle for the main and one for the generator.

If you don’t have a drain hose on the oil pan when you have the oil out would be a great time to install one and a shutoff valve at the pan. Then you can attach a portable pump to drain the oil in the future.

High Wire, the written manual says CJ4 but as I recall the online manual from Cummins stipulates CK4.

For oil, fuel and coolant testing I use Cat's SOS service. Turnaround in my hood is less than a week including the dealer shipping the samples 700 miles to the lab.

Cat has a dealer, H.O.Penn, in Newington. It may be quicker than a month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom