First/Last Yacht need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.S. Minnow

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Hello all,
We recently retired and are looking to spend half the year or so (WINTER) on the water down south.
Eau Claire WI set a record high 89 degrees Wednesday and another record high on Thursday last week and we have 6" of fresh snow on the ground today. Sigh...
Being we are located in central Wisconsin we will be mooring our rig on the Mississippi river and will be traveling the length of the river down into the Gulf of Mexico and on to the Caribbean and back each year... ish.

Couple general basic questions to start the discussion. Our experience is with fishing boats. Nothing large, no fixed props. Spent entire adult life on the Mississippi river between Minnesota and Wisconsin and inland lakes.

The Mississippi travels downstream at about 3mph and up to 7-8mph during flood stage. My initial concern was how much horsepower heading up stream during flood stage would be necessary to keep control of the boat if a engine would go down at an inopportune time.
We are looking at a 1999 64' Horizon Elegance with a pair of Caterpillar 3196 660hp. She has a 4'6" draft and comes in at 60,000lbs. I felt after looking at many that this was possibly under powered but this seems after impute to not be the case? I really like the thought of these size engines sipping diesel compared to others we are looking at. But would they be efficient or would they be worked more due to size? The only way I know to compare is math. I hope you guys know more. We are looking at four rigs seriously two domestic and two overseas.

1. 99 Horizon Elegance 64' 1320hp 30 ton 4'6" draft 16'3" beam 45lbs/hp
2. 99 FairlaneSquadron 62' 2100hp 36 ton 4'6" draft 16'4" beam 34lbs/hp
3. 00 Horizon Elegance 66' 2800hp 47 ton 5'3" draft 18' beam 34lbs/hp
4. 01 Maiora 20 68' 2700hp 66 ton 5'3" draft 18'4" beam 48lbs/hp

I am not interested in going fast at all but I must have boat control in heavy current.
Your thoughts on power needed?
How much river would I need to turn these rigs around?
How much river needed if one engine down in heavy current to turn?
I'll be the first to admit I am a prepper. Don't like surprises. Over think everything. Zero experience with these size rigs. Lots of experience operating every kind of heavy equipment.
Thank you in advance and look forward to your impute.
Corey

When you say "fishing boats" and "nothing large". Do you mean like a 24' walk around like a Grady White? If yes, I think your biting off more than you can chew.

Have you looked into Insurance. Some Ins Co. on boats that big what you to have a Capt. Lic. Or to be trained by one and he signs off that you know how to handle her.

Agree on the insurance angle. Likely you will have to jump through some hoops to get it. I would talk to a broker about it. I use Peter Ricks at Novamar. He is wonderful. 206-350-5051

Hello all,

We recently retired and are looking to spend half the year or so (WINTER) on the water down south.

Eau Claire WI set a record high 89 degrees Wednesday and another record high on Thursday last week and we have 6" of fresh snow on the ground today. Sigh...

Being we are located in central Wisconsin we will be mooring our rig on the Mississippi river and will be traveling the length of the river down into the Gulf of Mexico and on to the Caribbean and back each year... ish.

Couple general basic questions to start the discussion. Our experience is with fishing boats. Nothing large, no fixed props. Spent entire adult life on the Mississippi river between Minnesota and Wisconsin and inland lakes.

The Mississippi travels downstream at about 3mph and up to 7-8mph during flood stage. My initial concern was how much horsepower heading up stream during flood stage would be necessary to keep control of the boat if a engine would go down at an inopportune time.

We are looking at a 1999 64' Horizon Elegance with a pair of Caterpillar 3196 660hp. She has a 4'6" draft and comes in at 60,000lbs. I felt after looking at many that this was possibly under powered but this seems after impute to not be the case? I really like the thought of these size engines sipping diesel compared to others we are looking at. But would they be efficient or would they be worked more due to size? The only way I know to compare is math. I hope you guys know more. We are looking at four rigs seriously two domestic and two overseas.

1. 99 Horizon Elegance 64' 1320hp 30 ton 4'6" draft 16'3" beam 45lbs/hp

2. 99 FairlaneSquadron 62' 2100hp 36 ton 4'6" draft 16'4" beam 34lbs/hp

3. 00 Horizon Elegance 66' 2800hp 47 ton 5'3" draft 18' beam 34lbs/hp

4. 01 Maiora 20 68' 2700hp 66 ton 5'3" draft 18'4" beam 48lbs/hp

I am not interested in going fast at all but I must have boat control in heavy current.

Your thoughts on power needed?

How much river would I need to turn these rigs around?

How much river needed if one engine down in heavy current to turn?

I'll be the first to admit I am a prepper. Don't like surprises. Over think everything. Zero experience with these size rigs. Lots of experience operating every kind of heavy equipment.

Thank you in advance and look forward to your impute.

Corey

Welcome (again) Corey!

Above, you state "I am not interested in going fast at all but I must have boat control in heavy current. Your thoughts on power needed?"

What does it mean by this? Each of these boats will run pretty economically at around 9.5 kts (almost 11 mph). The big difference would be the the top end. The larger engines will get you will past 25 kts, perhaps 30 kts. Smaller engines would you out at maybe 20 kts. Difference in fuel burn between 20 kts and 30 kts would be great at pace, could easily see >4 gals/mile and your range would be pretty short. Plus larger engines are often much more expensive to service. If you're okay with the ongoing expense, great.

Fast planing boats have smaller rudders. Going slow with a significant current (>2.5 kts?) Would be a bit dicey. Solution is go faster of get a boat with bigger rudders which would be a slower boat.

I have zero local knowledge on the Mississippi but I do think it would be helpful to think through some of the general use case it's such as what I've started above.

Regards

Peter

When you say "fishing boats" and "nothing large". Do you mean like a 24' walk around like a Grady White? If yes, I think your biting off more than you can chew.

Have you looked into Insurance. Some Ins Co. on boats that big what you to have a Capt. Lic. Or to be trained by one and he signs off that you know how to handle her.

Smaller 21'. Biting off more than you can chew is an interesting statement, I've made a **** ton of money doing just that all my life. At my age I have no intention of stopping now! "And get the hell off my lawn" Nothing personal... just dating myself. ( :

Have not got to the insurance part yet.

A Captain with necessary certification to sign me off for insurance proposes and training on the onboard systems is a given. The length of time to accomplish this is to me unknown at this time but surely a required step in this journey.

Last edited:
Mid 30ft to lower 40ft range.
I suggest 2 state rooms if possible

Last edited:
Welcome (again) Corey!

Above, you state "I am not interested in going fast at all but I must have boat control in heavy current. Your thoughts on power needed?"

What does it mean by this? Each of these boats will run pretty economically at around 9.5 kts (almost 11 mph). The big difference would be the the top end. The larger engines will get you will past 25 kts, perhaps 30 kts. Smaller engines would you out at maybe 20 kts. Difference in fuel burn between 20 kts and 30 kts would be great at pace, could easily see >4 gals/mile and your range would be pretty short. Plus larger engines are often much more expensive to service. If you're okay with the ongoing expense, great.

Fast planing boats have smaller rudders. Going slow with a significant current (>2.5 kts?) Would be a bit dicey. Solution is go faster of get a boat with bigger rudders which would be a slower boat.

I have zero local knowledge on the Mississippi but I do think it would be helpful to think through some of the general use case it's such as what I've started above.

Regards

Peter

No need for 30 knots, my need is how much per lb to have control with one engine down in 7 knot head current. Not sure if I said that right. It's the river that is throwing me. Yep over thinking.
Never thought that the size of the rudder would factor into my purchase but your point gives me something to consider. I have extensive experience (in a fishing boat) how fast things can get weird in the current. The biggest rudder is the winner? I will certainly use this as one of the considerations for sure.

Mid 30ft to lower 40ft range.

40' to 50' is more than enough room and allot more desirable for sure. My issue is the vast majority of the time at sea we will be on the hook. Marinas do not trip my trigger what so ever. To go through all this expense and time and stress to get there and bounce around like a bobber does not interest me what so ever. And would be a deal killer for the Wolf.
I love the thought of the Maiora at 66 ton this has ocean range and is a chunk at anchor. The cost however of running/maintaining this craft is humbling. This is a 10 maybe 15 year adventure... maybe less. But I guess I do not plan taking any gold to the grave with me so... there's that.

Any of those combinations have enough power to maintain steerage and make a little progress against a 3 - 5 mph current.

For an example: My 36 foot Albin weighs about 20,000. It is powered by a single 120 F.L. diesel. It made it upriver on the Mississippi . It was slow going but it made course over bottom

pete

No need for 30 knots, my need is how much per lb to have control with one engine down in 7 knot head current. Not sure if I said that right. It's the river that is throwing me. Yep over thinking.
Never thought that the size of the rudder would factor into my purchase but your point gives me something to consider. I have extensive experience (in a fishing boat) how fast things can get weird in the current. The biggest rudder is the winner? I will certainly use this as one of the considerations for sure.
I want to suggest that if you do opt for the 64' Horizon Elegance in Stuart, FL,
(nice boat if it surveys well) take it north up the ICW. Then you can join the
loopers to get to the Mississippi. That would be an educational half-loop and
reduce much of the uphill work on the Mississippi River with some help and advice
along the way.

40' to 50' is more than enough room and allot more desirable for sure. My issue is the vast majority of the time at sea we will be on the hook. Marinas do not trip my trigger what so ever. To go through all this expense and time and stress to get there and bounce around like a bobber does not interest me what so ever. And would be a deal killer for the Wolf.
I love the thought of the Maiora at 66 ton this has ocean range and is a chunk at anchor. The cost however of running/maintaining this craft is humbling. This is a 10 maybe 15 year adventure... maybe less. But I guess I do not plan taking any gold to the grave with me so... there's that.

You are more likely to bounce like a bobber at anchor than you are in a marina, which may be helpful to know. 66 tons is a lot but not enough to keep it from bouncing in a rough anchorage.

Don’t underestimate the value of the recommendations for you to gain experience with a smaller boat or multiple charters. People here are just trying to help and it will shorten your path to happy boating, not lengthen it.

I have to ask, is the Wolf a person or pet?

S.S.M.

In late 2007 I did basically what you are contemplating, 25 years exper. @ 24' and then the jump to 57' at 75K lbs. Either I was a smooth talker or Lloyds of London and/or the broker, did not care as insurance at the time was a cinch. No claims before or after, still with Lloyds.
Don't think that would happen today.

Nothing wrong with a Captain to get you started as it builds your confidence as well as appeases the underwriter. You likely won't need much time until signed off.

With respect to your speed with one engine, with my 800 Hp Cats I can easily do about 14 Knots using just one side. It's not something that you would do regularly but is doable, for an hour or two. Don't overload it.

My rudders at about 4.5 Sq. ft. each give me all the rudder authority one would ever need but at manoeuvring speed in a marina the gears and bow thruster are all you need as you pilot with no hands on the wheel.

Underway you will find 2 operating speeds, about 9 knots and 19 knots. Anything above 12 knots to 19 knots is a waste of time as your GPM is about the same as 19 knots.
Particularly at low speeds (6 knots) where rudder movement is larger and required quicker, power steering (3 fingertip initiated turns lock to lock) is a godsend and I would not be without it.

Good luck with the chase, release the hounds!

The biggest boat I had before "the 44" was a Chris Craft 21 foot walk around cubby with a 150 HP Johnson on the transom.

Yeah, I needed help. Didn't even know how to start the engines when I bought it.

But with 20-30 hours of training I was confident enough to re-home her to Stockton from Alameda, about 85 miles and 8 hours. It was a good day!

Yeah, you will need training but that shouldn't be a problem - :)

Have fun!

You are more likely to bounce like a bobber at anchor than you are in a marina, which may be helpful to know. 66 tons is a lot but not enough to keep it from bouncing in a rough anchorage.

Don’t underestimate the value of the recommendations for you to gain experience with a smaller boat or multiple charters. People here are just trying to help and it will shorten your path to happy boating, not lengthen it.

I have to ask, is the Wolf a person or pet?

Understand there is no smooth ride at anchor but 66 ton seems like it will be more comfortable than 30 ton. Personally I don't want anything to do with Marina's as a destination.
I will not be taking any advice given lightly, it is the reason I am here. 66 ton is allot of boat a lighter boat in the river will be more responsive I would think. Thinking out loud. No decisions have been made. We are going to FL to look at the Horizon 64' but are still trying to coordinate seeing the Maiora 20 at the same time as it is close. I want to look at the two overseas as well one in Finland the other in Sweden before a decision is made. Not in a rush as only one purchase is going to be made.

The Wolf is the one who "must" be obeyed. I started stalking her when she was 13. Together 48 years, married 42, two boys. And she still likes me.

S.S.M.

In late 2007 I did basically what you are contemplating, 25 years exper. @ 24' and then the jump to 57' at 75K lbs. Either I was a smooth talker or Lloyds of London and/or the broker, did not care as insurance at the time was a cinch. No claims before or after, still with Lloyds.
Don't think that would happen today.

Nothing wrong with a Captain to get you started as it builds your confidence as well as appeases the underwriter. You likely won't need much time until signed off.

With respect to your speed with one engine, with my 800 Hp Cats I can easily do about 14 Knots using just one side. It's not something that you would do regularly but is doable, for an hour or two. Don't overload it.

My rudders at about 4.5 Sq. ft. each give me all the rudder authority one would ever need but at manoeuvring speed in a marina the gears and bow thruster are all you need as you pilot with no hands on the wheel.

Underway you will find 2 operating speeds, about 9 knots and 19 knots. Anything above 12 knots to 19 knots is a waste of time as your GPM is about the same as 19 knots.
Particularly at low speeds (6 knots) where rudder movement is larger and required quicker, power steering (3 fingertip initiated turns lock to lock) is a godsend and I would not be without it.

Good luck with the chase, release the hounds!

It seems the more I look into the more I am finding that in most cases these rigs are overpowered and one wing will still be sufficient in a pinch if necessary. Thank you for your advice soaking every word up like a sponge.

The biggest boat I had before "the 44" was a Chris Craft 21 foot walk around cubby with a 150 HP Johnson on the transom.

Yeah, I needed help. Didn't even know how to start the engines when I bought it.

But with 20-30 hours of training I was confident enough to re-home her to Stockton from Alameda, about 85 miles and 8 hours. It was a good day!

Have fun!

Looking forward to the journey. There is not a piece of equipment with an engine I cannot operate with a little training and allot of help.

......but are still trying to coordinate seeing the Maiora 20 at the same time as it is close. I want to look at the two overseas as well one in Finland the other in Sweden before a decision is made.

Buying a foreign-flagged boat poses some tax complications, but also practical issues, most notably disparate voltage/frequency of electrical systems. Especially for more luxury-styled yachts that have a extensive electrical system. Imagine trying to repair or replace a sick/dead 220v/50hz fridge/generator/toaster anywhere in the US or Caribbean. There are work-arounds but they are not easy and will be a constant source of befuddlement for future technicians.

Also, while you are in Florida, given your passion for anchor-out vs marinas, you may want to stop by one of the brokerages that specialize in long-range yachts such as Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen. I suggest this because these boats are designed from the keel-up to be off-grid comfortable. Larger storage areas, tool storage and workbench, dive comressors, better dinghy launch capabilities, stabilization, etc. As mentioned in an earlier post, in my opinion the Horizon build quality is above average, and many owners spend weeks/months on them in the Bahamas/Caribbean. But given your newness to the world of larger motoryachts, and you'll be in Forida looking, might make sense to step aboard other brands even if they are not exactly what you're looking for, just to get ideas on how they approach the needs of people seeking similar lifestyle.

Good luck - thanks for sharing.

Peter

Smaller 21'. Biting off more than you can chew is an interesting statement, I've made a **** ton of money doing just that all my life. At my age I have no intention of stopping now! "And get the hell off my lawn" Nothing personal... just dating myself. ( :

Have not got to the insurance part yet.

A Captain with necessary certification to sign me off for insurance proposes and training on the onboard systems is a given. The length of time to accomplish this is to me unknown at this time but surely a required step in this journey.

I am happy for you. I went from a I/O boats from 19 to 30 feet with 20 years under my belt. All were gas boats. Very similar to you're experience.

Now I buy a 40' trawler that is 3 times heaver of what I an use too. Going from gas to diesel. Very much alike, but with some major differences.

After 2 years with this boat I am still learning how to handle her and take care of her. Now with an Auto pilot, genset, shaft seal, just replaced the rudder seal, fuel filters that don't look like anything I had before. Hydraulic steering, learning how to add oil. You just don't pour it in. For me it was a totally different setup! Just going in reverse with an I/O or outboard handles so much differently than inboards.

If I stepped on you grass, its only with good intentions. A jump from a 21 footer to a 62 to 68 footer is a big jump.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Have fun!

When I bought mine I took two friends that were more experienced with bigger boats. I could start her, I just could not shut the engine off. They had to show me how :facepalm:

Looking forward to the journey. There is not a piece of equipment with an engine I cannot operate with a little training and allot of help.

While you are looking or waiting for it to be built, I suggest you look for an American Tug. Lots of models to choose from all the way up to a 49ft.

All ATs are scares on the east coast USA. Just take your time.

Even the used ATs are scarce ….

Maybe a trip out the the west coast, to the factory, and spend time with Kurt, would be in your favor. There are more ATs, on the west coasts.

It’s gotta be cheaper to ‘freight’ from the west coast than from overseas.
If you have nothing to do, bring the boat east, on its bottom.

The lower part of the Mississippi is very dangerous. There are no Marina's, no access to fuel or even tie up.

That on top of current at flood stage and you would be much advised to run the looper route, also prettier.

I have heard of a few boats making the trip, and we did once when locks were down. Incredible boat traffic. Like Indy 500 with push boats and tankers, and no place to hide.

Throw in pallets, trees, pilings, etc and no Sea Tow.

Understand there is no smooth ride at anchor but 66 ton seems like it will be more comfortable than 30 ton. Personally I don't want anything to do with Marina's as a destination.

Typically, you'd choose anchorages for the protection they offer (as well as sights and supplies and so forth). Of course weather can hose that up, or you may occasionally find yourself having to anchor in open roadsteads for some reason...

But for the most part I suspect a 60 ton boat won't bob more than a 40 ton boat... in a protected anchorage.

I think you could test this... at a dock. Board a target 64' boat, see what that feels like. Does the boat rock? Board some kind of 50' boat, see what that feels like. Does the boat rock? Compare.

I want to suggest that if you do opt for the 64' Horizon Elegance in Stuart, FL, (nice boat if it surveys well) take it north up the ICW. Then you can join the loopers to get to the Mississippi. That would be an educational half-loop and reduce much of the uphill work on the Mississippi River with some help and advice along the way.

Assuming the boat can make it under the bridges.

Sounds like the best plan to me, though... especially since the bridge thing can be solved while still in the "shopping" phase.

Distances might actually be about the same, too?

-Chris

Last edited:

Typically, you'd chose anchorages for the protection they offer (as well as sights and supplies and so forth). Of course weather can hose that up, or you may occasionally find yourself having to anchor in open roadsteads for some reason...

But for the most part I suspect a 60 ton boat won't bob more than a 30 ton boat... in a protected anchorage.

I want to suggest that if you do opt for the 64' Horizon Elegance in Stuart, FL, (nice boat if it surveys well) take it north up the ICW. Then you can join the loopers to get to the Mississippi. That would be an educational half-loop and reduce much of the uphill work on the Mississippi River with some help and advice along the way.

Assuming the boat can make it under the bridges.

Sounds like the best plan to me, though... especially since the bridge thing can be solved while still in the "shopping" phase.

Distances might actually be about the same, too? And maybe less boring: different things to see heading south versus returning north.

-Chris

I am happy for you. I went from a I/O boats from 19 to 30 feet with 20 years under my belt. All were gas boats. Very similar to you're experience.

Now I buy a 40' trawler that is 3 times heaver of what I an use too. Going from gas to diesel. Very much alike, but with some major differences.

After 2 years with this boat I am still learning how to handle her and take care of her. Now with an Auto pilot, genset, shaft seal, just replaced the rudder seal, fuel filters that don't look like anything I had before. Hydraulic steering, learning how to add oil. You just don't pour it in. For me it was a totally different setup! Just going in reverse with an I/O or outboard handles so much differently than inboards.

If I stepped on you grass, its only with good intentions. A jump from a 21 footer to a 62 to 68 footer is a big jump.

Good luck with it!

By all means step on my grass as your opinion considered and valued. It's why I am here. Off grid is our thing. Motorhome is all solar panels on top. Horizon does build a 54' Elegance but none for sale at the moment. At least in my price range. Not against other brands at all but really stuck on a fly bridge. And allot of wood. Big wood freak. 95% of the woodwork in my house is custom made in my shop. We are excited to get started. But as you know we have a loooong way to go. Do not deter from giving the advice to down size... I am listening.

Not against other brands at all but really stuck on a fly bridge. And allot of wood. Big wood freak. 95% of the woodwork in my house is custom made in my shop. We are excited to get started. But as you know we have a loooong way to go. Do not deter from giving the advice to down size... I am listening.

Ooooh...

In case it's a don't know what you don't know...

You will be servicing or repairing -- or occasionally upgrading -- something on your boat every day. Or you'll be researching how to repair or finding parts...

Every day.

OK, I exaggerate. Make it every other day, average.

Exterior wood will add lots (Lots, LOTS!) to your maintenance schedule.

-Chris

The lower part of the Mississippi is very dangerous. There are no Marina's, no access to fuel or even tie up.

That on top of current at flood stage and you would be much advised to run the looper route, also prettier.

I have heard of a few boats making the trip, and we did once when locks were down. Incredible boat traffic. Like Indy 500 with push boats and tankers, and no place to hide.

Throw in pallets, trees, pilings, etc and no Sea Tow.

Thanks, others have also mentioned the loop being a much nicer passage. I believe somebody mentioned 19'6" in Chicago ? Not sure what the air draft of these we are looking at come in at exactly but will have to consider when looking at. Home port must be the Mississippi river between central WI and MN.

Ooooh...

In case it's a don't know what you don't know...

You will be servicing or repairing -- or occasionally upgrading -- something on your boat every day. Or you'll be researching how to repair or finding parts...

Every day.

OK, I exaggerate. Make it every other day, average.

Exterior wood will add lots (Lots, LOTS!) to your maintenance schedule.

-Chris

Yep, everytime we take the motorhome out we add to the to do list. Everytime. My preference for wood is the interior more so than the exterior. Not interested in exterior up keep other than the occasional ceramic coating and bottom paint.

You sound like you are well prepared to learn the boat operation part of the equation. With some practice you will be able to make the boat do what you want.

Just know that by jumping straight into a bigger boat, you will have a steep learning curve on all the other things that are involved in happy cruising. Navigation, trip planning, managing/interacting with other boat traffic of all types, weather forecasting and interpretation, radio procedures, radar use and tuning, navigating currents, all take most of us some time to learn. Working up through smaller boats gives you a chance to learn a few systems at a time until you are comfortable putting it all together.

What if you check the weather one morning and the wind is forecast is to blow 20kts, swells 6-8 at 6 seconds. Do you go? What if the period is 15 seconds? What if it is blowing 30 but you are in protected water? How does that affect your decision? Lightning in forecast; go or no go? You may be a weather guru but you get the idea.

There is no reason you can't successfully do what you are suggesting, just keep gathering info and be open to adjust. For one example, I don't think you will find your proposed route up the Mississippi to be what you ultimately do. Keep researching and you can make a good decision, but I would encourage you to not weight that route too heavily in your boat decision. Also, while its is possible to make the run down south and back annually, almost 100% of those with that initial plan don't actual do it. It is a big trip and expensive in time and fuel and eats up quite a bit of your season.

I am cheering you on, but will encourage you to be open to adjustments in your plan. I will also say try to move slow and give yourself the best chance of choosing what boat will really serve you well, and not make a choice too early when you haven't fully tested your assumptions about future cruising plans.

I’m close to where you are, and I boated the Mississippi and St. Croix off and on for many years. We enjoyed many trips on the Mississippi mainly staying within 3 days of Prescott, Wisconsin.

If you want to be off the grid, and surrounded by natural beauty, there are some areas, but with a boat that large, tough for you to get to. We left the area as a boating area 3 years ago, mainly due to the crowds of boats and people. I don’t know you personally, but my guess is you would be miserable in that area unless you were just using it as a temporary port to figure things out. It is real busy, and with all the locks and nature of the river, it gets small real quick as far as destinations go.

Have you considered Lake Superior -
more specifically the Bayfield, Wisconsin area as a home port? Some of the most beautiful and peaceful cruising areas there are. It is known as “The Freshwater Caribbean”.

You would have room to roam, and it sounds like whatever boat you get would be up to the task. You can visit some real nice ports, but also head 10-15 miles out among the islands and see no one for days and days.

You would also gain more varied boating experiences, and have a lot more access to professional captains to help you out.

Explore the Bayfield, Wisconsin areas. Some of the best cruising you will find in freshwater.

Happy to chat more about any aspect of it all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom