Finally here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCTiger

Hi Folks,
After leaving the Navy on USS Wainwright CG-28 back in the 90's my goal was to stay on the water. Dreaming of a Norhavn steel hull, I planned my future. All stop. Got married. Got a real job after college (after separating from the Navy). Then kid. Kid just graduated HS going off to Georgia Tech. ( We are in Clemson, but kinda summer in Hilton Head SC)... bug is back, looking at retirement. Wife is into the boating dream as we love travel, seriously been everywhere in the world , by PLANE. We have had small boats, 25 ft cabin cruiser, Catalina 22 sail, 25 foot pontoon on various lakes in the Carolinas. Dutifully bought my Chapmans Bible (again) and going through it for the third time since 1985. Only thing wife wants is me to crew on someone else's boat to make sure it really is for me and what I want out of a prospective boat. (She ain't dumb). I am sure it has been discussed countless times, but since I am a NOOB.. I get to make my first mistake without too much "sit down NOOB" and ask ..... can anyone take me on a boat ride? I will pay for fuel and everything else.. just want to understand the daily stuff so I can prep a budget. Looking to leave from Southeast ( Wilmington NC down to Jacksonville FL .. ish. ) Charleston or Hilton Head would be awesome. Just looking for a familiarization cruise to see the work involved. I am interested in a Hatteras 42ish , possibly a LRC.. but don't want to bite off more than I can chew or crew. Eventual goal, is The Loop. ( I know, big dreams). Any advise, or offers of crew time on your vessel are welcome. Summer or early fall would be best. Thanks All! Mark Mogge Clemson SC

Welcome! What a great question and dream! I'm on the other coast but in addition to taking some rides with others, I would recommend (a) visit some boat shows and see what the "admiral" likes (and also what you like) and (b) after narrowing things down, charter a vessel for a week.

You can quickly learn the skills (which a charter company can help with) to pilot a trawler in the size you're considering. Maybe charter something like a Nordic Tug, Grand Banks, etc ... or whatever style you prefer after looking around. Hopefully the admiral will love it, but if not it's better to know now :)

BTW, on a minor point Nordhavn boats have fiberglass construction rather than steel (like almost all trawlers have fiberglass and for generally good reasons). But they are high-end, very thick hulls to be sure!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom