Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peasegrn

I'm looking at a 40 foot Marine Trader that has a complete set of electronic displays on the flybridge; Radar, GPS, Depth sounder, Auto helm, and Stern thruster joy stick... It has none of this at the lower helm but a remote for the Stern thruster and a control for the auto helm. If I put a new GPS unit at the lower helm and link it to the units above with a NMEA 2000 cable, will it display the radar and depth from the flybridge at the lower helm?

Last edited:
If you put a new MFD unit at the lower helm... and connect to existing... it might.

Presumably your "GPS" on the flying bridge is actually an MFD with GPS coordinates, depth, and radar displayed on it?

-Chris

NMEA2000 won't (can't) pass radar data. It'll pass GPS and depth, getting radar to another display requires a manufacturer specific connection.

Post what equipment is currently installed and we'll know more about what it can and can't do.

It has Standard Horizon chart plotter, Raymarine Radar, Garmin depth sounder, and SI-TEX auto helm displays.

Last edited:
The specific models matter at for this. It is very generational, both with respect to capability and compatibility. Would you happen to have the model numbers? If not, maybe post again once you can get a hold of that information?

Maybe even photos might do. One of us might recognize the model.

It has Standard Horizon chart plotter, Raymarine Radar, Garmin depth sounder, and SI-TEX auto helm displays.

It's makes it simpler if everything were the same brand.

I wouldn't bother looking at the electronics on an older boat. This is like buying a house for the appliances. Assume that you're going to replace everything anyway.

It's makes it simpler if everything were the same brand.

I wouldn't bother looking at the electronics on an older boat. This is like buying a house for the appliances. Assume that you're going to replace everything anyway.

Okay! This has been informative. I think the system was installed piecemeal over some unknown period of time. So, yes the generational issue is one factor. I think what I'll do is use it as-is to get the boat from where it is to my homeport of Rockland, ME. I have an old friend there who writes on the subject of marine electronics who will look at it and advise me. There is a marine electronics specialty firm that can also be a valuable resource.

Thanks everyone.

Using it as-is for the trip home is a good idea. It'll give you some idea of what you've got to work with, what you'd like to change, etc. that can drive your future choices.

When we bought our current boat in Virginia, I went out and spent a couple of weeks preparing for the 1400 mile trip home. One of the things I did was put in a new suite of Raymarine electronics. It made the trip home much easier and much more enjoyable. But if youe electronics are serviceable then use them for the trip and when you get the boat home replace the electronics. I would certainly recommend using one brand when you replace them. It will make the install much easier and down the road when you have a problem you only have one vendor to go to. If you have multiple vendors they will point fingers at the other vendor and say the problem is theirs.

You might get depth with the nmea but not radar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom