Duracell 8D Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Approach

Veteran Member
Looking for some feedback on the Duracell 8D batteries. I need three new for the house bank. Battery Plus has them for ~$330 ea.

Thanks

J

8d batteries are not all made the same. In fact they vary so wildly I would not recommend them unless you knew exactly what the specs are. You are far better off using golf cart 6v batteries, putting them in series to make 12v. They are more robust, will provide more amp hours and are easier to Handel.

If your battery boxes are like mine you will only be able to get 3 six volt batteries in each 8D box. These configurations might help

Attachments

• Two-Optional-6V-Battery-Configurations-fd1660b399490f80ad96c3b02ec1f80e.jpg
    Two-Optional-6V-Battery-Configurations-fd1660b399490f80ad96c3b02ec1f80e.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 35
This is a follow-up from another post by OP. Recently purchased boat with end of life 8Ds. He does not plan on cruising the boat but rather just keep it alive at dock. Health issues mean he will only own the boat for a few years. He is looking for a simple and economical solution.

I and others conceded simply replacing the 8Ds might make sense here, a rare instance where keeping the 8Ds might make sense. Like for like swap avoids changes to cabling and boxes. These batteries carry a $70 core charge so the cost is a bit less than OP states.

Bottom line, OP is looking for the most economical 8D solution. BatteryPlus has Duracell. Maybe there are others. I think he is seeking feedback specific to 8Ds.

Peter

If you have to physically to change your 8D batteries, you will learn to hate 8D batteries.

This is a follow-up from another post by OP. Recently purchased boat with end of life 8Ds. He does not plan on cruising the boat but rather just keep it alive at dock. Health issues mean he will only own the boat for a few years. He is looking for a simple and economical solution.

I and others conceded simply replacing the 8Ds might make sense here, a rare instance where keeping the 8Ds might make sense. Like for like swap avoids changes to cabling and boxes. These batteries carry a $70 core charge so the cost is a bit less than OP states.

Bottom line, OP is looking for the most economical 8D solution. BatteryPlus has Duracell. Maybe there are others. I think he is seeking feedback specific to 8Ds.

Peter

If he is not leaving dock power then it doesn’t matter if he has good batteries or junk ones. In that case the cheapest ones are the best ones. On the other hand one group 31 will be enough and it won’t affect his wiring.

Back
Top Bottom