Does anyone have Victron Cerbo GX sharing data with their Garmin plotter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
I am setting up the Victron system on the bench with the new Epoch Batteries with Victron comms. I am not trying the get all that data on the Garmin 923XSV units. I have the pertinent data coming through on NMEA2K and its mildly usable (no AC data and cant seem to rename the displayed items). I can not get the Ethernet connections to come up on the Garmin. This connection is supposed to be the simplest plug and play that shows up as an app as soon as the cables are connected.

Some inquiries on Garmin and Victron groups stated I would need a PoE isolation coupler to eliminate power from I suppose the Garmin side. I have that ordered but I have my doubts it is actually needed. I have studies both the Garmin and extensive Victron manuals but it still hasnt helped

Anyone have this running?

The N2K data that I can get is probably sufficient but I want to see what the Ethernet data holds. If it displays AC data I may use that.

Attachments

• Garmin victron.jpg
    Garmin victron.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 87
I did look at this at one stage but ended up just using the VRM Online portal instead (displayed on a iPad). For your approach, note that you do need to use an actual Garmin network cable (not a normal ethernet cable) for the connection. No idea why but documented online here https://www.victronenergy.com/media...tml#UUID-1cf0fd18-cd34-92e7-6f08-cfec8fad0eca

Thanks Robert. I did try the Garmin network cable. I also have the VRM portal as well as the MK3 interface for the laptop. Seems each type of access has different capabilities. And of course I have the 5 inch touch screen.
I am sure there is a button I need to toggle. I love the Victron stuff but many of the resources are actually dated. Some links are no longer available.

Ill keep at it.

I'm assuming you did the enable both*MQTT on*LAN*(SSL)*and*MQTT on*LAN*(Plaintext) settings on the GX device?

I'm assuming you did the enable both*MQTT on*LAN*(SSL)*and*MQTT on*LAN*(Plaintext) settings on the GX device?

I did. Got that far on Friday...lol. Also made evrrything "visable". The fact that I keep discovering new tidbits and details leads me to believe I am still missing something. So keep the questions coming.

Did you ever get yours to display over ethernet?

No. My GX device is about 10 meters from the MFD and stopped when I didnt have a cable that long. I also ended up turning off the NMEA data broadcast because it just caused to much data clutter on the network. I have the GX, 2 multiplus inverters, 3 mppt controllers and 2 smart shunts that were all broadcasting stuff every second that I might actually look at once a day. Just decided the VRM potal was fine and less trouble.

No. My GX device is about 10 meters from the MFD and stopped when I didnt have a cable that long. I also ended up turning off the NMEA data broadcast because it just caused to much data clutter on the network. I have the GX, 2 multiplus inverters, 3 mppt controllers and 2 smart shunts that were all broadcasting stuff every second that I might actually look at once a day. Just decided the VRM potal was fine and less trouble.

Understood, and its likely I will just end up usi g the Cerbo touch screen. I am mainly just exploring options. So far these additional "options" are not very practical and are quite difficult.

I have just realized a third option that may well work very good and cheap to implement. I will test when I get home and report.

Just a follow up on this. It turns out when I put the 923xsv back on the boat in the upper helm position it would not be recognized by the device list and network. It was the Garmin ethernet port all along. Called Garmin for troubleshooting and a very pleasant and helpful tech ran through a few things. It was determined satisfactorily that the ethernet port was dead.

He checked warranty and I was 5 days out of warranty. He checked with a supervisor and they are warranting the unit out and I should have the replacement Tuesday.

You need to find the correct sources

I have the garmin hooked up to the network with no issues. 8600 series
you must make sure you are not running power into the back of the garmin (POE) or things will get screwy. That is what the poe blocker is or the special cable. If you are making the cable just don't connect the power lines ( blue and blue white center 2 pins ) label the cable. If you try to use somewhere else it wont work. And it will dive you nuts.

Make sure you upgrade the firmware on the cerbo gx. I was not getting all my info and when I did a firmware upload a lot of my Maretron issues / visibility went away. Specifically seeing there modules. (like tm100 sim100, etc)

From what I see in the photo, looks like you are working and getting some data . On the garmin, go into the setup screens and you need to choose the sources for you gauges not working. Its not fully plug and play. A lot of the pre done screens on mine were missing data. I just had to find the correct sources.

Go to :Settings, edit screen, click on guage, choose source or change data, Select the source from the list. Some times the data is not where you think it should be. Sometimes change the guage and you get different source list.

I was just building some new screens over the weekend myself. Sometimes there are multiple ways to get similar information. I was working on a fuel burn screen. I found that milage can come from Gps since new, from trip totalizer since re set, from current trip ( auto resets) The garmin on mine had port and starboard engine sources whit no hour data. The hours for them are on Engine 1 and engine 2. But all show up. I think these are differences in the garmin default info and how the network info is sent or labeled by the specific device.

Thanks Greg. I have some info from the NMEA2k cable. But the Victron App would never show up on the Garmin. I had been through the troubleshooting a dozen times and still nothing. I suspected a Garmin ethernet port issue.

It wasn't until I brought this particular unit, which is the plotter for the upper helm, back to the boat and plugged it into the system via network cable did I confirm the Garmin ethernet port was in fact dead.

I took the unit back home so I could call Garmin and while on the phone with Garmin I realized I had my Radar still in the box. I pulled it out and hooked it all up and again Garmin did not recognize the radar. That was good enough for Garmin to warranty the issue. Should be here tomorrow.

Got the replacement 923XSV today. Used a Victron cable from the Cerbo gx ethernet port to the Garmin network port. About 1 minute later the Victron icon showed up and everything was seamless. No special cables no POE blocker. Just plug and play.

Attachments

• 20231219_181045.jpg
    20231219_181045.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20231219_181052.jpg
    20231219_181052.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
On my Raymarine Axiom, I just used a Ethernet 6 cable without any issues.

If you got your Victron Cerbo GX connected to NMEA 2000, you can actually do wonders on it. I'd highly recommend putting the Large Venus OS image on it and running Signal K. That will allow you to do mappings between different NMEA readings and push them back to NMEA 2000 for Garmin to process. It is explained in detail in this article: https://svrenaissance.com/victron-cerbo-gx-on-steroids/

Also if you get this running, definitely check out Saillogger, it runs as an add-on on Victron Cerbo GX, pulls data from your NMEA 2000 and automates everything for your boat from log creation to monitoring and capturing stats (disclaimer: I am the developer of Saillogger). You can see a demo at: https://saillogger.com/demo

Back
Top Bottom