Display of CHS Tidal Information on Coastal Explorer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I have discovered that the CHS Tidal information is unavailable on the Coastal Explorer charts. On the Coastal Explorer forum at Rosepoint, I posted:

"I noticed today that the tide charts are not displaying properly when you click on a station. This seems to be a recent problem. I suspect there will need to be some sort of CE update from Rosepoint to rectify this issue."

and:
"I get a straight line on the graph. For example, Whaler Bay. Also there are no data for these observations. It doesn’t mater if I am in Raster or Vector mode. I have a current subscription plan for the Vector Charts for CHS BC. The problem seems to be for British Columbia only. The Washington State stations seem to be fine."

Rosepoint replied:

"Unfortunately, CHS has been unable to deliver BC tides and currents to us for 2023. We are in contact with them about this problem and are hoping they are able to deliver them soon. Once they are available, you’ll be able to perform a normal “Sync Now” to get them."

I think I will contact CHS with a CC to Rosepoint and see if that lights a fire under them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-22 182033.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-22 182033.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 43
Interestingly enough, the current charts work though...

I'll send an email as well. Thanks for the heads up. Haven't used CE yet this year...

Attachments

• egmont.jpg
    egmont.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Yes, I think we need to rattle CHS as well as Rosepoint. I think CHS has been screwing around with their web pdf downloads and I can no longer get these the the historical table format. They began doing last year and I wonder if this problem is related.

Yes some currents are there, but some of these may be sourced from NOAA as there was current duplication at Active Pass and one current was NOAA.

Jim

This is what I have sent to CHS. Note I identify two issues. The second one pertains to the CE problem.:

Dear Kathryn: Please note there are two requests.

1) I talked to you last year (July 2022) about accessing the tidal information for the secondary stations last year. Sometime after January last year, the access to the tide table generators that created this information was removed from the CHS Webpages. In my opinion, this is a serious step backwards.

I ask that you look at the two attached files that show how I put together this information. I produce my own tide books that contain much more information on the secondary station in BC. As I travel the entire BC coast, I find these table invaluable, as they are the Gold Standard in predictions, and they serve as a check on the electronic tide tables that are embedded in the charting software provided by Third Party providers.

2) In addition, I use the Coastal Explorer Software developed by Rosepoint Software. I have recently found that the tide tables embedded on the CHS charts are not functional. This is a serious problem! I have contacted their support and I was told the problem is with CHS, that they have not provided the data in the required format: “Unfortunately, CHS has been unable to deliver BC tides and currents to us for 2023. We are in contact with them about this problem and are hoping they are able to deliver them soon. Once they are available, you’ll be able to perform a normal “Sync Now” to get them." Given we are already 2 months into 2023 and do not have tidal information, this is unacceptable and requires immediate attention, if indeed CHS is responsible for this oversite.

Sincerely,

Jim Cave

This is what I have sent to CHS. Note I identify two issues. The second one pertains to the CE problem.:

Dear Kathryn: Please note there are two requests.

1)I talked to you last year (July 2022) about accessing the tidal information for the secondary stations last year. Sometime after January last year, the access to the tide table generators that created this information was removed from the CHS Webpages. In my opinion, this is a serious step backwards.

I ask that you look at the two attached files that show how I put together this information. I produce my own tide books that contain much more information on the secondary station in BC. As I travel the entire BC coast, I find these table invaluable, as they are the Gold Standard in predictions, and they serve as a check on the electronic tide tables that are embedded in the charting software provided by Third Party providers.

2)In addition, I use the Coastal Explorer Software developed by Rosepoint Software. I have recently found that the tide tables embedded on the CHS charts are not functional. This is a serious problem! I have contacted their support and I was told the problem is with CHS, that they have not provided the data in the required format: “Unfortunately, CHS has been unable to deliver BC tides and currents to us for 2023. We are in contact with them about this problem and are hoping they are able to deliver them soon. Once they are available, you’ll be able to perform a normal “Sync Now” to get them." Given we are already 2 months into 2023 and do not have tidal information, this is unacceptable and requires immediate attention, if indeed CHS is responsible for this oversite.

Sincerely,

Jim Cave

Go, Jim. In Canada such an inquiry might actually cause something to happen. In the US it would be a letter into the great Black Hole.

Thanks TT. I received a response to the effect that they were sending it on to the correct person. The person I talked to last time is no longer in the position. I will provide an update when I learn more.

I’m not letting go on this one! CHS has a an obligation on this, and if I don’t get any action on it I will be raising it up to Transport Canada.

Jim

Still no update. I have sent a reminder to CHS and asked Rosepoint if there is any news. The tide tables remain disabled.

Jim

Still no update. I have sent a reminder to CHS and asked Rosepoint if there is any news. The tide tables remain disabled.

Jim

I can now report the CHS Tide and Current stations are now displayed Coastal Explorer for all stations, including the secondary stations. I just downloaded the Coastal Explorer update and the problem was rectified.

I have yet to hear back from CHS. I identified the contact information for the fellow who replied to my email. He's out of Ottawa. A phone call was clearling bouncing around and it did not go to voice mail before it was cut off. The problem with downloading Annual PDF's of the secondary stations. Not sure when that will be corrected.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom