Dinghy/RIB Cover - what do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
My new AB 10 aluminum-hull RIB was just installed on boatdeck. Seeking suggestions on covering that does not allow rain water to pool but isn't a PITA to use - I can imagine a tent-like gizmo supported by the crane. Or a Conestoga Wagon cover with tent poles. Sounds pretty complicated. Can also imagine just a simple cover with grommets that allow the water to drain down into hulll and out the transom scupper. Maybe just use chaps to protect the tubes; perhaps a 'shower cap' on the outboard?

As always, thanks for the input. Always helpful....

Peter

Dink.jpg

I use a specific dinghy cover with elastic straps and a tent pole. Covers all including engine. No water pooling. Dinghy is stored on aft fly bridge. Don’t recall where I purchased, but sure you can search on line.

West marine cover with a narrow diameter PVC pipe bowed stem to stern. All secured with shock cords down to mounts.

I made a simple skeleton frame using 1" schedule 40 pipe. I glued the ends of the frame but left the longitudinal and center connectors unglued so the whole thing breaks down easily and stores without taking up too much space. I made an A frame at one end, a T at the other, and in the middle used a T down to the seat of the dinghy to support the middle.

My cover is handmade from Sunbrella. With shockcord sewn into a pocket along each side I can tension it up so that there are no sags and consequently it does not get bogged down with water/ice.

IMG_5527.jpg
IMG_5528.jpg
IMG_5531.jpg

The only complicated part was making the cover and figuring out how to shape/cut it. I wound up sewing two lengths of sunbrella together with the seam running longitudinally along the dinghy. I placed it over the dinghy then weighted down the sides so I could estimate where to make my cuts along the sides, allowing enough material for a pocket for the shock cord. I needed a grommet for my fixed-in-place VHF antenna and some fairly light shockcord (the 5/16th cord I use for dinghy stern anchor rode proving too inflexible).

~A.

Last edited:
I regularly see a cover that has an attachment point in the highest part of the centreline, where a line goes up to the aft edge of the bimini, at 45°. Also keeps the seagulls off.

Sounds like you can run a line down from the crane to the center of the cover? If yes, you could run a line through a 4 foot section of 1/2" PVC, then tie each end of the line to a "shark clip" which is linked below. Attach each shark clip to the cover in the desired spot, they hold really well wherever you put them. Then clip your crane line to the center of the PVC "bow" and crank it up until the cover comes tight.

This is pretty much what I do, except I tie the line from the center of the PVC bow to the stanchion on the aft edge of the FB deck which is above my tender on the transom. Crane would work just as well, if not better. It's a simple solution that takes only a few minutes to put together. It's a lot less parts than a PVC frame.

The advantage of the clips over grommets is that you can put the cover on the tender then attach the clips exactly where you want them, that way the cover doesn't have to be in the same spot every time you put it on. They are also durable and cheap. I get years out of a clip even in the Florida sun 24/7.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-907040-Shark-Camping-Extension/dp/B0066K529W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SAQ495B11HIG&keywords=shark+tarp+clips&qid=1671420486&sprefix=shark+tarp%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-5

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom