Diesel fuel in container which had gasoline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuncicky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Betty L
Vessel Make
1973 Gulfstar
I was asked this question today by a friend. I told him that I didn't know the answer, but was on a Forum which without a doubt had members who would know the answer. I know this is not technically a trawler question, but the information might be useful to trawler members anyway.

He wants to pick up 5 gallons of off-road diesel at a filling station to go in his tractor. Not a regular thing, and he doesn't want to lay out money for a yellow container. So he asked me if it would be OK to just use a red container which previously had gasoline in it, provided that all of the gasoline is dumped out, and then he was going to use an air hose to blow out any remaining vapors.

I'm a little leery of it myself. What do you guys think? I don't much think anything would blow up, but would it harm his diesel engine?

Bill

If the container was empty before adding diesel, any trace gasoline in there wouldn't be enough to hurt an engine. My biggest concern would be around applying the same cautions as when working with gas until it's been filled with diesel and all gas vapors displaced. And then not confusing gas vs diesel due to having a red container full of diesel.

There is always a small fraction of gasoline components in pump diesel, much less than would be left in a gasoline container. That is the nature of how diesel is produced in a refinery. Don't worry about it.

David

Red containers are all I have and all I have ever used to carry off road diesel when I buy it at the roadside station. A little gasoline wont hurt the the diesel. The lubricity being reduced is the biggest issue if diesel is diluted with too much gasoline. You wont notice any difference in performance. Ounce for ounce, diesel has more BTU's than gas.

I use red and yellow for the tractor. I just mark the red ones with block letters "DIESEL" with a sharpie. Never had a mistake yet. Attention to detail just like at the pumps. Every year I hear about someone who accidentally pumps the wrong fuel. I sure wouldn't go out and buy extra cans if I had the red ones. That is why I use them. Before we had the big whole house generator I had a bunch of red cans for the gas generator and hurricanes. Now 2 of them are for the tractor. Don

Just do it.
It will be fine.

its not gonna hurt a thing I have carried gas and diesel in the same transfer tanks and gas cans for years no problems. In fact when our bulk tanker truck comes and fills our tanks at work the driver uses the same hose. He knows that his hose holds aprox 20 gallons of fuel so when he is filling and switches over he pumps another 20 gallons into tank. also the only difference in off road and highway diesel is red dye and road tax

IN the past when winter diesel was hard to find it was common to add 10% gasoline to the diesel.

Did no harm, so I am sure the few drops left in a gas container will be harmless.

Unless your friend has a hi-performance Ferrari, I wouldn't even be too concerned about drying out the jug between gas and diesel. These are both hydrocarbons that will mix easily and dilute.

Trace amounts of gasoline in the fuel jug will not be a problem.

OK, thanks guys. I feel comfortable now, after all that good advice, in telling my friend that it is OK. Don't know whether or not you all realize it, but there is an unusual wealth of knowledge available at this website. I don't think that it would be exaggerating to say that it is more than most forums have. It couldn't be because people who buy boats are smarter than the average bear. Some people would say the reverse is true. :)

Bill

Diesel and gasoline

Don't worry about a little gas it won't hurt anything. Truckers still dump a gallon or two in saddle tanks for winter. I personally have run up to 20% gas in diesel engines. You will lose horse power because gas has less BTUs than diesel.

Now I am really worried. :nonono:
I used yellow diesel containers for bilge water and then got diesel for the boat.

provided that all of the gasoline is dumped out, and then he was going to use an air hose to blow out any remaining vapors.

I'm a little leery of it myself.

I'd have no concerns about using the gas container for diesel.

However, cleaning said plastic container with compressed air is a death wish. Static can easily build up from the escaping air, igniting the gas vapours. Tell him just to pour out the gas then refill with diesel.

Cheers

However, cleaning said plastic container with compressed air is a death wish. Static can easily build up from the escaping air, igniting the gas vapours. Tell him just to pour out the gas then refill with diesel.

Cheers

Yes, static electricity could set it off. When I was in the Navy we had to purge the aircraft fuel tanks before the mechanics could work on them. It took several days of blowing air into the tanks before they could work on them. However there were very strict grounding procedures in place to prevent static electricity from blowing up the planes.

Before I could find a yellow container I used my gas containers, just made sure all the gas was drained and let it air for a day. I did put yellow duct tape on the container so nothing would get confused. I do have a diesel container now but if I need 10 gals there is a yellow container and a red container with yellow tape heading to the lake.

Cheers

Got it. Thanks.
Bill

Not sure of other places, but NJ which still has manned gas pumps makes a big deal out of the container color.

I pulled up to the self service island one time where there is no gas, just kero, diesel and off road diesel. The pump attendant yelled across the parking lot when I took both my red and yellow container out. Said don't even think about it...I think they call the fire marshal there if you use the wrong container.

Certainly see where most states don't care....but wouldn't be surprised if federal DOT has something to say about transport like the little propane bottle refilling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom