Davit Crane Cover & Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Bob B

Vessel Name
Way To Go
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48AE
Have ES1000 Steelhead powered crane for 110 Whaler with 25hp Mercury on KK48 delivered in 2011. The Dyneema line was professionally replaced last in 2017. Time to do again. Thinking of doing this “in house”. Thoughts?
In 2017 standpipe to upper deck sheared off at the AL casting flange on the back deck which went into the ID of the standpipe. The base of this casting was bolted through the back deck into the Lazarette. The remnants of this casting remain in the Standpipe. The standpipe was secured to the deck by fabricating two sets of aluminum split rings 1” thick. The bottom ring had an ID on which the OD of the Standpipe rests. The top ring has an ID to secure the Standpipe OD in place. Been working great. Have to thank a former Krogen owner who came up with this fix and fabricated the split rings.
I believe that this casting failed because of a deterioration of the casting - probably through corrosion caused by moisture intrusion over time. Not sure how this moisture got into standpipe other than condensation.
My Question: is it a common practice to cover the hydraulic Davit (boom and pedestal) with a waterproof fabric such as “Sunbrella” to protect it from the elements? I rarely see such a covering. Thanks Bob Baiz KK 48 “Way To Go”.

Welcome aboard. It might help if you were to include some photos of the area in question.

Back
Top Bottom