CHB Trawler Door catch/Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yebogogo

Last summer we were heading home with a 20/25knt wind.
Boat was handling well until the starboard door came off its rail and was hanging over the side. luckily didn't loose it.
I manged to put on the door on the deck until we docked and put it back on the rail. No damage.
I have on the inside of the doors locking pins but nothing on the outside.
My question is does anybody have ideas on a good system lock that will work from inside and outside of the sliding doors ?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I'm a bit unsure of exactly what the problem is but any sliding doors I've seen on Taiwanese trawlers sit in a pocket with rollers on the bottom. IF the rollers or track, on the bottom, are worn the door might fall out from the top. Is this the case?

Edit: The ONLY need for any locking mechanism or "pins" would be to keep the door from sliding open and closed.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. We had a sliding door on a previous trawler. It didn’t have a lock on it. I drilled a hole through the door frame and the door. Then we put a long pin into the hole to secure the door from the inside. On the outside I put a hasp over the hole so you couldn’t get to the pin and push it into the boat and open the door if you couldn’t open the padlock. It was simple and effective.

Greetings,
Mr. Y. Doors should NOT simply or easily fall off. It should require some effort to remove them. Quite a bit more more than a 20/25 knot wind. It sounds to me that you have, as I said, a failure of either the lower track or lower rollers/slider mechanism allowing the door to fall out of the top track when partially open. You should be able to cruise along without the need for band-aid pins or locks to keep the door in its frame.

Back
Top Bottom