• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Charity Of Nurses Seeking A 32-36' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NurseLinda

Vessel Make
1981 Californian 34' LRC
Hi Forum,

We are a nonprofit 501(c)3 charity of nurses, looking for 32' to 36' trawler that has been well cared for and maintained. Our charity is offering 50-60k for a trawler to take out our medically fragile or terminally ill foster care population.

Thank You in advance for reading this post. :angel:

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. What state are you in?

Hi Max1, we are in Southern California.

Hi Max1, we are in Southern California.

Thanks!
All the best. This sounds like a great cause and I know that taking patients out on a boat like this will really boost their spirits. Good luck.

I would like to suggest that you might be better served to find boat owners who would be willing to take your guests out. Owning a boat is very expensive and labor intensive. I am in SoCal and assuming this is a legit charity would be willing to do this from time to time. Many boat owners volunteer their time and boats for these type of charitable missions. Feel free to send me a private message.

Hi Linda - I beleive you were the same person asking about a Willard 36. I think a sedan-style boat, perhaps a traditional trunk-cabin boat, might work well for your intended usage to allow several people aboard to roam and experience the open water. Other boats I can think of in that category (though not necessary in that price range) are some of the following

• Monk 36 (trunk cabin)
  • Defever 40 (trunk cabin)
  • Mainship 350 (over-budget)
  • PT 38 (Sedan - Europa)
  • Californian 34 (Sedan)
  • Grand Banks 32 (sedan)
  • Grand Banks 36 Europa (Sedan, fairly rare and over-budget).

Maybe the Bigger Brain of TF can make some other suggestions.

Peter

Hi Forum,
Post Clarity:
We are a nonprofit 501(c)3 charity of nurses, Angels In Waiting USA . org founder "me" is looking for 32' to 36' trawler that has been well cared for and maintained.

I have 50-60k for a trawler to take out AIW's medically fragile or terminally ill foster care population.

To learn more, please click on the first video on our homepage, to have a deeper understanding of who we are- and what we do.

As Ready commented: Our insurance coverage, to have Good Samaritans/ boat owner offer their boats to take out our medically fragile foster care population, will not be cost effective for AIW. We will need to have additional insurance, became a rider as additionally insured via the boat owner insurance, plus boat owners will need to be license captains in good standing. The requirements will become a logistical nightmare for us to do the due diligence and maintain the required paperwork.

To get around the Red Tape... Our insurance agent recommended purchasing the boat and having our nurses and their medically fragile kids come aboard as friends/comrades after signing a Release of Liability form.

Thank You, in advance for reading this post, posting any insight, and information.

With Deep Respect,
Linda

Last edited:
Hi Linda.... What if you could find a boat owner who has a "6 pack license" (licensed to carry up to 6 Paying passengers) who you could hire take you and your medically fragile kids out for a nominal fee or even waive the fee as a charitable deduction depending on your needs, length of each cruise and possible impact on his insurance that "fragile" passengers might present). He'd already have the insurance, your cost to hire him would be a LOT lower than maintaining your own boat.

I'm not thinking of just hiring a new captain each time, but someone you could "contract" with for a finite number of cruises.

Just an idea...may or may not be a good one.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Interesting. What state are you in?

Hi Linda.... What if you could find a boat owner who has a "6 pack license" (licensed to carry up to 6 Paying passengers) who you could hire take you and your medically fragile kids out for a nominal fee or even waive the fee as a charitable deduction depending on your needs, length of each cruise and possible impact on his insurance that "fragile" passengers might present). He'd already have the insurance, your cost to hire him would be a LOT lower than maintaining your own boat.

I'm not thinking of just hiring a new captain each time, but someone you could "contract" with for a finite number of cruises.

Just an idea...

--Peggie
Thank You Peggie!!!
How do I go about finding a "6 pack license owner"? Great Idea!

Be patient Linda. Your post will pick up some steam in a day or two.
Personally, as the widow of an ER Nurse I know how hard you work with little to no recognition. I'm going to visit your site.
Bless you and good luck

Chas

With more retrospect, and being a fresh water boat owner for 30+ years. I would prefer to bite the proverbial "money pit" and buy my own Trawler.

Seeing the joyful faces of these precious innocent souls experiencing the magical wonders of the ocean -would truly be priceless! As well as, provide me a good reason to take 'Angel of the Sea" or "Sea Angel" out for a cruise.

Linda,
If you determine buying a boat is your best solution perhaps buy the boat in an LLC.

While that can provide some protection my life experience has shown that someone who really wants to sue will find a way to do that. If you have adequate insurance that will cover your defense that is about the best you can do. I can tell you based upon personal experience that even a waiver will not prevent one from being involved in litigation. Hopefully if liability is in your policy the insurance company will step in with the objective to settle for an amount that is less than the cost to take it to trial, even if they are confident they will win.

I don't know how well many marine policies would cover liabilities in your situation. Will be interested to follow your journey. Best of luck!

With more retrospect, and being a fresh water boat owner for 30+ years. I would prefer to bite the proverbial "money pit" and buy my own Trawler.

Seeing the joyful faces of these precious innocent souls experiencing the magical wonders of the ocean -would truly be priceless! As well as, provide me a good reason to take 'Angel of the Sea" or "Sea Angel" out for a cruise.

Unless you have a USCG captain's license, you might have to hire one for taking "passengers". Not sure what "patients" would fall under as if they are not paying for the voyage, and not forced to go...they might just be "guests". Though ,might be as simple as having "attendants" which you may already be planning for.

Best to check with the nearest USCG Sector office to where you will operate out of..

Aside from that....make dang sure an insurance company will insure you for your plans.... non-able bodied passengers on a boat are a huge liability (I know... sounds bad on so many levels) and it may be a hard fight to line the ducks up for operating.

Last edited:
Unless you have a USCG captain's license, you might have to hire one for taking "passengers". Not sure what "patients" would fall under as if they are not paying for the voyage, and not forced to go...they might just be "guests". Though ,might be as simple as having "attendants" which you may already be planning for.

Best to check with the nearest USCG Sector office to where you will operate out of..

Aside from that....make dang sure an insurance company will insure you for your plans.... non-able bodied passengers on a boat are a huge liability (I know... sounds bad on so many levels) and it may be a hard fight to line the ducks up for operating.

PSNeeld - question for you: I know of a few people without any USCG license who have offered a day on their boat for charity auctions. I'm guessing that even though no money traded hands, it's remuneration and technically a violation - thoughts?

NurseLinda - good advice here on some of the barreirs you'll need to hurdle, but it sounds like you've made a life of successfully difficult barriers (I watched the YouTube segment you posted
).

Here are a few boats that fit the question in your original post.

1981 Californian 34 in San Diego $60k (there are others in SoCal) HERE

Not in SoCal but they occastionally come up in SoCal - Roughwater 37 (ignore the 36). PNW example HERE.

Mainship 34 - this one seems pretty cheap so condition may be questionable, but good idea of layout. HERE.

Bayliner 32xx have a really interesting layout. Resale should be reasonable assuming condition is kept-up. HERE

Hope this helps direct your search - great cause!

Peter

I personally would ask the local USCG Sector Office (whatever they now call the old Marine Safety Office department)

I asked 20 years ago several times and people about what constituted paying passengers with respect to delivery captain with owner and family/friends/etc on board. I got opinions that I agreed with but never got an "official read".

I would get something in writing before I took "charity" people out. A bit more complex and as I said...it's a shame it comes to "rules" and insurance" and liability issues.... as it is not my style or choice.... but that seems to be where we are in this world.

As much as my gut (usually aligned with USCG rules) says they are not "paying passengers" the same principle holds that individually the have no knowledge of the captain or boat. Unless it's NurseLinda's and she operates it and they know her and trust her. If not, they might fall into the same issue as paying passengers expecting a safe ride as just walk ons.

I personally don't think that boat ownership is ideal for your group. I understand that you would like to own a boat and probably make it handicap accesable but boat ownership is a 24/7 proposition. It just doesn't seem like an ideal fit.

Boat borrowing on the other hand might make sense, particularly if you could offer the owner a tax deduction. Either way, you would have to become a tax exempt non profit group.

Good Luck.

pete

Buying a boat is going to require a bunch of money, initially and over time, and it will require time to keep the boat in good condition.

In the marina we use, there are a bunch of boats taking people out to go fishing. Many of these boats have wide decks and are pretty easy to get on and off. The captains have at least a six pack, they know the area, and they know the weather.

Walk the docks and look at these fishing charter boats to see if they would allow easy access. Then talk to the owners and see if they would be willing to take people out.

I suspect one could charter one of these boats and take out many people for the money needed buy a boat, not to mention the money needed to run and maintain a boat.

Later,
Dan

Hi Linda: I use to take senior citizens out on my boat for free. Then one day the group arrived with one person in a wheelchair. I was struggling to get the person onboard as i was by myself. Had no tiedowns for the wheelchair.
While out and not paying attention, I hit a shallow reef. No injuries but the prop was messed up and had to chug slowly back to port. This really shook me up. Learned soon after that I was committing liability suicide even though I was a good Samaritan. Long story short, I got the local water taxi company introduced to the folks and he took them out after that. He had the license and the insurance.
You might try a fishing charter or tourist company as a thought.
Barrie

Thank You For All Of Your Great Advise!!!

Hi Fourm, Thank you for All of the Great Advice! Yes, the insurance for what I would like to do is astronomical and cost prohibitive. Plus, I will need a license captain in good- standing to operate my boat. I should have contacted my insurance Company first before posting and wasting your valuable and knowledgeable time. :facepalm: Chartering boats who already hold all of the insurance and requirements is a much more financially and litigiously sound approach. Sadly, we do live in a sue, happy world, and I'm a firm believer of no good deed goes unpunished!
Thank you all once again for your Great Advice!

You have to determine how many nurses and skilled people you will need for each patient. Then you pretty much agree to leave the captain alone when he/she is at the helm. Take all the booze off the boat! You dont want any misunderstandings.
While “I’ve got you”. What is your opinion of the O2 concentrators, as seen on TV?
I do have an AED on board…. I just need a real life ‘patient’ on board to practice what I have been shown and taught. Volunteers ?
While I applaud your intentions and efforts, I personally believe the liability issues are too great.
Their first question will be, was there a helicopter available? Next, why couldn't you wait for one?
Sadly, the days of being ‘a good guy’ are long gone.
I wonder how many lawyers were transferred via boats on 9-11 and how many lawyers filed suits afterwards.
You need firm, in writing, legal advice from the USCG and MSOS etc.
Some people are just never satisfied if there the the possibility of a large settlement.

Last edited:
You have to determine how many nurses and skilled people you will need for each patient. Then you pretty much agree to leave the captain alone when he/she is at the helm. Take all the booze off the boat! You dont want any misunderstandings.
While “I’ve got you”. What is your opinion of the O2 concentrators, as seen on TV?
I do have an AED on board…. I just need a real life ‘patient’ on board to practice what I have been shown and taught. Volunteers ?
While I applaud your intentions and efforts, I personally believe the liability issues are too great.
Their first question will be, was there a helicopter available? Next, why couldn't you wait for one?
Sadly, the days of being ‘a good guy’ are long gone.
I wonder how many lawyers were transferred via boats on 9-11 and how many lawyers filed suits afterwards.
You need firm, in writing, legal advice from the USCG and MSOS etc.
Some people are just never satisfied if there the the possibility of a large settlement.
Old Dan 1943, Yep, I own to much, to risk it all! And each nurse comes with a 3 million malpractice policy, we will have attorneys on us like white-on-rice. The litigious reality leaves me at purchasing a small 34-36' trawler for my own personal pleasure and moving on to my next item on my bucket list! On the oxygen concentrator: it is best to get one through your insurance because the unit has to be maintained and evaluated that is putting out the correct 02 concentration every two years. However, the ones that are sold on TV usually end up on OfferUp or Craigslist for a fraction of the costs.
Thank You for your sound advice !

Portable O2 concentrators are a fantastic aid to O2 dependent persons. They are lightweight, nearly silent and have a very low battery draw. They have given a tremendous amount of freedom to the breathing impaired. I don't know about the cost but it must be covered by insurance because I rarely see the small O2 tanks being wheeled around anymore.

pete

pete

Portable O2 concentrators are a fantastic aid to O2 dependent persons. They are lightweight, nearly silent and have a very low battery draw. They have given a tremendous amount of freedom to the breathing impaired. I don't know about the cost but it must be covered by insurance because I rarely see the small O2 tanks being wheeled around anymore.

pete

pete

Pete, thank you for your comment.
I am just looking for an addition to my First Aid equipment, I do have an AED onboard

Was one of the principals in setting up, running and staffing a free clinic for a genetic neuro degenerate disease. Unfortunately in this litigious world you need to cover yourself for a multiplicity of exposures above and beyond what maybe applicable from USCG or other entities. Risks including trip and fall, facilities and of course medmal. Given a boat is a vehicle also injury from collision/allision, fire etc.
Like you we were a non profit with all professional staff donating their time and skills. Still staffs C.V.s were reviewed. All expenses carefully preserved and records kept to preserve our non profit status. We used a multiplicity of different hospitals clinics in order to decrease travel for our service population. We also acted under the blessing of the teaching hospital with which the majority of us had a teaching appointment and also had the blessing of each of the local hospital’s clinics we used.
This is the most important point as this allowed us access to the various hospital legal teams and well as being covered by their various liability policies. Of course our medmal was our own and transportation’s coverage was their responsibility.
So I would suggest lining up a “rabbi” (big brother, whatever you want to call it) to be your umbrella. I can reasonably assume like me you do not have the funds, expertise nor experience to see and deal with the potential pitfalls. Lawyers are expensive as is insurance. By incorporating larger entities we expended no funds for these issues while still maintaining our autonomy. This project involved a “orphan disease”. Sufficiently rare we did not have extensive resources. You may also want to appeal to a national organization serving the disabled population to obtain your legal and insurance coverage if one of your regional hospital groups or tertiary centers is unwilling.
We ran this clinic for over 30 years without mishap and with great benefit to our service population. The initial work was a momentary hassle. It was rewarding to do. So strongly encourage you to move forward. I think the decision to buy a boat, use other peoples boats, select people to be involved, select people to be served should all be predicated upon the legal structure you set up. I’m not knowledgeable on tax law in this instance. Perhaps donating the use of a boat would have benefits to the owner and operator(s). If so would think that would alleviate the need to purchase one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom