Boats like a DeFever 49 RPH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke 239

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Banna Strand
Vessel Make
Seadoo Challenger 230
Hi, I’m looking for an older trawler 45 to 52 feet, with the following features:
All fiberglass
Not a sun deck, something that you can board easily from the transom, without a ladder.
Twin engines, prefer Lehman, Perkins, not keen on Cat 3208
Two staterooms, two dry heads
Dingy on boat deck, not off the transom
Fly bridge
Stand up or crouch a little engine room, say 5’ 7” ceilings
Lower helm
Stabilizers

The DeFever 59 RPH ticks a lot of boxes, but they are a little hard to come by. Can you guys suggest some similar alternative so I can widen my search?

The Ocean Alexander Mk 1 meets all of your criteria except ER headroom. Its crawl or slide in, sit-up space. Not all will have stabilisers. Quite a few have been extended to 55'. Originally Lehmans 120 or the 270HP Cummins 555. Less common was 3208's. Many repowered with John Deere 6068's. They range from 1978 to 1984, and there were layout changes during that time. My preference is for the post 1980 examples which benefited from customer feedback I think.

This one has a flybridge of sorts, not as good as later examples but rest of boat is similar
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1978-ocean-alexander-mk-i-9122361/

This 1979 has been extended, and has a split forward cabin, and 3208's, but more in line with the later ones.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-ocean-alexander-my-8927117/

There were also a few flushdeck versions with aft cabins.

Last edited:
Defever 49 CMY, or a Defever 50 would meet those criteria.

Thanks! I’ll look at some more MK1s. That first one had two more bathtubs than I require, the world’s smallest flybridge, and I see what you mean about the crawl-around engine room, although it’s hard to judge headroom from a pic. It certainly looks hard to paint, if you catch my drift. The teak decks are holding their own. I’ll add that model to my list.

Defever 49 CMY, or a Defever 50 would meet those criteria.

Thanks, I’ve looked at the 49 CMY. You seem to know your DeFevers, is the 50 simply a modern version of the 49RPH? But with good things like John Deere engines, and no wet heads? The first example I found on the web was a 2008. I’d have to raise my budget for something that new, but prices may be softening.

Prices for well kept DeFevers are not softening. A few months ago we sold ours to an interested party with no listing required. I personally know of two other DFs that sold the same way.

Bottom line, find one by dock walking or querying the DF cruisers club. Sold prices on the unlisted gems do not show up on “sold boats” . Good luck in your search.

Thanks, I’ve looked at the 49 CMY. You seem to know your DeFevers, is the 50 simply a modern version of the 49RPH? But with good things like John Deere engines, and no wet heads? The first example I found on the web was a 2008. I’d have to raise my budget for something that new, but prices may be softening.

When you say a “wet head”? Do you mean a separate Shower stall? All the 49 RPH’s. I’ve seen including mine (2004) have a separate shower in the master suite. Be aware that there are 2 versions badged as “DeFever 49”. The Cockpit Motor Yacht 49 is often referred to as a DeFever 44+5, because it is essentially a 44 with a 5’ cockpit grafted on. The layout and hull is completely different from the 49 Raised Pilothouse. The RPH layout varies a little depending on which yard it came from. The early Sen Koh built ones have the flybridge forward and a mast. The more recent POCTA versions have the flybridge further aft and a foldable radar arch. The other main variations are Plan “A” have a centerline queen bed against the ER bulkhead whereas Plan “B” has the bed athwartships allowing an access door to the engine room.
John Deere’s became a more frequent option, in the early 00’s but at 67,000 lbs. 450 hp with 6068’TFM 50’s offers no practical advantage over the 270 hp Lehman or Perkins option.

Come June, River Girl will be up for sale if you are still looking then.

You might consider the Hatteras 48 LRC. It ticks most of your boxes with the possible exception of the engines. Some came with Lehmans but most had the optional 4-53 Detroits. The Detroits are more bullet proof but use a tad more in fuel. Parts for the Detroits are cheap and make up for the extra fuel. I like the Detroits in mine. Lost of people don't

Yes, that’s right. The 50 is an updated version of the 49. Just be aware that there are 2 49s. The Raised Pilothouse and Cockpit Motor Yacht. All 3 of these have separate showers at least in the master, and walk in engine rooms. Lehman or Perkins engines in all but the newest.

Ken

Marine trader made a 49rph similar in design to defever, etc… there’s been one on Craigslist Vancouver for a while now. Not sure how tall the engine room is though, and only one bathtub In the two “dry” heads.

When you say a “wet head”? Do you mean a separate Shower stall?

Come June, River Girl will be up for sale if you are still looking then.

Yes, I require one seperate shower stall, prefer both heads have seperate shower stall. I'll keep my eyes open for River Girl!

Yes, that’s right. The 50 is an updated version of the 49. Just be aware that there are 2 49s. The Raised Pilothouse and Cockpit Motor Yacht. All 3 of these have separate showers at least in the master, and walk in engine rooms. Lehman or Perkins engines in all but the newest.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I stongly prefer the RPH to the CMY.

Flatswing, what is the bridge clearance on your River Girl? Does the mast fold down?

Flatswing, what is the bridge clearance on your River Girl? Does the mast fold down?

Current bridge clearance is 23’ due to a fixed anchor light. River Girl is a POCTA built 49 RPH so no mast. It has a hinged radar arch. I have yet to fold it down and measure the air draft but expect it would be in the 15-17’ range.

The older Sen Koh etc. 49 RPH has the flybridge directly over the Pilothouse, they typically have a mast.

You are in an expensive neighborhood, but you already know that.

When you are shopping at the proverbial top of the pyramid the selection is sparse. But..They are out there. You have set your standards high, keep with it.

pete

You are in an expensive neighborhood, but you already know that.

When you are shopping at the proverbial top of the pyramid the selection is sparse. But..They are out there. You have set your standards high, keep with it.

pete

Agreed, I am out in front of this shedule-wise. All I really need is cash on hand, cast a wide net, and wait.

Current bridge clearance is 23’ due to a fixed anchor light. River Girl is a POCTA built 49 RPH so no mast. It has a hinged radar arch. I have yet to fold it down and measure the air draft but expect it would be in the 15-17’ range.

The older Sen Koh etc. 49 RPH has the flybridge directly over the Pilothouse, they typically have a mast.

Thanks! If it folds, it will work. I have not looked closely at the POCTA models. I found an old listing for your boat:

https://marinesource.com/boats-for-...Pilothouse-Charleston-SC&listingnmb=100805364

But no pictures and a partial description. Does it really have a seperate shower in the guest head? Does it have Perkins, or John Deer engines?

But no pictures and a partial description. Does it really have a seperate shower in the guest head? Does it have Perkins, or John Deer engines?[/QUOTE]

The guest head is a”wet head” circular shower curtain keeps the vanity dry. The rare times we have overnight guests, they use the master separate shower.

I have never heard/seen 49RPH’s with DD. Most came with Twin 135HP Lehman or Perkins. Around the millennium, JD 6068’s were offered and were popular. Mine has JD 6068TFM50’s - 225HP (turbo, no aftercooler).

Around the millennium, JD 6068’s were offered and were popular. Mine has JD 6068TFM50’s - 225HP (turbo, no aftercooler).

Thanks, JD's are amoung my favorites. I will be making a marina/boat shopping trip down your way later this summer.

I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to add a little info. We purchased a 2010 DeFever 50 CPMY about three years ago. Originally I wanted a 49 RPH because they are beautiful boats. Couldn't find one. We chose this 50 because it was the youngest DeFever we'd seen. This boat is a redesign of the 49CPMY with a wider beam of 16' vs 15', semi displacement hull, and larger engines (JD 6068SFM50- 300HP) which will push her up to 12kts WOT. The extra foot in length is seen in the forward cabin. The head is now "dry" with separate shower stall. There is a vanity table opposite the head on the port side. There were only 12 boats made during the years 2009-2017. I wasn't crazy about her looks but since owning her we have come to appreciate a couple of things;
1. The cockpit allows a more convenient way to board- from the dock and the water. It's also a convenient place to store lines and fenders.
2. The lazerette is caverness. Ours has an extra 100 gal fuel tank.
3. The salon/ lower helm is huge and allows better communication between the helm and galley.
4. The flybridge is larger with an L shaped port settee. (more storage space underneath) There's also room for a small refrigerator.
5. The aft deck is also very large. Ours has a build in settee and a built in grill.
My only complaint about this boat is the gelcoat finish. Lots of crazing and chipping.

Hope this helps. We live near Oriental, NC if you ever want to take a look at her.

The DF 48 has two dry heads, full walk around decks, easy access from either side and stern and a great ER. The CG is lower than a 49 with a similar hull design.

The tough part is finding a newer one as they are rare. Ours was purchased by a "by chance" dock looker who been searching for several years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom