Boat Yard Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcmgeary

Hello! My husband and I are new to forum and just purchased a 30 Mainship 1999 with Cummins 6BT. We have to get it transported from Kentucky ? to a boat yard on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Would like a ship yard to work with us on engine service and some other maintenance before we continue our trip to our home port of NJ. Any recommendations on a boat yard in this area would be appreciated! Thanks for any input! ☘️

There are plenty of good options but these are two I have personal experience with that I would recommend:

Herrington Harbor North is probably the largest boatyard on the Chesapeake Bay, it is on the western shore, about 30 minutes (by road) south of Annapolis and is well supported by a number of mechanical vendors. It is not cheap but well run, very professional and easy to access. If you download the service request form from their website, you will see a list of vendors that work out of this yard, I would check availability with the diesel vendor prior to going in this direction.

Another good option on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay is Washburn's Boatyard (at Calvert Marina) in Solomons Md. Gary Gateau (Drum Point Marine) is a well regarded Cummins mechanic who works out of whatever boatyard in Solomons that is convenient for you. Solomons is further from an an airport or mass transportation than other areas but is a beautiful port you would enjoy spending some time in

I'm sure there are plenty of other options, but these Are two to start with. Definitely make sure the mechanic can support your schedule before making any commitment.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Herrington North is a good suggestion... as is checking in with the engine people to see their availability before you decide.

Bert Jabins in Annapolis (Back Creek) has a similarly good rep.

Bay Bridge Marina, eastern shore at the foot of the Bay Bridge, might be another... and maybe Safe Harbor Narrows Point or Piney Narrows, both in Kent Narrows (eastern side of Kent Island).

And then there are several mobil diesel service companies who will drive to your marina location. Bay Shore Marine, Annapolis Mobil Marine, Shore Power, etc. And the local Cummins distributor may recommend (or at least suggest) others.

Probably best to pin down your diesel guys first. I think the marina is the easy part; actually getting on someone's work schedule may be more difficult.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom