Boat cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monti

Vessel Name
Perseverance
Vessel Make
Jefferson 53
Monti is new to this forum:
We have a Jefferson 53 ,2003, bought in 2021. I would love to have a camera showing live the engine room and the transom! With the new technology that is available, maybe, Can this desire be accomplished without hard wiring the cameras? Maybe through a Bluetooth system? Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks Pat.

Hi Pat,

Congrats on your new yacht!

I have a Raymarine ip camera (aft view) attached to my Raymarine MFD. I like it a lot for stern-to docking situations. But, it's hard wired.

I know there are wireless options out there and, I'm guessing that you've not received any responses yet because cameras have already been discussed in hundreds of posts that I've seen within the last couple of years. If you spend some time with the search function in this forum, you will hit pay dirt.

It might help generate more interest in this thread if you indicate how you'd prefer to see the image produced by your monitoring cameras. Separate screen(s)? On your MFD? (in which case it would be good to tell us what your MFD is...)

Lots of threads on cameras...

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015066045223804731395:zptj-edvjcy

Raymarine & 3rd Party IP Cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › raymarine-3rd-party-ip-cameras-53760
Thumbnail image
Oct 9, 2020 ... I am looking at adding a few IP (wired) cameras around the boat. Bought a switch and the adapters to connect everything together.
Wireless cameras on our boat? - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › wireless-cameras-our-boat-42998
Thumbnail image
Feb 10, 2019 ... I would like to set up a camera to monitor my boat remotely. There is ample wifi in the area. Do I need some sort of router or can these cameras ...
Engine room Cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › engine-room-cameras-33861
Thumbnail image
Aug 8, 2017 ... Dlink cameras. Less than a hundred bucks each. Gotta love night vision. I have 2 alarm systems. One by Lowes Iris, all wireless.
Adding cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › adding-cameras-61831
Thumbnail image
Jan 14, 2022 ... I need to add a back down camera to my Grand Banks Europa trawler for single handed docking. Extremely difficult getting wires from my.
Video cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › video-cameras-58834
Thumbnail image
Jul 11, 2021 ... 3MP HD Wireless Security Camera Outdoor, Pan Tilt Zoom, Two Way Audio, ... To prevent two of the engine room cameras from intermittently ...
Backup cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › backup-cameras-43258
Thumbnail image
Feb 24, 2019 ... We are looking for advice for an easy install back up camera. I assume a 12v wireless system would make sense. All advice is appreciated!
Wireless Cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › wireless-cameras-50895
Thumbnail image
May 21, 2020 ... Anyone install wireless cameras in the bilge, on the boat? Looking for ideas.
Wireless Cameras - Page 2 - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › wireless-cameras-50895-2
Thumbnail image
May 22, 2020 ... They clearly state that their plotters are not compatible with wireless IP cameras. They require the camera to be wired to the network.
Engine room camera to iPad display - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › engine-room-camera-ipad-display-16913
Thumbnail image
Oct 1, 2014 ... Does anyone have such a setup, I'd image a WiFi transmitting camera, then need a receiver or would the iPad just pick up off the camera with ...
Engine Room Cameras - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › forums › engine-room-cameras-58521
Thumbnail image
Jun 21, 2021 ... I'm thinking about installing a couple of engine room cameras to have a visual of the engines while cruising. I'm wondering if wireless ...

One thing I’d keep in mind is lag/buffering. If you can run Cat6 to each camera and do good quality ones (Axis is excellent). Cheaper cameras and especially wifi can sometimes lag many seconds behind the live image, prolly ok for the ER, not what I would want if using it to dock, again likely ok if the only use is to see if the skiff is still there…

I installed a $300 6 camera DVR system by Lorex. Sold by Costco. 2TByte DVR with remote viewing and no recurring fees. Simple wiring but not wireless. In my opinion by the time to get power to each camera location you probably could equally easy run a small wire back to the DVR. If you use true wireless cameras that have batteries they are not going to work well for continuous viewing. Plus I do not want to deal with more things to charge or change batteries. I put 2 cameras in the engine room, one on the mast look forward, one above the cockpit looking aft and one each in pilot house and saloon. Ran HDMI to a TV/monitor in my pilot house
If all I accomplished was being able to see my stern when docking or check a towed dinghy it was well worth it. But I find other benefits including recording my trips, checking on the RACOR gauges and generally what is happening in the engine room or checking the boat when at home (connected to the boat hotspot on LTE). It can send alerts upon motion detection and can even differentiate if it is a person. It has facial recognition but have never tried that.

Best $300 I have ever spent on my boat.

Agree on the NVR approach, I’ve also added 2 hdmi to rtsp converters which allow the NVR to record my N2KView screen and the output from my TZT.
AC

Back
Top Bottom