Anyone Know What This Is? Large gray cylinder on my steering arm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBG8492

Vessel Name
Sovereignty
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Like the title says, there's a large gray cylinder on my steering arm. I'd say it's about a foot long and maybe five or six inches thick.

It has an electrical cord coming out of it, but the cord is wrapped up and zip-tied to the cylinder. You can see that the connector is just hanging there.

I don't see any cables in the aft steering compartment that look like they were disconnected, so I can't reconnect it to see what breaks.

1717277545184.png

My guess would be an old style electrical autopilot actuator.

Is there another steer cylinder?

Ted
Yeah this is separate from the hydraulic cylinder that moves the rudder - I should have specified that.

My guess would be an old style electrical autopilot actuator.

I'm betting you're right. There are two old Raytheon 650 head units aboard and I haven't tested them. They power on and I use them for rudder angle because the old analog ones are dicey and slow to respond.

However, I've searched the web for that system and found a lot of pics of it, but none of them include that cylinder. And without any wiring back there, it would never have worked.

Plus, I would have figured the drive for those head units to be fluid-based.

Found this, so I'm guessing that the big gray thing is unnecessary to the function of the Raypilot and was probably just left in place when it was installed:

1717323718301.png

old defunct auto piolet. You should remove. More resistance on you system.

Like the title says, there's a large gray cylinder on my steering arm. I'd say it's about a foot long and maybe five or six inches thick.

It has an electrical cord coming out of it, but the cord is wrapped up and zip-tied to the cylinder. You can see that the connector is just hanging there.

I don't see any cables in the aft steering compartment that look like they were disconnected, so I can't reconnect it to see what breaks.

View attachment 155275
old style electrical autopilot actuator.

Back
Top Bottom