Anchoring in northern lake Huron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REO

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
1984 Albin 27
We are planning to take our 27 foot Albin to the North Channel of Lake Huron next summer. I plan to purchase a new anchor for this trip. What are the bottom conditions in this area and what is the best anchor for this area. We currently have a 20 pound stainless bruce that is too small, but it looks good in the marina.

When I was there in my 40 Albin I used a 44 lb Delta with all chain and it held everywhere I went.

My Rocna worked well last year in Georgian Bay and the North Channel. Most of what I encountered was sand and mud. Anchored in a couple of spots where the anchor first had to go through the weeds.

Ted

What anchor you use will also depend on the style of bow pulpit you have. A lot of the really nice new anchors have a roll bar that will not fit into the pulpit on some boats. We have a Bruce anchor and it is ok but ant anchor wit a roll bar won’t fit in our pulpit. So I haven’t decided to replace the Bruce yet.

The cruising guide talks about tying to shore. In BC we occasionally tied to shore by wrapping line around a tree. Is that common in the North channel?

The cruising guide talks about tying to shore. In BC we occasionally tied to shore by wrapping line around a tree. Is that common in the North channel?

Oh yes. Lots of stern tying going on there.

I agree with Ted. Holding is good, but in some areas weeds may be a challenge. I liked the Bruce on my last boat, but it wasn't great in weeds. My current Rocna works all the time.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom