Ais

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I’ve sold my boat how do and bc where do I transfer my AIS number ?

Your AIS number is your boat's MMSI.

If it was issued by the FCC directly as part of the ship's license, the 1st step is for you to cancel the license and the 2nd step is for the new owners to request a license and list that MMSI as part of the request:

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...me-mobile/ship-radio-stations/maritime-mobile

If the boat doesn't have a ship's license, the MMSI was most likely issued by BoatUS or Power Squadron. Contact the original issuer and they can help.

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-services/membership/mmsi
https://www.usps.org/php/mmsi_new/index.php

If you aren't in the US, you'll probably need to reach out to your fcc equivalent, etc.

Depending upon circumstances new owner may need to change the MMSI for all his new to him boats electronics. The ships license is different than the operator license which travels with that specific operator. Some people like to not have their MMSI stay with a boat they sold. The boat US number is only good for domestic, non commercial purposes to my understanding. Our current boat had a Boat US number that was over a decade old. We could not transfer it. We changed all our electronics except the VHF and AIS which were newer than the rest of the suite. Needed a tech to change the MMSI or could have removed those devices and send them to manufacturers to change. Now have MMSI which is good anywhere.
Boat we sold had multiple radios including vHF, satellite and SSB as well as multiple devices with MMSI encoded. New owner used tech to enter new MMSI and has new operators license for him.
You only get a few chances to enter the MMSI into some devices. After that only a tech or the manufacturer can do it.

Also try to get the new owner to update the AIS programming to reflect any boat name change. I can't tell you how often I see boats that have been renamed but are still broadcasting an old name. There is one docked behind me right now broadcasting an old name.

All the boats I have sold that had AIS are all still broadcasting themselves as "Tanglewood", so when I sold my last one I included in the contract that all the MMSI info would be reset and the buyer would have to reprogram all of it. Then I cleared all the info before I turned over the boat. All evidence shows that you can't count on a buyer to do all that's needed, even if contractually obligated, so I erase all my stuff before the sale, and they can then do what they want. It adds some expense, but tiny in the scope of a sale. I also de-licensed software like Coastal Explorer since that's a personal license, not a boat license. All was spelled out for the buyer, so no surprises.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom