AIS Receiver advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Further to my previous login I would appreciate opinion on the locally (NZ) manufactured AIS Receiver on Marine electronics, best value for money.
My cruising is primarily coastal.
I appreciate the site does not give full technical data however any comment or advice appreciated

Further to my previous login I would appreciate opinion ...AIS Receiver

I have no knowledge of this product, but I can tell you that I bought an AIS receiver (from another TF guy) and within a week I realized I needed to go the extra cost and get a transceiver. Fortunately, another TF guy bought my supernumerary receiver.

My advice would be: do it right the first time; you will like the full capability.:lol:
p.s.: the bigger the display, the better.

Last edited:
AP, I'm wondering why you prefer a large display on the AIS transceiver. I can't think of anyone who uses the display, if it isn't a black box in the first place. I ,personally, like the AIS targets displayed on my plotter screen. To me, that makes the most sense.

personally, like the AIS targets displayed on my plotter screen. To me, that makes the most sense.

My post does seem a bit unclear. I always displayed AIS targets on my plotter, which was in turn displayed on a 13" BigBay daylight monitor...when I had a boat, of course.

Hi Phil, I am not familiar with that particular AIS receiver but in general I always try to caution people about buying products from sites or companies like this, especially when it comes to a critical safety device like AIS. I certainly don't mean to belittle this company, we all start somewhere, but I think you would be better off spending a few bucks more for something that has been tested, certified, built to standards, etc. just my two cents.

Another quick point is we get a lot of customers that buy a receiver and come back in a year or two and wish they would have bought a transceiver. So while it can be a significant jump in pricing, maybe worth an extra consideration to determine whether or not it's worth the investment to you to also be seen by other boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I'm in the process of installing a Quark QK-A024 AIS receiver in our boat to interface with our ipad via wifi, using this 2 year old homebrew implementation YouTube for guidance
. The Quark receiver with WiFi output appears to be $10 less than the AISdigital unit. Quark makes several other configurations of receivers. I have no personal experience with that unit yet but the YouTube appears to have 32 favorable/0 unfavorable comments.

Back
Top Bottom