Advice on stainless framing for a solar hard top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brier_John

Vessel Name
Adagio
Vessel Make
1987 President 37 Double Cabin Sundeck
After this trip I am on now up the inside passage we have decided to make some changes. We are looking for a bigger boat. On this boat I plan to install a hardtop over the flybridge to hold at least 1200w of solar panels. I will put more up there if I can fit them.

I can build the top itself at home. I can make a mold and build up a fiberglass top with the needed pathways and supports for the solar. But, I will need someone to build the stainless framing. I also want to add a frame around the stern to extend the boat deck covering over the cockpit with canvas.

So, I am looking for a person or shop in the PNW that could work with me on custom brackets and railing fabrication. Or, I am looking for someone in this group who does that kind of work who might want to trade for some solar or electrical/electronics work.

I am open to ideas from the community here before I end up at a yard writing a check.

We are looking primarily at Taiwan RPH trawlers like the DeFever 49. I think I have found the boat which is a Sen Koh forward flybridge model. Here is a picture of a boat with a top similar to what I want to make.

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 129
No suggestions but often , here, Canvas cover makers have people who can fabricate SS.
Try some of them. Some won't be interested, some will.
Of course people who do sailboat rigging may also be interested.
If you are in a marina ask around after looking at boats with structures that are similar.

Last edited:
Hi Brier_John,

My go-to shop for stainless railings in the PNW is Railmakers Northwest.

https://www.railmakersnw.com/

Not cheap, but very, very good at what they do.

Regards,

Pete

Another thing you might consider- some semi flexible panels can be attached directly to canvas with zippers. No issue of heat build up...and they are very light.
I've done it on a sailboat and it worked well.

Yhe company that did our Stamoid enclosure also does S/S work. They do very nice metal work. You might try some canvas fabricators in your area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom